anyone removed front cowling on 2010? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
anyone removed front cowling on 2010?

Hi. I'm trying to get to my instrument cluster. I've got buzzing coming from there like many of the older models. I want to try out the weatherstriping but I can't get the cowling off first.

The rivets on the 2010 seem to be more difficult to get to. So far I have only been able to remove the rivets above the turn signals. There are the two besides the instruments themselves, and maybe more. Can anyone lend a hand?

I think I'm going to want more rivets when I'm done with this project. I broke one and mawled the other one.I'm going to try at the dealership first. I hope they can come up with some.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Wait a minute, the 2010 has a buzz too? LOL... No, really, your joking. Alright, I get it, you got me.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Where are my manners danj? Welcome aboard.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I wish I were...
I have read of one other new 2010 V owner dealing with the same thing.

The buzz is fine for longer trips, but around town at lower speeds, the buzzing is undeniable.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:19 PM

I haven’t heard any buzz on my 2010 yet... but then again I can’t hear much of anything over the ROAR OF THE WIND with this worthless “windshield”.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 03-28-2010 at 10:03 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 PM

2010 Versys....ohhhh....a thorn in a bed of roses.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
2010 Versys....ohhhh....a thorn in a bed of roses.
No sweat. Thorns can be removed...

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
No sweat. Thorns can be removed...

Right on brother. I'm trying not to be too obsessive over my new baby. She can really ride. But now I want to hear her purr.

Enjoy your new ride.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Here ya go brother danjoemo and welcome...This is a great resource for schematics and parts...Be careful, alot lot of parts are going to be layered, like the windshield and side tupperware...Good luck

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...ersys/o/m18862

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I havenít heard any buzz on my 2010 yet... but then again I canít hear much of anything over the ROAR OF THE WIND with this worthless ďwindshieldĒ.

Sorry, we had some people speculating about how big an improvement the windshield would be on the 2010, I just about fell off the chair when I read your comment. Sorry to hear about that roar thing.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 AM

2010 cowling

I have been planning on pulling my guages but was waiting for some warm weather so I'd be less likely to break anything. If you figure it out let me know.

Did you read the posts about puttng a piece of a straw arround the buttons on the gauge panel? I think that might be one of the things I hear on mine. Maybe the guage faces vibrating too. Mine seems to be all in the guages not the cowling. They seem too loose on the top the way they mount also.

At least eveyone with the older ones seems to enjoy the fact that the new ones still rattle.

BTW - I think the new windsheild seems pretty lame too. Never rode an old one though.

Last edited by juliozx7r; 03-29-2010 at 08:38 AM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post

Sorry, we had some people speculating about how big an improvement the windshield would be on the 2010, I just about fell off the chair when I read your comment. Sorry to hear about that roar thing.

Gustavo
Well, I am glad that I was able to lighten your day. Laughter is good for ya!

I canít say that this came as a surprise... The 2010 windshield works about as well as it looks like it would from the pictures. Itís okay if youíre laying on the tank... but this isnít a Ninja! Sitting upright itís about as useful as the teats on a bull!

And yes, I did try adjusting it (the angle). Iím between 5í9Ē & 5í10Ē and I can move the top of the slipstream from my chin, to my nose. I didnít try the height adjustment yet but since the high position returns it to the stock angle, I really donít think itíll help.

I have the Kawasaki factory ďTallĒ shield on order but I donít think itís going to provide the coverage that I really want (height for noise or width for bugs). Weíll see... If it doesnít... Iíll tolerate it as long as my patience holds out and if Givi or somebody isnít making a suitable solution by then, Iíll make my own bracket(s) & find an existing shield that can be cut to size...

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliozx7r View Post
I have been planning on pulling my guages but was waiting for some warm weather so I'd be less likely to break anything.
My strategy is: I like to work on the bike during the winter snows (so if I break something I don’t feel so bad about not being able to ride) and during the summer, I like to break things like the lawnmower (so I don’t feel so guilty about going riding).

I am a man with a plan!

Last edited by Hardware; 03-29-2010 at 09:01 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM

I just got done doing my 2009 and it's about 95% solid. The speedo fix for the rattling buttons solved the 3k to 4k buzz. Just a little buzz from the side cowlings. I was too impatient to ride when the temps got to 50F. Once you get you body work off just use rubber weather stripping on all parts that has the potential of rubbing. Show us pictures so we can see the difference between 1st and 2nd gen.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Let me say that motorcycle forums are particularly hard to use. I end up feeling just anxious thinking about taking the bike for a ride.
I always wanted to use that icon.......

I feel better taking care of the buzzing now. (And I think that the buzzing is only from the loose gauge mounting.) Thanks all. The BikeBandit site is key. That information makes having a new bike actually possible. I guess I can accomplish what Kawasaki failed to do.

My 82 Honda didn't have any rivets...I am pretty sure. Any good tricks to getting those babies off? It appears there are two different types attaching the upper tuperware.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...ersys/o/m18862

Last edited by danjoemo; 03-29-2010 at 09:43 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Danjoemo,

I haven’t even tried to get mine off yet so I’m just guessing here but FWIW...

These rivets appear to be the 2 piece kind, an outer expanding sleeve and an inner expander core, where if you just push the inner core out... it will then allow the outer part to compress & be removed from the hole, however (as you probably already know) it doesn’t appear that you can get at the underside of the top rivets to push the cores out, so,...

It may be that the whole assembly; the upper fairing, the instrument cluster, the windshield, the headlights and the bracket that they're all attached to is meant to come off as a single unit... and then you could get at the individual retainers from the underside, however...

It does look like (with a small hand) you could get in there from under the right side to just remove the instrument cluster retaining bolts & screw without taking anything else off.

Last edited by Hardware; 03-29-2010 at 10:58 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 PM

You can push the inner part in.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 AM

YEAH, WHAT "DANJOEMO" SAID......(And I think that the buzzing is only from the loose gauge mounting.)

Regarding my 2009 "V";
Those plastic rivets are removable and reuseable if you push the center pin out from the backside of the mounting. I was totally sucessful getting rid of my "BUZZ".
I cut two "leather washers"....(Leather being cushy, resilient and durable... I used an old belt, just cut around the belt hole). I put the leather washers between the the metal frame work and the instrument pod then reassembled the 'dash'. done and done.
I will be replacing the plastic rivets with some marine grade stainless steel hardware this weekend as those plastic rivets wil surely loosen up eventually but the leather washers I made did a fine job of taking away the ""slop" and "buzz".

I also used some felt padding between all points where the side "tupperware" joins with the "black gauge surround" (minor buzz there...very minor)......

That's all folks.
keep us informed.

(ps, I'll post some photos when I add the SS hardware to the gauge cluster)

and ....WELCOME TO THE 'VERSE'...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 03-30-2010 at 05:18 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
... I think that the buzzing is only from the loose gauge mounting.

Regarding my 2009 "V";
... I put the leather washers between the the metal frame work and the instrument pod ...

The instrument cluster/pod on the í10 is rubber mounted with a pretty good amount of flex/isolation. Is it the same on the '09?

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Quote:
The instrument cluster/pod on the í10 is rubber mounted with a pretty good amount of flex/isolation. Is it the same on the '09?
Yes, the '07-09 model is mounted in the same fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buzzing, cowling, gauges, instrument

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode