Steering woobles after changing tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to nienaut
Steering woobles after changing tires

hi,

A few days ago I replaced stock tires (after around 20.000! km) for new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmarts. Well, the tires were balanced and every screw is on its place etc. everything seems to be perfect. Except for a wobbling in the steering. You can't call it a real shimmy, but the steering is just wobbling a little bit when I reach 60-70 km/h. By 100 km/h you can't notice it anymore. I was at the dealer - they say I'm exaggerating because they can't notice that anything wrong but I feel the difference. Any ideas what to do know? Did you ever had the same problem? greetings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 06:56 AM

I have the same tires and I have noticed the opposite. I find the Roadsmarts are very neutral compared to the OEM Dunlops. You can feel the wobbling through bars or your ass?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

on the bars. you don't feel it that much, but you can see it when you let off the bars. maybe the tire is wrongly balanced?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 AM

More than any other bike I have owned, I have noticed that if, at speed you lightly shake the bars, you could induce a speed wobble. I believe it's a function of the short wheelbase and semi-aggressive steering geometry that the Versys design brings to the table. On the other hand it's the reason why we see the amazing cut and thrust handling of the V.
It wouldn't hurt to have the dealer re-balance the tires.
BTW...no one would in their right mind would intentionally try to induce a speed wobble. Take my word for it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

Last edited by StonedGP; 04-12-2010 at 07:25 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Tkanks for the answer. I'll give it a try with a re-balancing.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nienaut View Post
hi,
A few days ago I replaced stock tires ... everything seems to be perfect. Except for a wobbling in the steering. You can't call it a real shimmy, but the steering is just wobbling a little bit when I reach 60-70 km/h. By 100 km/h you can't notice it anymore.
As it is possible to bend a rim during a tire change, I would check for Axial (side-to-side) Wheel Runout.

This should really be done with a dial indicator but if you donít have one, you could do a rough check as follows:

Put it up on stands, hold something (e.g., a ruler) against the fork/swingarm with the end near the rim and rotate the wheel while watching the gap between the ruler & rim.

The factory Service Limit (maximum allowable) is only 1.0 mm (0.04Ē) so if you can see any runout, itís probably too much and Iíd take it to the dealer & have them do it with a dial indicator (preferably with you watching).

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM

yep what he said. I am not sure where you are but I bought one of THESE

And one of THESE

They are not the tools of a watch maker but for as often as I use them they are great. You will use them for brakes discs and many other things.

edited for (sp)

Ride em if ya got em!

Last edited by tinner; 04-12-2010 at 07:31 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can also check if the tire is well mounted on the rim and fully popped into place. It may not be properly seated all around. Look at tire runout as you turn it, and make sure the tire bead is even with the rim all around... How's the tire pressure? (32 psi recommended)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You can also check if the tire is well mounted on the rim and fully popped into place. It may not be properly seated all around. Look at tire runout as you turn it, and make sure the tire bead is even with the rim all around...
+1 on this idea. I had changed tires on my KLX and went for a ride, the front end shook like crazy every time I took my hands off the bars and I couldn't fiqure it out until I noticed the bead on a 6 inch strip of the front tire wasn't set right. Fixed the bead and the wobble was gone.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 AM

I agree that this would cause a wobble. But I think it would be at all speeds not just in the range that he has mentioned. You may also consider the stem bearings.

Have a Great day!
: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 AM

I disagree the wobble may or may not be at all speeds, it wasn't on my KLX at all. Bearings, preload and other suspension settings could come into play, but since he said he didn't have the wobble before the new tires were installed, with nothing changing other the new tires, I can't see how suspension or bearings would be at fault. Possible but doubtful. Could also be a tire balance issue.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 AM

Yeah that's true.
could be a belt in the tire as well.

My best guesstament would be something with the tires or in the changing of them. Bent disc, balance. etc.

Have a GREAT day!
: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 AM

Huh, yeah, never considered just a bad tire, could be.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You can also check if the tire is well mounted on the rim and fully popped into place. It may not be properly seated all around...
Good call! I wasnít thinking... Thatís a more likely cause and certainly easier to check...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all your advices! I let the tires balance once again by another dealer. the wobbling is not gone, but it's now a little less noticeable. i guess it must be a problem with the tire itself. but i think i will not let it replace. as i wrote before - that strange wobbling you only can notice when riding 60-80 km/h. after reaching 80km/h it gets better and better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode