Spray can paint job - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Spray can paint job

Thought I would chronicle my amateur spray can paint job as I found professional looking results are possible for comparatively little money and not much work. In hindsight it turned out to be a bunch of 15 minute jobs over a 2 week period rather than one big job due to curing/wait times. www.colorrite.com allows you to look up your color code online. Most most auto paint supply shops will mix up a custom spray can of color matched paint for ~$30.

Also required is a can of flexible bumper high fill primer (<$10), a can of clear coat lacquer (<$10), a rubber sanding block and a couple of sheets of 400, 800 and 2000 grit paper. If you have damage that needs fixing you'll also need a Plastex kit and a tube of glazing putty. The Plastex kit is pricey but has enough material to do many, many repairs to pretty much anything made out of plastic. See cheesy video for what it can do. It's really awesome stuff!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fairing_before1.jpg (104.4 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg Fairing_scratches.jpg (133.9 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 03-17-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Forgot to photograph before picture of crack and missing chunk of plastic on top of fairing. This was already fixed at this point. Light grey area is Plastex that was used to fill in and reform missing plastic chip. It also bonded crack from backside. I used masking tape applied over the missing section as a mold for the Plastex.

Glazing putty applied over gouges and indentations and then sanded flush with surface using 800 grit and sanding block

Getting the area repaired earlier with Plastex smooth with primer and glazing putty. The red coating is primer and it functions well as a leveling guide when sanding.

The first step was to rough sand the fairing with 400 grit. Next was to repair cracks and missing pieces with Plastex. Finally I filled in gouges depressions with glazing putty.

Next came the primer application. Applying the primer coat took the longest as I needed to make 4 attempts to get a perfectly smooth surface. Basically paint once, sand with 800 and block and take down rough spots, paint again, repeat until fairing is fully covered with primer and surface is perfectly smooth. High fill nature of primer means it will fill small scratches and tiny surface imperfections.

Once the primer was done I laid down two light color coats. Note this will not stick directly to the plastic fairing. It will only adhere to the primer. You can't really sand the color coat as it has the consistency of a vinyl coating when dried. Two soft for sanding. It also takes 72 hours to dry hard or at least as hard as it is going to get which is not hard at all.

Followed this up with 5 coats of clear coat and finally polishing the clear coat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plastex_repair_1.jpg (113.9 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg Surface_prep.jpg (83.4 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg Primer_sanding_1.jpg (85.8 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 03-17-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage

When the lacquer top coat is applied it makes the finish high gloss. The picture above shows the color coat before the lacquer is applied.

After applying 5 coats of lacquer, letting it flash dry between coats, and then letting it cure for 72 hours I hit the fairing with a sanding block and 2000 grit paper to remove all unevenness following by a lengthy application of rubbing compound (I used head light restorer as rubbing compound because that's what I had) and an applicator wheel on my electric drill. This really made a huge difference in the quality of the finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color_coat_applied.jpg (150.6 KB, 346 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
looks good

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:46 AM

Plastex is amazing stuff...I used it on some unobtanium for an '84 CB700S

I went from this...(after I lost it on the freeway, then found it 3 weeks later along the side of said freeway)

To this...(after lots of hours with Plastex and a professional paint/decal job. I even fooled the painter with how well the repaired side cover was)

Yes this is the same totally jacked up side from the before pic

You can see the repairs on the left side here, including new mounting tabs that were also made with plastex.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
Plastex is amazing stuff...I used it on some unobtanium for an '84 CB700S
First, notice how I deleted the photo info on the quote, so the there's not multiple sets of the same photo? But damn man, amazing job. I'm really excited that you had that warning sticker attached!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 PM

Nice work. I've gotten some really nice finishes in the past using an enamel spray paint like Rustoleum. Multiple thin coats, wet sand, polish and enjoy. All about finishing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 AM

Good info here. How do we get this into the "Sticky" section of the forum?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode