the GREEN HORNET went 'dead' - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
the GREEN HORNET went 'dead'

I was out for a ride on the 8th, to West Kelowna, and TRIED to do some shopping.

I stopped at the Source, then when I got back on, and turned the key back ON, the normal lights and FI pump came on, but when I hit the starter, EVERYTHING went dead - NOTHING! I checked the main fuse - it's OK. Tried the key ON - lights all OK, but as soon as I hit the start button - everything went black, w/ NO clicks or other sounds.

A truck pulled in and I asked if he had jumper cables. We hooked up his battery, then it started normally, UNTIL I removed his (+) lead when everything died again. I figured I must be a 'victim' of burned-stator OR dead battery, and that's when I called a Kawisaki shop a few miles up the road, followed by a towing company once I found that they had no means of getting me. The truck arrived and I got him to 'flat-bed' me home (as I have a stator and Compu-Fire R/R on the shelf, just IN CASE...), where I checked the battery voltage, expecting it was dead. It indicated FULLY CHARGED, so I did a load-test and despite turning the heat part RED-HOT, it showed about 400 cold-cranking amps, so - NO PROBLEM in my stator OR battery, so yesterday -

I removed the gas-tank and fairings to get to the (-) and (+) leads to the engine and starter, removed the bolt or nut, 'scrubbed' the terminal ends w/ steel-wool, re-attached them; then re-checked the MAIN 30A fuse (I checked it where I broke down - VERY hard to pull-apart) and sprayed the area w/ WD40 so it's easier to remove now; then sprayed 'video-contact-cleaner' into the ignition-key-slot, then 'wiggled' the key in there, then re-installed the tank and all leads I'd taken apart, hit the starter - and it started normally, so I let it run till warm - indicating about 14.1V, so it's OK.

I kind of suspect that something in the ignition switch was malfunctioning but got cleaned when I shot in the 'video-contact-cleaner, tho' I don't know for sure (my '09 was a 'left-over' which I bought in Nov '10, so it sat around for QUITE awhile...). I'll go for a ride shortly and see how it runs. This is just a "heads-up" in case one of you has similar indications sometime....

I'll add another post once I get back from the "test-ride"....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-10-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Long story short if it's broken....WD-40? Glad to hear the hornet is back in action, but that is a weird one.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you got it figured out NOW instead of 1/2 way up to Dawson City in June I guess a small can of 'video-contact-cleaner' might be added to my tool kit.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Glad you got it figured out NOW instead of 1/2 way up to Dawson City in June I guess a small can of 'video-contact-cleaner' might be added to my tool kit.
Jeff - the more I ponder what happened, the MORE I believe it was a problem in the switch, so I'm going to make 'spraying video-contact-cleaner' into the switch a rather regular occurrence, so I do NOT plan to carry any to Dawson....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 03:00 PM

This is high tech space age lube for electronic switches (and keys, ...) Just squirt in around edges, and wait a couple of days for it to seep through: good as new $80 switches. O/W, your problem will keep happening. On Amazon, life time supply can for about $25: Priceless, especially on older bikes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...I kind of suspect that something in the ignition switch was malfunctioning but got cleaned when I shot in the 'video-contact-cleaner, tho' I don't know for sure (my '09 was a 'left-over' which I bought in Nov '10, so it sat around for QUITE awhile...). I'll go for a ride shortly and see how it runs. This is just a "heads-up" in case one of you has similar indications sometime....

I'll add another post once I get back from the "test-ride"....

NOT!

Tried to go for a ride Saturday, but the SAME symptoms....

I'm not a big golf fan, but I DID get to watch a lot of the Masters both days.

THIS morning I got to thinking that PERHAPS the battery is bad, even tho' it seems to test OK, so I just bought another, filled it w/ the acid, and it's on the charger for a few hours.... (I noticed my "build date" is 08/12, so the battery is AT LEAST 6.5 years old....)

Wish me luck...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
NOT!

Tried to go for a ride Saturday, but the SAME symptoms....

I'm not a big golf fan, but I DID get to watch a lot of the Masters both days.

THIS morning I got to thinking that PERHAPS the battery is bad, even tho' it seems to test OK, so I just bought another, filled it w/ the acid, and it's on the charger for a few hours.... (I noticed my "build date" is 08/12, so the battery is AT LEAST 6.5 years old....)

Wish me luck...!

may the volts be with you

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It's fixed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
may the volts be with you
Thanks silvie.

Put the new battery in, attached the leads, turned the key....

ALL KIND OF LIGHTS CAME ON, and the fuel pump WHIRRED, then its light went OUT! Pushed that little lever on the right-side grip - IT STARTED!

Got ATGATT, jumped on and went for a 140 km (80 odd miles) ride over an hour and a bit.

So - DESPITE showing as OK on a 'load-tester', my battery was toast. Sometimes the cure can be easy....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:03 PM

Garage
That did not sound easy. To me it was a nerve wracking "why wont you work" problem. Then time, tons of mental energy going down various troubleshooting and problem solving roads. Then to find out the load tester LIED to you. But now I know if every the problem shows up, to disconnect battery use jumpers to test run the bike to verify operational system. Thank you sir for the information. I would have been running down roads like is there fouling in the solenoid causing a path to ground. (this happened on my last bike)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks silvie.

ALL KIND OF LIGHTS CAME ON, and the fuel pump WHIRRED, then its light went OUT! Pushed that little lever on the right-side grip - IT STARTED!

Got ATGATT, jumped on and went for a 140 km (80 odd miles) ride over an hour and a bit.

So - DESPITE showing as OK on a 'load-tester', my battery was toast. Sometimes the cure can be easy....

I'm glad it was an easy fix. The weather is beginning to be too good to have a sick bike on hand. Now where is my WD40?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks silvie.

Glad to see all is good !

On that subject

I had to get me a battery tender

Got a Noco Genius G750 last sunday

Their's a function on it that I don't know wtf it is

They call it ''desulfating'' or something alike

Seems that at a certain point, a battery sulfatize and this little tender has a function to shake the light out of that sulfur

That tender in on special at Canadian Tire these days

Maybe this was what your battery had ... Maybe

My 2 cents

Ciao

LOP
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
...Maybe this was what your battery had ... Maybe....
Maybe, but at 6.5 years old - changed!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode