Coolant return? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coolant return?

Hello Versys's owners. Been awhile since ive been over here, between work and life and the ADVersys giving us nothing but miles of smiles.

A few months ago I noticed a strange noise that can be best described as the sound coolant returning to the overflow tank? This happens after the bike has been ridden and immediately after shutting her down. I wouldnt think much of it other than its a "new" and rather loud sound and I am thinking something must be awry.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

Anyone consturctive thoughts on what to look at (coolant level in overflow tank is right a "low" when bike is cold)?

thanks,
-Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Year and mileage? Was your coolant replaced yet? Your radiator pressure cap likely needs to be cleaned, and you may find evidence of dried coolant residue in the reservoir. Flush it all out along with the over-sprayed engine paint flakes also usually found.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Year and mileage? Was your coolant replaced yet? Your radiator pressure cap likely needs to be cleaned, and you may find evidence of dried coolant residue in the reservoir. Flush it all out along with the over-sprayed engine paint flakes also usually found.
Thanks for the reply and info.

FWIW - 2008 with about 20K on it.

Again, I appreciate the info,
-Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 PM

Drain and flush with distilled water. Refill with distilled water, and run engine for about half a minute. Drain and flush again with distilled water. Refill with long life Asian coolant, pre-mixed or coolant concentrate mixed with 50% distilled water. It takes about 1.3 quart total.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
it is called an expiation tank for a reason...... coolant does expand and contract with temperature....................

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 07:43 AM

Garage
a what tank?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
a what tank?
sorry expansion***

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Has anyone had a definite solution to this? Last weekend I rode about 4.5 hours non stop at highway speeds, stopping only for fuel. When I got to my destination I heard a loud gurgling noise coming from the coolant tank. I didn't have enough time to get my helmet, ear plugs and gloves off to see what was going on but after inspecting the system everything looks to be in good order. Any ideas? Or should I just do a coolant flush and hope that sorts it out?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 04:18 PM

I actually just fixed this on my 2008 Versys a week or so ago... At first it would only make the noise sometimes when shutting the bike off after a ride. Then it got worst and would happen fairly often, like every time I stopped and even at stoplights. It sounded like a gurgling (or pissing) noise and would sometimes cause coolant to drip out the overflow tube.

Anyway long story short, I fixed this by removing the Radiator Cap and scraping off mineral deposits which had formed on the rubber seal. I believe I put a little WD-40 or brake fluid to condition the seal after I cleaned it.

Alternatively you could just replace the Radiator cap with a new one since they're under $20. But the seal and cap on mine were both fine; the mineral deposits on the rubber were just preventing the cap from sealing and properly pressurizing the coolant.

It hasn't made the noise since; huge relief...

p.s. tips:
*- The Radiator cap is below the expansion tank, so if you remove the radiator cap before draining the coolant from the expansion tank it will overflow all over the place...
*- This should go without saying but: Let the bike cool down, or you will get seriously burned by pressurized coolant...
*- This is a good time to flush and replace your coolant.

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...

Last edited by GiantAntCowboy; 06-02-2015 at 04:27 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Has anyone had a definite solution to this? Last weekend I rode about 4.5 hours non stop at highway speeds, stopping only for fuel. When I got to my destination I heard a loud gurgling noise coming from the coolant tank. I didn't have enough time to get my helmet, ear plugs and gloves off to see what was going on but after inspecting the system everything looks to be in good order. Any ideas? Or should I just do a coolant flush and hope that sorts it out?
Yes, it's like I mentioned earlier, and like GiantAntCowboy found out. Never mind silviefox. 'He's' married to a 'man' ... You need to clean your cap. Flushing and replacing coolant would also be good as it's probably due. What year and mileage?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I now know what I'm doing this weekend.

Invader: I have an 09 with 24108 miles.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:46 PM

Oh and drain and flush your reserve tank as well... I also removed the water pump impeller to remove flaking paint, clean and grease the seals, then some grease on the water pump cover gasket (large odd-shaped o-ring).

Last edited by invader; 06-03-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode