Lowering kit help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowering kit help

Hello all,
Kit (motowerks) came without instructions but thanks to u-tube, installation was easy. Their website says the kit lowers the rear by 1.85 inches, it seems reasonable that I lower the front the same amount and cut that much off the side stand. But before I do something stupid I want to hear from those of you who have done this already.. Thanks in advance for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Answered my own question... gotta remember google
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Personally I'd give Motowerks a call for the directions...I don't remember exactly how far I lowered the front forks..as per instructions..but it wasn't the whole 1 5/8"...same was true with the kickstand...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
Personally I'd give Motowerks a call for the directions...I don't remember exactly how far I lowered the front forks..as per instructions..but it wasn't the whole 1 5/8"...same was true with the kickstand...

Seems to me that the geometry would dictate that you lower the front even more to keep it on the same keel as stock.

Say you drop the rear seat 2" closer to the ground, then it would stand to reason that you need to drop the front 2" as well. But you aren't dropping the front to the ground perpendicularly to it. The forks are at an angle of ~27 to perpendicular if memory serves. Thus, to get the front level with the rear, you'd have to drop the clamps down on the forks by: 2/cos27 or 2.24". Unfortunately, there is only about an inch to drop the clamps on the V1K and less than that on the V650.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

The on line instructions said 1 1/4" on the side stand and down to the bottom of the smooth area ( if memory serves, 22mm) for the fork tubes. so thats what I did. I can get this old leg over so life is good.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
The on line instructions said 1 1/4" on the side stand and down to the bottom of the smooth area ( if memory serves, 22mm) for the fork tubes. so thats what I did. I can get this old leg over so life is good.
Yeah, I face the same dilemma. One of the guys herre who got a new V1K got a link and lowered it nearly 3" without even touching the forks. He reported that it still rode fine and may have even been easier to steer (which usually isn't the case when you increase the trail like that).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Yeah, I face the same dilemma. One of the guys herre who got a new V1K got a link and lowered it nearly 3" without even touching the forks. He reported that it still rode fine and may have even been easier to steer (which usually isn't the case when you increase the trail like that).
Remember, those are dynamic (versus static) forces and change at different speeds, accelerating, and decelerating. I've got some shorter friends that want a Vs. and I'd like to help them. Unfortunately there are many ways to reduce the height and infinite riding styles, so I am reluctant to offer an opinion on something I would not gamble on myself. I am a little slow on doing anything, but when I do it, I am more confident anyway (and it's better on my budget if I am always researching
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post

No need to call. Speedy has all the instruction on his web-site...https://www.motowerk.com/uploads/Kaw...Suspension.pdf

I had lowered the front forks when i installed the lowering kit. But after about a week i put the forks back to the stock position. For me it felt better...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Garage
Instead of cutting kickstand, I got a ninja 650r one off ebay. Its the right height for the lowering link, When you order a flatfoot from speedy tell them you have the ninja stand. I did this so if I "upgrade" to a newer versys, I could remove all the parts and sell a "factory" bike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 PM

I lowered mine 2" by removing my filler seat pad (my two best pads are like another member's 2012 Vs. "saddle" now.) I can now put my front pads of my feet on the ground (from my toes only before.)

I also just received new Bates boots with 1" soles, so that should raise me up another 1/2" +.

And I just got a new top box so I won't have to kung fu kick my left hip out reaching over my Kawasaki seat bag (a scuffed one is for sale half price plus shipping

My height challenges are done and my control panel is next with new bars, anti-vib riser (every Vs. needs at least the 1" riser!!), handguards with lights, and Oxford heated grips wired into ignition will be in about 3 more workdays. I'll probably tell them to put the fenda extenda and pivot points on while they are at it. How sweet it is!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:09 AM

It's like yoga for me go climb on. And Im occasionally kicking the pannier tops. Getting more proficient at it but worried once my top case is on I will be round house kicking that.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:31 PM

When you go to adjust the forks, mark the original position on the topside of the clamps with a sharpie. Just in case you want to put it back to stock someday.. Also check the bolt tension after each of the next few rides once it's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode