General Maintenance: Parts Lubrication - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
General Maintenance: Parts Lubrication

Hi all,
I have read a few posts via the search tool and picked up some good tips related to this topic. I realize that there are a lot of differing opinions on "the best way" of what I'm about to ask and all opinions are welcome. Please also realize that my V is my first motorcycle and I'm not familiar with many technical aspects of bikes. I also don't have any close friends that ride (nor can I learn from those who do). While it may seem elementary to many, I think the feedback of the more experienced individuals here could be quite beneficial to many of the newbies.

The questions I have are related to periodic lubrication of parts including the materials, methods and procedures (chain aside, as I think I have this under control).

The parts of concern are noted in the service manual for the V and are shown below.

Pivots: Brake lever, Brake pedal, Clutch lever, Rear brake joint pin, Sidestand

Points: Clutch Inner Cable, Upper and Lower Ends, Throttle Cable, Upper and Lower Ends

Cables: Clutch and Throttle.

My questions:
1) What exactly should be lubed and what type of lube should be used for the brake lever? Any tips??

2) What exactly should be lubed and what type of lube should be used for the brake pedal? Tips??

3) What exactly should be lubed and what type of lube should be used for the rear brake joint pin? Tips??

4) What exactly should be lubed and what type of lube should be used for the points mentioned above?

5) Any procedural advise on cable lubrication would also be appreciated. I just ordered one of those cable lube devices, but would like tips on its use including:

5a) do you have to take off the ends of both cables to lube?
5b) if so, how do you take off the throttle cable ends?
5c) if so, how do you take off the clutch cable ends?

I know this is a lot to ask, but if you anyone can provide some clear advice (pics would help) on these topics I would be very grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM

HI PB&J,

In a nutshell, to lube where there are joints and cause of wear/ friction.
You need to just apply a bit of lubricant. The Dupont teflon multi-use would be a good lub.(dry film lubricant)
I know your concern is ensure a safe and trouble free operation.

For the throttle cable and clutch cables, taking off the top end connection, lub with a pressure applicator, IMHO is good enough for in between bike inspections.

Try reading other bike service manuals from Haynes or Clymer for general maintenance. They are with pics. and offer good practices

Good Luck..

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM

PB & J,
No matter what, don't get lube on your brake rotors if you lube the spools, you won't have any brakes-I know! Funny now-not so much then.

My Album:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Thanks. Element.

Some advice on http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1270496015. Picture of lubing pressure applicator.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Remember not to over lube and leave excess lube everywhere, this attracts dirt which is bad , for it acts as sandpaper to create wear. lube wipe done. Also never lube into dirt and always after wet conditions or a wash.
I use Dupont on the clutch cable , light oil, cable life oil , or wd 40 on throttle cables
and a light oil on all pivot points.

AMA EAA STN

Last edited by maddjack; 04-11-2010 at 08:22 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the tips! I appreciate it.

Just crossed over 2,000 miles on the V and loving every minute.

Do you all have any opinions on the next oil change. I had the full service done at 600 miles. Next oil change 7,500 according to manual?? Seems a long span to me. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode