Bosch 3300 oil filter comfirmation - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpyvsSpy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bosch 3300 oil filter comfirmation

Maybe a stupid question but I just want to make sure. After reading all the oil filter threads it seemed one filter people liked was the Bosch 3300. After searching it online it seems everything that comes up is in a black box and says "FILTECH".

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-3300-Premium-FILTECH-Filter/dp/B000BZGKE4
I went to auto zone and pick up a couple but comes in grey box and just says "Premium." Am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0191.jpg (66.7 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by NJmongrel; 03-08-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I used the one in your photo which i also got at Auto Zone. It fit both my Versys and FJR. I was taking the re-usable filter off the Versys and putting it on the FJR..Same filter since 2010 on 2 different bikes...

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-08-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information guys. The reusable filter looks sharp. Where does one get that?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 PM

Too bad they don't work that well.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
From what I've read the reusable filters, because they use steel screen as a filter media, cannot filter out small particles like the filters with filter media can.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmongrel View Post
Thanks for the information guys. The reusable filter looks sharp. Where does one get that?

Same filter for 5 years on 2 bikes. It works like a charm... You can get it here.http://www.amazon.com/PC-Racing-PCS1-Stainless-Reusable/dp/B00BYUXCUA/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_15684181_b1_4_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FESQ76TAH55YH7ZR1N9 .As well as some of the forum sponsors.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Old 03-10-2015, 12:53 AM

I run System 1's 30 micron stainless steel mesh filter in my car.

http://www.system1filters.com/oilfilters.htm

PC Racing's FLO 35 micron mesh is ideal for heavier weight motorcycle oils.

The drop-in type is pretty basic and looks like an OE oil filter cartridge but with the stainless steel mesh as the filter media, rather than the typical filtering media. PC Racing claims that the filter has 200% more filter area than a typical filter, along with a flow rate up to 7 times higher.

The surgical grade (claimed) 304 stainless steel mesh filter media in the Flo Oil Filters is rated to filter down to 35 micron size particles. One micron is a millionth of a meter, or 1/25,400 of an inch. 30 microns is about the size of maybe your typical speck of dust or a mold spore. A grain of sand is about 100 to 2,000 microns.

The key point here is that the stainless steel media filters down to this size consistently across the entire surface area. Mass-market motorcycle filters are mostly unrated, because of the way they're constructed, with all sorts of holes and passageways through the media that are not consistently sized or shaped at all.

Now I have seen synthetic media (non-automotive) filters that filter down to a claimed 0.8 microns in size, but you also have to consider the pressures and viscosity of motorcycle oil. I doubt very much that an 0.8 micron (or anything close) filter will hold when a motorcycle full of 20W50 is started up on a 40-degree morning!

UPDATE: Many traditional filter manufacturers either make no claims for the particle filtration size in microns. Also, there are "single pass" claims (filtering oil with one pass through the media) and "multiple pass" claims (more than one pass through the media). We checked the K&N website (no claims); Wix filters (claim 25 microns) and Fram (20 microns with multiple pass). Other sources say that any manufacturer's claims may be suspect.

The FLO Oil Filters are rated on an absolute (1 pass) system. Because of the inconsistencies of paper, they are rated on a multi pass system that allows particles 3 times the rated size (i.e. 60 microns) to pass once. What that means is a 35 micron stainless filter usually filters better than a 20 micron paper filter.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

Last edited by invader; 03-10-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I run System 1's 30 micron stainless steel mesh filter in my car... PC Racing's FLO 35 micron mesh is ideal for heavier weight motorcycle oils.

The drop-in type is pretty basic and looks like an OE oil filter cartridge but with the stainless steel mesh as the filter media, rather than the typical filtering media. PC Racing claims that the filter has 200% more filter area than a typical filter, along with a flow rate up to 7 times higher.

The surgical grade (claimed) 304 stainless steel mesh filter media in the Flo Oil Filters is rated to filter down to 35 micron size particles. One micron is a millionth of a meter, or 1/25,400 of an inch. 30 microns is about the size of maybe your typical speck of dust or a mold spore. A grain of sand is about 100 to 2,000 microns.

The key point here is that the stainless steel media filters down to this size consistently across the entire surface area. Mass-market motorcycle filters are mostly unrated, because of the way they're constructed, with all sorts of holes and passageways through the media that are not consistently sized or shaped at all.

Now I have seen synthetic media (non-automotive) filters that filter down to a claimed 0.8 microns in size, but you also have to consider the pressures and viscosity of motorcycle oil. I doubt very much that an 0.8 micron (or anything close) filter will hold when a motorcycle full of 20W50 is started up on a 40-degree morning!

UPDATE: Many traditional filter manufacturers either make no claims for the particle filtration size in microns. Also, there are "single pass" claims (filtering oil with one pass through the media) and "multiple pass" claims (more than one pass through the media). We checked the K&N website (no claims); Wix filters (claim 25 microns) and Fram (20 microns with multiple pass). Other sources say that any manufacturer's claims may be suspect.

Also, there are several factors to consider, including the filter capacity, the total amount of contaminants trapped between oil changes, oil pressure differentials at varying speeds and temperatures and more. So oil filter performance seems to be based on more than just a claimed particle filtration size.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

Yea....What he said..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 AM

If you use a high quality oil and change it regularly, one can get by quite well with a reusable media filter.

The thing you miss with reusable media filters is the fact that the filter media in the disposable filters may be chemically treated - to allow the media to chemically interact with the oil it filters.
For example - some media are treated with a chemical that interacts with the dispersant in the oil, causing suspended particulates to drop out of solution in the filter and be trapped there.
It can also be treated to interact with water dispersed throughout the oil, causing tiny droplets to remain suspended and not coalesce and drop out of solution - until the oil gets up to temperature, and the moisture can be 'cooked off'.

All filters when first installed start off catching only the largest particles first - but as they're used, their ability to filter smaller and smaller particles actually goes up, as the larger pores plug off and the oil is forced through progressively smaller pores. Paper does this quite well without a rapid pressure drop, due to the large non-rigid surface area. The higher quality filters are very good.

So - like oil, filters often do more than just what's obvious...
Old 12-24-2016, 04:51 PM

Another confirmation: I just did my oil change using the Kawa brand syn 10w-40 along with a bosch 3300 ($6.99 at autozone), mileage at 5790. No problems with filter, it seated and sealed properly!
quexpress likes this.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:42 PM

Here's an interesting oil filter comparison, including Bosch.

http://hillerford.com/resource_libra...aftcompare.pdf

Wix # 51365 (NAPA Gold # FIL 1365) would be an excellent alternative... Then there's Wix # 51365XP premium synthetic oil filter (NAPA Platinum # PFL 41365), also available from Rock Auto as listed for Honda Insight .

2006 HONDA INSIGHT 995cc L3 ELECTRIC/GAS Oil Filter | RockAuto

NAPA Gold https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/FIL1365/FIL1365

NAPA Platinum https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/PFL41365/PFL41365

Even better: NAPA Powersport (Glass Enhanced Cellulose filtering media) # PFI PS1365 - $7.65

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p...1365/PFIPS1365

Last edited by invader; 12-28-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in