air filter - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
air filter

Has anyone out there cleaned or changed their air filter yet? If so, how hard was it and how long did it take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstandinghorse View Post
Has anyone out there cleaned or changed their air filter yet? If so, how hard was it and how long did it take?
It won't be hard to do, just take a little time. You will have to remove the front fairings, take the "dash" (speedo surround) that attaches to the tank loose, take off the black plastic covers right under the tank, and pull the tank up and to the side or totally off. Then you remove one phillips head screw and pull it up out the air filter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

air filter

Thanks for the information on changing the air filter. Now I know where to start and what I have to do.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:43 PM

I cleaned mine- it's a weird looking thing and has something like hair on one side. I had to pinch and tear the foam free from the adhesive holding to the frame and metal screen (here and there) to wash it. I just used a bunch of dish soap and water and then used the compressor to air dry it and oiled it and reinstalled. Remember to put it back in the way it came out (with the hair facing forward).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Anyone out there put on an after market air cleaner? If so, which one and how do you like it?

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got a Piper Cross (UK) # MPX113 foam filter from Ebay, and it's a tight fit. With the airbox cover removed, I was able to pull it it while pinching the filter seal going in from outside to help slide it in place without damaging it. I also absorbed the thin oil that was on it with paper towel and upgraded it with Maxima's synthetic Fab-1 air filter oil...

http://www.pipercross.net/motorcycle...sp?m1=9&m2=186
http://www.maximausa.com/products/fi...ilterspray.asp
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...3286.m20.l1116

Last edited by invader; 07-13-2008 at 08:35 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 PM

Mine is a DNA filter. K&N style cotton filter. I like it a lot. Fit was very good. Paid about $70 from a site in Austin, Texas. The last two photos are side-by-side with the OEM filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DNA Filter.jpg (34.4 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Front side.jpg (47.9 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Backside.jpg (55.7 KB, 207 views)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

air filter

Thanks for posting a picture of that air filter. Now I know what it looks like. I didn't get mine out today. I have a full tank of gas I have to burn off and have to get some filter oil.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 08:21 PM

the book just says to use regular 30 weight oil on the stocker, which is what I did. I have a bottle of the K&N air filter oil that I was going to use, but I didn't.

Do you think I should go back and put the K&N foam air filter oil on it instead of the 30 weight?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
K&N's filter oil isn't that much better than 30W. I recommend Maxima's super tacky and highly stable synthetic filter oil for better protection.
http://www.maximausa.com/products/fi...ilterspray.asp
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the ideas of replacement air filters. What is the advantage of the aftermarket filters? Does it improve performance at all? Better mpg?

Also a quick rant: Could you imagine what would happen to a car manufacturer who put out a product where you had to take off the body and the gas tank to get at the air filter? Add to that a speedometer that runs 8% slow and has buzzing dash panels? Chrysler tried that a few decades ago and would have gone out of business if Uncle Sam hadn't bailed them out. <end rant mode>

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post
Thanks for the ideas of replacement air filters. What is the advantage of the aftermarket filters? Does it improve performance at all? Better mpg?

Also a quick rant: Could you imagine what would happen to a car manufacturer who put out a product where you had to take off the body and the gas tank to get at the air filter? Add to that a speedometer that runs 8% slow and has buzzing dash panels? Chrysler tried that a few decades ago and would have gone out of business if Uncle Sam hadn't bailed them out. <end rant mode>
This has inspired a thread for off topic discussion! You'll be duly quoted!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstandinghorse View Post
I installed a new dna filter yesterday and it would of taken only about 15 min or less, the gas line has a swival on it so you can turn it around and set the whole tank where the seat goes so it went smooth...

Why it took longer was because I wanted to take the rubber baffles out so I took the air box apart (about 10 screws) also when I pulled out the old filter there where a few dried bugs at the bottom and a few fell into the filterd side (or clean side) of the airbox it was kind of annoying but I'll try and be more carefull next time since I know about it...

anyway thats that...

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode