Help Hooking Up Zumo Motorcycle Power Cord - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Help Hooking Up Zumo Motorcycle Power Cord

Whats the best method to hooking up the Garmin Direct power cord.Is it just straight to the battery or something more detailed

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Switched or unswitched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Whats the best method to hooking up the Garmin Direct power cord.Is it just straight to the battery or something more detailed
I've got mine hooked up directly to the battery for now so that it stays on when I turn the bike off. It's quick and easy to do that. I've picked up a fuzeblock though, and once I get around to installing it, I'll probably hook the Zumo 660 up to it, still always-on. You might want to consider hooking up to the battery just to see how you like it, and if you decide to go to a 'switched' setup, it'll be an easy change to make.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

I hot wired it from the Cigar Plug. Since the original Garmin wire had a fuse, no worries. Garmin is on when bike is switch ON.
No problem. I use Zumo 500.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, When i woke up this morning the thought of splicing into the cigarette plug came to me.Glad to see someone has tried it without any problems and its a heck of alot easier too.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 AM

I started with m GPS tied to the license-plate light. Then it powered on/off with the key. Then I added an auxiliary light. The later I wanted to add other lights and realized I should have added a relay at the beginning. So, I added the Fuzeblock, FZ-1, and now use that to add my other ideas that need power. I did make one change: I trigger the Fuzeblock with the low-beam light power. So, my auxiliary power comes on when the engine starts, avoiding extra power demand when starting.

My lesson: Try to plan out your power needs before you start adding things one at a time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I thought i had it planned out by adding the cigarette power outlet. Just to plug the gps into that but with the garmin mount you have to use the power cord. The car mount can be used with the cigarette plug end. I'm done adding anything else that draws power.Only thing left is a seat and maybe crash bars. Thanks for the advice on the Fuzeblock if i keep finding things to add to the V i'll get one

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM

I took out the rear light fuse under the seat and just shoved a 1/4' of the stripped wire wire in the socket, shoved the fuse back in. Its been like that for 25k miles and 2 years.

GPS comes on when I turn ignition on, but does not power down when you turn ignition off-you have to do that manually. But that's on a TomTom, maybe different on a Zumo.

Machog

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got an appointment at the dealership to get it squared away tomorrow. They have a great service department and treat you very fair in the actual hours worked. They put my 16t front sprocket on yesterday for $40.00. I'll put huggers and luggage racks on my bike but when it come to anything electrical or mechanical trust me it cheaper to have it done.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode