Do SS braided brake lines make a difference? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Do SS braided brake lines make a difference?

I installed Gaffer SS braided brake lines last fall. Unfortunately I did not have much of a chance to ride the bike after the install due to the oncoming winter so had no real back to back comparison experience. I do notice there is less sponginess in the brake pull at the point of max lever pull however am not really sure how much difference it actually makes on the road. Part of the issue is I think I need to test back to back with another Versys with the stock lines. I also spent a lot of time bleeding the brakes to ensure there was absolutely no micro bubbles of air left in the system. Probably pumped 5x the reservoir capacity of brake fluid through the system to do this. What's your experience with braided lines?

One thing I have noticed though in my previous bike is replacing the stock pads with EBC HH pads did make a noticeable difference in front brake feel. They have less initial bite than the stock pads but provided a much more linear progression of stopping power wrt lever pressure. I had less fear of accidental wheel lock up when applying max brake force which I think might have translated into quicker stops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A little. I like the O.E.M. HH pads better than the EBC.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 PM

It has less 'woody' feeling. Better braking response. Rear brakes feels more bite but still wish it could bite better.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I installed Gaffer SS braided brake lines last fall. Unfortunately I did not have much of a chance to ride the bike after the install due to the oncoming winter so had no real back to back comparison experience. I do notice there is less sponginess in the brake pull at the point of max lever pull however am not really sure how much difference it actually makes on the road. Part of the issue is I think I need to test back to back with another Versys with the stock lines. I also spent a lot of time bleeding the brakes to ensure there was absolutely no micro bubbles of air left in the system. Probably pumped 5x the reservoir capacity of brake fluid through the system to do this. What's your experience with braided lines?...
When I installed mine (2 front lines, 1 rear), bleeding took quite awhile UNTIL I tried ALSO squeezing the front lever while looking into the reservoir. I saw a large bubble of air several times, then none, and they were good when I re-filled the master cylinder.

I find them good, ESPECIALLY the rear SS line - NOW I find the rear brake actually USEFUL!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a good result with the front with stainless lines and Vesrah RJL pads. I was able to find the pads on Street&Comp....they're the same as fits SV650s (forget what year, but the website lists all other compatible fitments).

Made enough of a difference that I may not bother with the 4-pot caliper upgrade.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Stainless lines and new pads usually go on at the same time- it's hard at that point to quantify what made the biggest difference. It seems that the OEM pads on the '15 bikes are better than what they had been using, but mine were not good on the '09. With the lines and EBC HH installed braking was worlds better. Or maybe it was the Conti Attack Sumo tires I had installed at the same time...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When I installed mine (2 front lines, 1 rear), bleeding took quite awhile UNTIL I tried ALSO squeezing the front lever while looking into the reservoir. I saw a large bubble of air several times, then none, and they were good when I re-filled the master cylinder.

I find them good, ESPECIALLY the rear SS line - NOW I find the rear brake actually USEFUL!
And that is while still running the OEM brake pads!!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode