Versys stalled right after start (cold start) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys stalled right after start (cold start)

Hi All,

For the last few weeks, almost everytime when I start up my 2009 Versys; it will stall right after. The second time when I start it up, it will be fine.

My versys have over 11k miles on it, and this started a few weekend ago.

Anyone has any idea what is wrong with it?

FYI, I still have the original spark plugs and oil change every 3000 miles or so.

Thanks in advance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Check the idling when the engine is warm. Mine is set kind of low also, around 800 RPM, but I don't have any problem yet so I just left it.

Idling suppose to be around 1300 rpm on a warm engine.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 AM

Mine does that every once in a while. I usually start it and wait 10 seconds before moving off. Sometimes it doesn't go into "cold start mode" and increase the idle until I give the throttle a small amount of input. Once I do that it goes into cold start mode and idles high until warm.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Thanks for remembering question I posted a while back. That problem was when the engine was warm. My current problem is when the Engine is cold (first start in the day)

Invader, I had adjusted that a while back already to around 1200-1300 rpm.

Any other idea? BTW, I have been using the Lucas gas treatment thing for a while now too... My MPG gone up 2-5 MPG!!! Thanks My MPG on my Saturn Vue also gone up from 17-19 MPG to 20-23 MPG!!! Wow

If I give it some gas when starting the bike, it will be fine... Not really a big problem... Just wonder why it's stalling...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

Last edited by LAVersys; 04-24-2010 at 04:07 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 AM

That Lucas fuel treatment sure is impressive.
What's your highest idle rpm at on a cold start when it doesn't stall? You may want to dial it up a bit by rotating secondary (upper) throttle sensor clockwise a tad.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:37 AM

Do you let it warm up or just start and take off? I usually start mine before I put my Jacket, gloves and helmet on and have never had that problem. I do that even on warm days.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That Lucas fuel treatment sure is impressive.
What's your highest idle rpm at on a cold start when it doesn't stall? You may want to dial it up a bit by rotating secondary (upper) throttle sensor clockwise a tad.
When it start up (cold), RPM will drop a little within 1/2 second and if it doesn't stall, it will then idle around 1500-1800 I think, I will check and make sure next time.

The bike is park in a garage. I don't start up till I push the bike out, don't like the garage to smell like exhaust fuel... about 10-20F different in temperature between in and out of garage... I don't remember having a problem with start up when I am out at night and the bike is parked a few hours in the cold... If I remember correctly, the idle never go over 2000 rpm even in 50F+.

Secondary throttle sensor??!! Where is that? Sorry...

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Do you let it warm up or just start and take off? I usually start mine before I put my Jacket, gloves and helmet on and have never had that problem. I do that even on warm days.

I never warm up my bike... I dress up, jacket, helmet, gloves then start the engine, let it idle for about 15 -20 seconds and take off... Slow slow slow for the first few miles... Up shift quicky... RPM low around 2000-3000.

I read somewhere that warming up your engine just waste gas a while back... Been doing that with all my bikes and cars for years...

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:56 AM

How long do you hold your finger on the starter? I usually need to hold it for two or three seconds to ensure it starts properly. I can hit it and start instantly, but I think the ECU needs to get it's data 'up to date' and it will sometimes stall.

I don't have to give it any throttle or rev it, just hold the starter button until it has fired up properly.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:07 AM

Your fast idle rpm is fast enough, so no need to touch the subthrottle sensor... Cold start's fast idle function can be avoided if it's started before the ECU has time to complete its subthrottle valve actuator cycle (open and close).
At 11000 miles, you're due for new spark plugs. Recommended replacement interval is at every 7500 miles. Even though they may still 'look' good, the inner edge of ground electrode wears down which increases the gap, and it also rounds off as it wears, increasing its resistance to arc (spark).
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
+1. I do the same thing. Before I start, I blip the throttle. An old mechanic told me it clears the old gas mixtures in the engine. I can't be sure if it is true but I do it.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your fast idle rpm is fast enough, so no need to touch the subthrottle sensor... Cold start's fast idle function can be avoided if it's started before the ECU has time to complete its subthrottle valve actuator cycle (open and close).
At 11000 miles, you're due for new spark plugs. Recommended replacement interval is at every 7500 miles. Even though they may still 'look' good, the inner edge of ground electrode wears down which increases the gap, and it also rounds off as it wears, increasing its resistance to arc (spark).
I will be replacing the spark plugs and clean the air filter in the next few weeks and see how things go... Thank for all your advise Invader!

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post
How long do you hold your finger on the starter? I usually need to hold it for two or three seconds to ensure it starts properly. I can hit it and start instantly, but I think the ECU needs to get it's data 'up to date' and it will sometimes stall.

I don't have to give it any throttle or rev it, just hold the starter button until it has fired up properly.
I think about 1/2 second... I don't really pay attention... I go by listening to the engine start up... I might try holding it 2 to 3 seconds just to see what happen... Thanks

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
I think about 1/2 second... I don't really pay attention... I go by listening to the engine start up... I might try holding it 2 to 3 seconds just to see what happen... Thanks
No need to hold the starter switch any longer than it takes to start the engine. Just make sure the ECU has time to complete its subthrottle valve actuator cycle before you do start it.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
a subthrottle valve actuator cycle, used to drive a truck years ago that had a maxi torque exstended overdrive range splitter transmission don't understand either but sounds cool LOL
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No need to hold the starter switch any longer than it takes to start the engine. Just make sure the ECU has time to complete its subthrottle valve actuator cycle before you do start it.
You meant when I turn on the ignition, wait till "Gauge" or "Diagnostic" done before starting? I always do.... I wait till the speedometer show 0, the fuel pump or what ever finish the Hizzzzing sound, then I start the engine.

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:23 AM

Yeah, once the fuel pump has pressurized the fuel rail (Bziiiiiiiii!!) and the subthrottle servo has cycled (Hizzzzzzz Dzzzzzzz!!), you're ready to start engine.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Yeah, once the fuel pump has pressurized the fuel rail (Bziiiiiiiii!!) and the subthrottle servo has cycled (Hizzzzzzz Dzzzzzzz!!), you're ready to start engine.
Thank goodness for that invader, i now understand what your saying
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I think there's a CLICK in there somewhere too

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe I need to wait a little longer for it to finish talking to itself before I hit the starter for that two or three seconds. I'll listen more carefully to it next time.

You can help make Clem a household name

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode