hard wiring a gps - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hard wiring a gps

I just bought a TomTom for my 09 Versys. It came with a Ram mount and a hard wire kit. I want it powered on a keyed circuit. I would rather not go to the trouble and expense to run a relay and I would like to avoid cluttering up the wiring under the seat any more. I haven't personally seen the specs for the power needs for my particular GPS but the research I've done indicates GPS's draw less than .5 amps. What I'm thinking about doing is splicing into the hot wire for one of the parking lamps beside the headlight.
Has anyone done this, will that circuit carry 1/2 amp more without burning up, any other similar options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 AM

Why not use the 12 volt auxiliary plug under the tank on the left side? I'm running both my GPS and radar detector off of it, via a Y cable I knocked together. It's a very clean setup and doesn't require cutting into the factory harness. Just a thought...

IBA 12512
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Why not run the unit from the battery with a kill switch.Its simple and no cutting of any wires.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpeaux View Post
Why not use the 12 volt auxiliary plug under the tank on the left side? I'm running both my GPS and radar detector off of it, via a Y cable I knocked together. It's a very clean setup and doesn't require cutting into the factory harness. Just a thought...
I wasn't aware that there was aux plug wiring on any Versys before 2010.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Why not run the unit from the battery with a kill switch.Its simple and no cutting of any wires.
That would require me to not forget it. I would prefer it go off automatically when I shut the bike off. I don't usually forget to shut the bike off.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

I went ahead and bit the bullet. I just ordered a Denali fuse block.
I hate half assing things and I plan to add a set of lights in the future so with that, my heated grips, my phone charger and now the GPS, I think I've got enough crap hooked to my battery posts to justify another fuse block.
You only live once, I may as well spend all of my money before my wife gets it.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
On my ninja 1000 when I brought it the hot grips were wired directly onto the battery so just wired it in to tail light wire which runs under the seat and put a relay in which means hot grip could only come on when key is turned on, relays are cheap. same thing would work for a gps.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I wasn't aware that there was aux plug wiring on any Versys before 2010.
Sorry, I've got a 14. I assumed all years had an aux plug.

IBA 12512

Last edited by Harpeaux; 02-26-2015 at 11:20 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
On my ninja 1000 when I brought it the hot grips were wired directly onto the battery so just wired it in to tail light wire which runs under the seat and put a relay in which means hot grip could only come on when key is turned on, relays are cheap. same thing would work for a gps.
Yeah, that's another reason I got the fuse block, I've had to jump my Versys because I left me grips on. I know relay is only about $10, I could've gone that route but it is getting time to clean things up under the seat, The Denali fuse block should be a nice neat solution.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
on my cafe i ran the gps power supply off the parking light with no issue... im sure it will work just as well on the much more modern versys a inline fuse at-least isnt a bad idea

as for the leaving things on... get switches with bright LED's in them like mine little reminder light

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I just bought a TomTom for my 09 Versys. It came with a Ram mount and a hard wire kit. I want it powered on a keyed circuit. I would rather not go to the trouble and expense to run a relay and I would like to avoid cluttering up the wiring under the seat any more. I haven't personally seen the specs for the power needs for my particular GPS but the research I've done indicates GPS's draw less than .5 amps. What I'm thinking about doing is splicing into the hot wire for one of the parking lamps beside the headlight.
Has anyone done this, will that circuit carry 1/2 amp more without burning up, any other similar options?
I run BOTH my Garmin Nuvi 550s from a tie-in to a DRL wire up front. That way it comes ON w/ the ignition, and OFF when the key's turned OFF.

I use my Fuzeblock for everything ELSE.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:31 PM

Good decision on the fuse block. I will be adding a FZ-1 fuse block to my 15 650 LT to run my GPS, a Powerlet and possibly some additional lights.

2015 Versys 1000 LT

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:59 PM

If you don't want to lose any more under-seat space there are some posts here about mounting the fuzeblock under the left fairing. I did that am glad I did.

Walter
IBA# 55188

2009 Versys
Givi V35 sidecases w/ Admore lights
SW-Motech rear rack
Givi windscreen
First Gear dual heat-troller
Thermo-Bob
Denali D2D LED driving lights
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The draw for a GPS is so low as not to matter if you splice into the headlight or running light circuit. For example the headlight bulb draws ~4 amps.

One note with most GPS devices is they use a UPS port to power them. I've found most UPS ports do not function well for reliable power transfer under adverse conditions. You may need to tape the UPS plug in your GPS device to the cord as it will most likely vibrate loose in 1-2 miles of riding. I've permanently glued the cord in my Garmin GPS with silicon sealant as it constantly disconnects otherwise.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The draw for a GPS is so low as not to matter if you splice into the headlight or running light circuit. For example the headlight bulb draws ~4 amps.

One note with most GPS devices is they use a UPS port to power them. I've found most UPS ports do not function well for reliable power transfer under adverse conditions. You may need to tape the UPS plug in your GPS device to the cord as it will most likely vibrate loose in 1-2 miles of riding. I've permanently glued the cord in my Garmin GPS with silicon sealant as it constantly disconnects otherwise.
Mine is a motorcycle specific GPS. The plug runs through the Ram mount. It actually came with a power wire set up to run straight from battery terminals but I want it switched.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 11:06 PM

Garage
Use the horn circuit. its 30 amp switched.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

CRAP !!!!
I think the USPS just screwed me. I'm on my way to FL with the motorcycle in a few days. I ordered the fuse block the other evening, I live about 150 miles from Revzilla so things usually get to me in a couple of days.
According to the tracking my package left Philly and is now in Las Vegas. I hope what goes to Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas. I would really like to get this stuff installed before my trip to FL.
It's in Vegas with a delivery date of tomorrow in PA, it was sent two day priority, lets see if they can pull this off.
If nothing else my package is getting a tour of the US.
In reality I'm betting their code reader is screwed up and it's reading an 8 for the first digit and it's actually a 1.

Last edited by ray h; 02-27-2015 at 04:55 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Garage
I'd be giving Revzilla a call....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'd be giving Revzilla a call....

I did just call them to let them know of the possibility that it was lost or at least not where it should be. It seems I was worried over nothing, they apparently have a warehouse in Vegas, my order shipped from the Vegas warehouse instead of Philly but they generated the shipping label in Philly so when tracked it appears the package originated in Philly.
I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them because their service has always been impeccable and it supports an instate business, (they pay the sales tax for in state customers which doesn't account for a huge break but I think it's a huge gesture). Anyway, this is the first time I've ever received anything from Vegas from them. I guess it caught me by surprise.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:59 PM

Garage
On the GPS hook-up. I hooked mine to the battery that way if i pulled over and turned the bike off i could continue my phone call because i route my calls through the GPS.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode