Replacing Engine Cover - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacing Engine Cover

Going to replace the engine cover due to some road rash from a fall. I have the cover, gasket and sealing stuff. Im going to wait for my next oil change but wondered how difficult it is to change. Look at page 21 generator below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM

I just ordered a new leftside cover for my V for the same reason. I have changed these out on other bikes by simply laying the bike on it's side. No need to change the oil if it doesn't need it. Just changed my oil 40 miles ago and don't want to do it again right now.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JD and Spiceman. Can I get the dowel pins at my hardware store or do I have to go to my Kawi dealer? Any clue to the torque weight on the bolts? Thanks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 AM

Hi Tunaseed,

If it's torque for the alternator cover bolts, see service manual 16-28 electrical system.

9.8 Nm (1.0 kgfm, 87 inlb).

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Manual mentions: "Place a suitable container under the alternator cover to catch spilling oil when removing the cover." Oil won't spill if you lean the bike enough to the right... You might be able to leave the original undamaged gasket on the case by carefully removing the cover, and seal it back up with a touch of silicone sealant after wiping off any oil, like I did with my clutch/crankshaft sensor cover gasket. No problem with the dowel pins. Gasket may be well stuck on the engine casing, which is harder to completely clean off. Be careful so you don't gouge the aluminum casing's gasket seat.

# 14031-0078 generator cover: $65.78 from http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/p.../Kawasaki.aspx

Twinshack (UK) has a carbon fibre alternator (generator) cover protector for 53.00 ($79.29 USD): http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/113.html
There's also a carbon fibre clutch cover protector: http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/112.html
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Forgot to mention:

Do not use a screw driver in an attempt to remove the case!!

This can cause serious damage to the case and cover. A rubber mallet/hammer wil be very effective if used with common sense and some constraint.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Just think, a nice set of H&B crash bars coulda avoided all this work ...But wish you luck with the install...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode