Seized(Corroded) Gas Cap Lock - Help!
The tank lock(Gas cap) of my bike has seized. It basically is a powdery white color now, and I can only get my key 3/4 of the way in. It definitely will not turn in any way. I have tried the following to alleviate it, in order performed.
1) Jiggling the key inside. When I started, I could only get my key half-way in but after enough jiggling I was able to get it to 3/4.
2) Jiggling the key with WD40 on it. I have also run an oil moistened key up and down into the lock for at least 1 hour of time, each time cleaning it off.
3) Soaking in WD40 - overall, I've sprayed half a can of WD40 into the lock. I have flooded it, I have sprayed some in and let sit for several days, etc.
3a) Soaking with 3 and 1 oil
4) Cleaning out the lock with very fine wire. I got alot of white crud out, but still couldn't get the key in.
5) Hammering the key into the lock. No dice.
I am at the end of things I can possibly do. Nearest Kaw dealership is 50 miles, I have less than reserve left in the tank so riding it is not possible. I do not own a truck/trailer.
My question is this.
What are my next steps? I can't take the cap off without unlocking it... the "tounge" from the lock prevents that. I guess I can order a new tank and lock from Kawasaki, but that seems a bit overkill. What about drilling out the lock? Has anyone ever done it ? Is it possible?