How do you remove front fairing? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
How do you remove front fairing?

I have a new to me generation 2 bike. How do I do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If you are talking a 2010-2014 models, it's pretty easy with the appropriate tools and technique.
-First take off the seat by using the key in the left side key slot
-Then using a Phillips #2 bit take off the panels on each side directly below
the seat area, this panel is slid into the tank panels near the front. You will
need to pop the rubber fittings out and then slide it back somewhat to remove it
-Then using your proper size allen wrench remove the mounting bolts on the
top and side of the fuel tank panels
- Then pop the rubber fittings as well
- Once the fittings are popped you need to gently slide forward the entire
fairing and remove the tab from the bottom of the headlight housing. (This is a bit difficult the first time, until you see how it goes in)
THAT should be it.
Did I forget anything?
The procedure might be in the owners manual as well.

It's not that difficult at all after you figure out where all the tabs and rubber pop fasteners are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 02-22-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oem owners manual's are not as good as Clymer's. They not only tell stuff like fairings, but they also have an appendix in the back of the book. You almost have to go page by page in an oem manual just to find out they don't mention it. They should have a Clymer's on an earlier model Vs. hopefully, but I haven't seen it yet. Thank goodness for the guru's on this site who appreciate fine machinery! My dental surgeon has a brand new black Porche Targa, and he is jealous of my bike :-) It is pretty snappy though.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I managed to get the fairings off thanks to the advice from this forum. Next issue is how to take dash apart; I want to install 12v socket in dash. I've removed the plastic pop rivets but nothing is budging.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I managed to get the fairings off thanks to the advice from this forum. Next issue is how to take dash apart; I want to install 12v socket in dash. I've removed the plastic pop rivets but nothing is budging.
Yeah that one stumped me for a bit as well. The housing around the cluster actually stays put and the part that the windscreen attaches to comes off. The not so fun part is having to remove the windscreen and then the CRAPTASTIC well nuts (little rubber thingys that the windscreen fasteners screw into. They are a royal PITA to say the least. Once all those are out you should be able to remove the fwd part of the housing. A little hint on removing the well nuts: I found it easier AFTER I ripped a couple of them trying to pull them up and out, is to push them in instead. They do fall in and sometimes drop into a black hole never to be seen again.........Head to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some replacement to also fill all the holes with them so when you want to change the position of your wind screen you will be ready. WHY Kawasaki didn't do that from the factory is beyond me! Expecially when they tout the windscreen is adjustable.... BTW pg 48 of the owners manual is a decent reference. Good luck

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just noticed someone has added the 2010-2014 service manual to the site for download. All this info is available in it. Should have searched for the manual first. Doh!

Download 2010-2014 Versys Service Manual Here

Last edited by twowheels; 02-23-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Look up a parts supplier online check out the "cowling" schematics...that's how I got mine apart..

http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/o...cd8bf3/cowling

the above is for a 2012..you can look up your year easily enough...good luck it's not that tough...

I ran a hot corner into a berm..had to replace the cowling/headlight assembly frame as well as the meter cover..right fork tube..lower triple tree..both side fairings..front wheel..and some other stuff...the schematics are better than the manuals for disassembly..assembly...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in