Bent engine bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Bent engine bars

I've seen two Versys now with SW-Motech engine bars that have had the bars pushed back into the radiator shroud after crashes, not simple tip overs, as in the picture below. Does anyone know what gets bent to cause this? Is something on the bike bent or is it the bars themselves? It is not obvious looking at the bike.

Addendum: See the answer here.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-15-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
See below pictures

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1424569364572.jpg (51.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 1424569383443.jpg (70.3 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 03-15-2015 at 02:08 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
SW Motech bars and mounts get bent as they're pushed over... It just needs a good impact or crushing force from the other side to bring them back.

Last edited by invader; 02-22-2015 at 02:00 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
For this reason I chose the Givi bars - 3 mounting points not to mention they look like they match the bikes contours better (IMHO).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, I do like my genuine Hepco & Becker crash bars.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yeah, I do like my genuine Hepco & Becker crash bars.

Ditto, When i got hit by a car you can see the scuff on the crash bar that i painted over. That was the point of contact so the H/B's did their job and i was able to ride the bike home.

IMG_1496 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The front attachment tab of the right engine bar seems to have been bent slightly forward causing it to push back against the radiator. See the photo in first post of this thread to see how it contacts the radiator after being bent.

I heated the front tab, where it attaches to the engine bar, red hot with a propane torch and then hammered it back into place about ~2cm, so it aligned with the tab on the other bar when the other holes were aligned. Quenched it in cold water to harden the steel. To fix the scrapes I filed them down and then sanded the bars with 40,80 and 400 grit paper then painted with two coats of rustoleum type paint. The repaired bar seems to fit bike like new and is again symmetrical with the left hand side bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
SW Motech bars and mounts get bent as they're pushed over... They're only mounted at the rear, with nothing to secure them at the front to keep them from bending to the left or right.
The SW-Motech bars have two rear (upper and lower) attachment points and one front attachment point (heavy steel tab). See the second picture below. It was this tab that bent slightly, where it attached to the bars, causing the engine bar on the right side to push back against the radiator. There was no structural damage to the bike and the bars likely saved it from much more severe damage. See first post in this thread for photos of damage.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1424728028694.jpg (79.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 1424728042531.jpg (85.1 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 03-15-2015 at 06:14 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 01:22 AM

Garage
Mine never bent and I have dropped mine 3 times. I'm happy with them. Between the SW Motech crash bars and the BarkBusters they have saved me hundreds of dollars

Last edited by MaverickAus; 03-15-2015 at 02:25 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I notice almost all Versys with SW Motech engine bars have this issue if they go over. The bars get pushed back to the rad. Does anyone know what gets bent to cause this?
That's really bizarre. I've had SWMs on my bike since 2009, and it's been on its side several times. Enough, in fact, to cause a crack in the vertical tube, adjacent to the front mount - a result of a manufacturing defect - weld undercutting. But NEVER, have they EVER, bent, in any way.

It seems like the upper rear mount - the frame tube mount - must have moved fore or aft, in order for the front mount to bend like that. Was the u-bolt tight, or was it re-positioned after the crash?

Also, would you mind sharing the nature of the crash that caused them to deform like that? It looks like you had some forward speed, based on the scrapes.

Last edited by ednukey; 03-15-2015 at 02:28 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednukey View Post
That's really bizarre. I've had SWMs on my bike since 2009, and it's been on its side several times. Enough, in fact, to cause a crack in the vertical tube, adjacent to the front mount - a result of a manufacturing defect - weld undercutting. But NEVER, have they EVER, bent, in any way.

It seems like the upper rear mount - the frame tube mount - must have moved fore or aft, in order for the front mount to bend like that. Was the u-bolt tight, or was it re-positioned after the crash?

Also, would you mind sharing the nature of the crash that caused them to deform like that? It looks like you had some forward speed, based on the scrapes.
I purchased this particular Versys late last fall after totaling my previous Versys in an accident. The totalled bike went down on it's side at speed and flipped several times in the air. The totalled Versys had this issue after the accident. It hit hard enough on it's side for the back of the passenger peg to puncture the swing arm. Despite this the SW-Motech bars protected the engine and frame. It was the high mileage that caused the appraiser to feel the bike was not cost effective to repair, not the damage alone. The bars did a hell of a job protecting the bike and had it had fewer miles and been newer would have been worth repairing in it's post crash condition.

The bars and bike in the photos are of the replacement 2010 Versys I purchased late last fall. It came as purchased with some damage of it's own hence the bent bars. It had the same issue as seen in photos. I have no idea how hard the bike in the pictures hit as it was the previous owner that did this damage. I suspect the bike did not slide far though as the scrapes to the bars did not go deep and the other damage to the bike was purely cosmetic except for the rear rim. The bike came with a rashed engine guard and fairing panel on the right side as well as a dented rear rim and cracked windshield. The fairing and bars turned out to be easily repairable. To repair the plastic fairing panel I used Plastex (to fix cracks and missing plastic pieces), glazing putty (to fill remaining minor surface imperfections) and color matched PPG automotive paint in a spray can (any auto paint store can put color matched paint into a custom made up spray can for ~$30) and finally clear coat in a spray can to repair the fairing to as new appearance.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-15-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode