Soupy's Lower / Adjustable Side Stand for 2015 V1K - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Soupy's Lower / Adjustable Side Stand for 2015 V1K

In the process of lowering the 2015 V1K. I'm using Soupy's products http://soupysperformance.com

I have been lucky enough to have Soupy develop the prototype sidestand for me. The courier delivered the package today, so off to the Garage I went.

The stand is made from aluminum and looks well made and finished. the leg is adjustable over approx 70mm or 3 inches

The foot of the stands contact patch is small and i fear could be an issue on soft ground.
Soupy also makes a flat foot attachment and is a worthy option in my opinion.

Fitment was relatively simple, I did have an issue with operation of the stand from the down to the up position. This was due to the frame mounting point not being symetrical

I fixed this with my trusty angle grinder but I think Soupy will give a bit more clearance on future production models to compensate.

Also thought that I would need to paint the stand black but after looking at it for a while I'm changing my mind,,, I think ??

Lowering link looks good as well.. I need a bit of time to get this fitted. It's the same setup as the Z 1000 and the Ninja 1000 (sx) and they have been around a while so I'm expecting no issues and similar result but more on that later.

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IF1960 View Post
Good stuff.

The spacers on the lowering link are much bigger than they appear in Soupy's ads. I was worried that they weren't actually going to fit the new model after looking at the size of the stock dog bone, but I feel much better about it after seeing your picture. You should offer it to him.

The stand is much more tolerable with the flat foot, but I sure don't want to be grinding on my new frame to make it fit. I'm still rooting for Speedy's flat foot option, though at least one of my local dealers said his techs have the capability to cut the OEM stand and re-weld its foot.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

The spacers and ball type joints look pretty sturdy Saddlebag. I don't expect I'll have much issue. looks like it'll be easy to keep a bit of lubrication on there as well

Ian

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
[/URL]
Might want to have a look at that ball end before you stick it on the bike. It looks from the picture like some chrome fell off.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Might want to have a look at that ball end before you stick it on the bike. It looks from the picture like some chrome fell off.
HA HA..That's a reflection...

How low can that link lower the bike? How about a picture of it mounted?

Last edited by chadams66; 02-16-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
HA HA..That's a reflection...
Ya think? It looks a lot like cast metal missing its finish to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
How low can that link lower the bike?
The point is kinda moot unless you want to affect the handling. The forks can only be dropped about an inch in the triple clamps, so dropping the rear end much more than that will likely make it harder to get the bike to change directions. The website says the device itself is capable of 4 inches.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Looks interesting (to anyone with less than a 34" pants inseam who rides a Vs. :-)

I am wearing out my sidestand without a centerstand. I found out all the short mechanics are just stepping on the left footpeg and bouncing over my bike :-(

Ultimately, I need to look at lowering my bike starting with the cheapest way that doesn't effect ground clearance or suspension angles. I like his adjustable stand which would eliminate grief at every iteration: and that's a big headache too! I may have about up to 3" with my seat pads to adjust (and hopefully that will be it.) It rides like a dream with my triple pads though. If I just did not have to start and stop, it would be perfect!

Oh yeah, on this site, do i just look at Ninja 650R? I didn't see a 650 Vs. of any year.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Ultimately, I need to look at lowering my bike starting with the cheapest way that doesn't effect ground clearance or suspension angles.
I agree with the angles, but lowering ground clearance isn't really an issue on a street bike tall enough to allow Shriners to pass under it during parades. I don't mind giving an inch of clearance. Beats scooping out the seat and getting an inch less of leg room.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:26 AM

Dont forget to loctite the bolts holding the flat foot attachment

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Being the impatient bloke that I am when I have new stuff to play with,,, I decided to fit the Lowering link.

This is the tie rod you will replace

With this

The 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 is stock with a center stand. I put it up on the stand and supported the rear wheel with a piece of wood.

Removed the rear fender / hugger and removed brake side footpeg bracket leaving all brakelines and peg etc in tact. This allowed access to both sides of the top and bottom tie rod bolts.

The adjustable lowering link fit perfectly. The link in its shortest configuration will actually raise the height approx 3/4 inch. I adjusted the link after fitting. Open ended spanner and double jointed arms will help. A bit of a fiddle but do-able.

I dropped approx 2 3/4 inch, I have a 31 1/2 inseam measured from Crotch to Ground. I now flat foot.

Nothing is fouling and operation on my brief test ride revealed no discernible issues.

Handling wise the front/steering feels a little lighter, stability at legal speeds here 100kph or 60mph remains very good. I am yet to drop the forks and give it a shakedown on some of my favorite twisty roads but my initial impressions are very good.

Center stand is now useless of course unless you do as I do, roll the bike up on a piece of wood approx 2 x 1 1/2 and give it a good heave

Ian
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Handling wise the front/steering feels a little lighter, stability at legal speeds here 100kph or 60mph remains very good. I am yet to drop the forks and give it a shakedown on some of my favorite twisty roads but my initial impressions are very good.
Kewl, it's on my to do list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode