Spring Maintenance - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Spring Maintenance

So with spring closing in on the Midwest, I had to get the bike out of the garage. A week or so ago we had a great 70 degree day, kind of a fluke though, and I took the bike to work- I just had to take it for a ride you know?

So the weather is crap again. Have the bike all taken apart and am doing some maintenance.

- Thorough cleaning.
- Tire pressure/inspection - good to go
- Tank emptied of all stabilized gas and refilled.
- Oil and filter.
- Air filter cleaned.
- Battery checked/good/charged.
- Valve clearances? Why not. Intakes well in spec, exhausts... close, will probably have to change them out next time.
- Throttle body check/sync
- Throttle/clutch cable adjustment and lubrication.
- Brake line inspection, pads inspected. looks good. Fluid good.
- Coolant level good.
- Chain/sprocket inspection/slack adjustment if necessary.... dirty, will have to clean and re-lube... otherwise that looks......

OH WAIT.

Master Link Clip - GONE! Side plate still attached.

Upon discovery I kinda remembered on my way home during that first ride I heard an odd sound, something quick, like metal hitting something- and then nothing more... Still not sure truly when or why it came off, but it's time to get a new master link and clip... and time to safety wire that mofo. Also going to dot that clip with some blue loctite, not for holding it on, but in hopes of being able to more quickly spot a missing clip during what will now be every time before the ride inspection intervals...

So I will be getting a new xring master clip type.. and probably a spare or two. Cleaned that front sprocket area, and kerosene on the chain makes it beautiful again. No missing xrings, and once the new master link is in.... good to go.

Still need to get the fork oil changed though... no room, dont have the right tools... but yet I really don't want to take it to the dealer....

Moral of the story... Do your maintenance. Check your clips...

and enjoy the great weather that will be heading our way soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Don't forget the Blinker Fluid...very important!

I change brake fluid yearly. I just bleed out the old and add fresh until I get fresh clear fluid out the bleeder line. I never keep an opened bottle of brake fluid around as it picks up water anyway.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I just FINISHED my spring maintenance on BIG RED....

Gas tank filled along w/ 2 oz of STABIL, battery set up on a battery tender, chain sprayed w/ WD40 and NOT wiped down, tires checked, both ends UP on T-Rex stands, front disc lock ON, cable lock thru BOTH wheels, bike cover ON.

When I arrive back in BC Thursday night, I'll start to REVERSE all that on the GREEN HORNET, and, HOPEFULLY, be set to go for a ride SOON....

BTW - I rode 6,289 miles between 25 October and today....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

I must add, that after doing all this and finally getting parts in for that master link (and spares) and putting it all together.... between some fresh gas, new plugs, fresh oil, and definitely being out of adjustment (and now back in) on the throttle body sync.... runs REAAAAL nice now.

Was worth all the effort! And now I have some peace of mind that I'm good to go maintenance wise.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
New to me Versys with 6000 miles..

Cleaned the air filter the other day. With close to 6000 miles on the odometer it was quite dirty and discoloured. I'm making this an annual task from now on. Used K&N filter cleaner and tack oil which works really well.

As a side note, noticed the filter element is made much better in the 2010 than the 2008 model.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-30-2015 at 02:40 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...As a side note, noticed the filter element is made much better in the 2010 than the 2008 model.
Can you provide MORE info, possibly a pic???

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...As a side note, noticed the filter element is made much better in the 2010 than the 2008 model.
Can you provide MORE info, possibly a pic???
I seem to recall having to position the foam in the frame to avoid gaps on my 08. 2010 filter seemed more solid. Sorry no pictures. If you need a new filter I would buy a BMC rather than OEM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 PM

I'm about to drop my oil pan again and replace the gasket, possibly upgrade the coolant hoses (I have one with a tedious leak), brake lines. The obvious oil, air filter, plugs.. My chain and 44t rear are new, as well as less than 1k on new michelin pr3 Can't wait to get her out, the salt is almost gone off the NY roads, but not quite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode