So with spring closing in on the Midwest, I had to get the bike out of the garage. A week or so ago we had a great 70 degree day, kind of a fluke though, and I took the bike to work- I just had to take it for a ride you know?
So the weather is crap again. Have the bike all taken apart and am doing some maintenance.
- Thorough cleaning.
- Tire pressure/inspection - good to go
- Tank emptied of all stabilized gas and refilled.
- Oil and filter.
- Air filter cleaned.
- Battery checked/good/charged.
- Valve clearances? Why not. Intakes well in spec, exhausts... close, will probably have to change them out next time.
- Throttle body check/sync
- Throttle/clutch cable adjustment and lubrication.
- Brake line inspection, pads inspected. looks good. Fluid good.
- Coolant level good.
- Chain/sprocket inspection/slack adjustment if necessary.... dirty, will have to clean and re-lube... otherwise that looks......
Master Link Clip - GONE! Side plate still attached.
Upon discovery I kinda remembered on my way home during that first ride I heard an odd sound, something quick, like metal hitting something- and then nothing more... Still not sure truly when or why it came off, but it's time to get a new master link and clip... and time to safety wire that mofo. Also going to dot that clip with some blue loctite, not for holding it on, but in hopes of being able to more quickly spot a missing clip during what will now be every time before the ride inspection intervals...
So I will be getting a new xring master clip type.. and probably a spare or two. Cleaned that front sprocket area, and kerosene on the chain makes it beautiful again. No missing xrings, and once the new master link is in.... good to go.
Still need to get the fork oil changed though... no room, dont have the right tools... but yet I really don't want to take it to the dealer....
Moral of the story... Do your maintenance. Check your clips...
and enjoy the great weather that will be heading our way soon!