ABS / Disconnecting/ ON/OFF switch / Discussion - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
For argument sakes

If there is no rotation at the counter shaft (lock rear wheel for instance), how will this be interpreted for the abs sensor and the front wheel ?
And what will happend then ? Will it release pressure at the front brake to match the 0 rotation detected at the rear wheel/coutershaft ?

LOP
FYI 0 rotation = stalled motor, you got bigger problems, if clutch pulled in and front wheel is rotating = firing ABS with 0 RPM of counter shaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Gravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Glen - you just GOTTA get out there, OFF the pavement...!

Second day on bike= 20 KM of gravel--my GPS said turn right, turn left, go straight, go steep downhill across bridge , look out for piles of loose gravel, hell the tires need breaking in not braking in, this ABS ???? I need to see this for myself, right now, I see no need to do anything with the ABS, I did read that it doesn't function below 5 KM/HR, Great, I can walk faster than that
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

ABS is staying Untouched for now

Well I did some more gravel today, this time my choice not the GPS, i tried locking up the rear brake, used some engine braking and purposely jamming the rear brake, I know I need to adjust the suspension as it is a little stiff, a little blip of the ABS, worked flawlessly, first the only time I would be concerned about the ABS is if I was descending on a mountain trail with shear cliff drop offs, again the rear brake is a last ditch effort as all the weight is on the front suspension. For now I ain't touching the ABS.
If you are descending that steep a incline and going that fast the combined engine braking and rear braking/ light front braking isn't sufficient to slow you down and you are blaming the ABS for your problems, from what I have experienced so far, I would say you are riding the wrong bike if you need to disable the ABS.

post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
FYI 0 rotation = stalled motor, you got bigger problems, if clutch pulled in and front wheel is rotating = firing ABS with 0 RPM of counter shaft.
Maybe I'm missing something

Countershaft is where the front sprocket is tied up ... Right ?

If so, how does the ABS makes the difference between a lock rear wheel and a stalled engine ?

If countershaft is not what I think it is, than there is no relation between abs and engine speed !

LOP
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something

Countershaft is where the front sprocket is tied up ... Right ?

If so, how does the ABS makes the difference between a lock rear wheel and a stalled engine ?

If countershaft is not what I think it is, than there is no relation between abs and engine speed !

LOP
It doesn't matter how or if. If you stall the engine, the ABS won't disengage the clutch for you... The ECU may however notice that the engine has stopped. You just need to restart it and learn to ride properly.
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...Countershaft is where the front sprocket is tied up ... Right?...LOP
Yes, it is.

Altho' MINE is attached w/ a BIG nut and locking washer....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It doesn't matter how or if. If you stall the engine, the ABS won't disengage the clutch for you... The ECU may however notice that the engine has stopped. You just need to restart it and learn to ride properly.
My point was something in the same neighborhood

If you pull the clutch, AND their's 0 rotation at countershaft, it means that rear wheel is locked, no regard to the engine running or not

So I was responding to Onewizard argument that 0 rotation at countershaft meant stalled engine, not a fact

ABS sensor are at the wheel, not at countershaft, not somewhere else
They feed info into the brain of the abs system, and said brain activate more or less the front and rear brake to bring back equilibrium between the front and rear wheel rotation

Further more, it needs to be establish that engine not running means disable abs (of course when ignition is on), which is not a given (well I don't know ...)

And last, I don't have ABS and do know how to ride without it AND not scare of locking the front wheel, even in the rain (to a certain extend) if push comes to shove

LOP
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM

VERIFIED and it works: spin the rear wheel in the sand or grass while front is locked. ABS turns off until the ignition is off-on.
bigaussie, Fly-Sig and IAMRA like this.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by koen View Post
When you have standard switch (cut off power on ABS circuit) the error is throw, which you can reset only using jumper. So if you turn off ABS by switch you will not be able to turn it on using switch only.

BMW is not match with my expectations. I would choose KTM 1190 or Multistrada 1200 instead.
So why couldn't you use a single pull double throw switch and wire it so that the jumper is already engaged with the bike is off and then when you turn the key the jumper circuit is enabled by the ignition switch. Seems that it could be enabled on a relay.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Reason to Disable ABS

As a matter of curiosity , I have going on 7000 KM on my 2015, most of my braking involves engine braking and front rear combinations. I have had the rear ABS fire several times and the front once,90% of those occurrences were cases of accelerating and not being able to use the front brake or engine brake due to unusual stupid drivers-----yes suppose to be in control at all times, and I will explain one, which still leaves me wondering what was going through the drivers brain****if anything.
I am in a downtown city street at rush hour, in a left hand turn lane with one car in front of me, people at the cross walk waiting for the light to change, inches from the roadway. Building on the left has a large parking lot accessible from the street I am on and also from the street I am turning onto. So we get the advanced green, I am keeping a eye on the pedestrians as they are inches from stepping onto the road, I am 10 feet from the woman in front of me, when she slams on her brakes, I barely had gotten my foot up onto the foot peg, one hand on the throttle and one on the clutch, she couldn't turn left into the parking lot because of through traffic waiting for the stop light. So my only choice was to pull in the clutch, hit the rear brake and maneuver around her and the pedestrians, ABS fired luckily or I might have skidded into the pedestrians, I did manage to lay on the horn.

So why she didn't turn into the parking lot from the left hand turn lane and instead go through the light and try from a busy main street is beyond me, traffic on the main street was at least 20 cars waiting for the light, so someone would have needed to let this stupid person turn once the light for through traffic changed to green, as there wasn't enough space between the cars to get a pedestrian through.

So my question that has never been answered is why do you need to disable the ABS?
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
They say on dirt you're better off without ABS. I'm not sure I buy into that, and I was one of the people back in the late 70's and early 80's who decried ABS on cars!

I've found that at very low speeds the rear ABS doesn't fire. If I'm going very slowly and hit the rear brake on a dirt surface it will lock up. I'm talking speeds at say 2mph.

On dirt roads the front ABS works just the way I want it to. It will skid a tiny bit then regain traction. I'm not trying to skid the front wheel because that would lead to a fall on dirt. Straight ahead stopping or gentle braking in a turn is all I want out of the front brake on dirt, and the ABS seems to be just fine.

The rear ABS does inhibit the ability to do long rear wheel skids or those cool skidding turns and stops. I used to do those by the thousands on my bicycle as a kid in our gravel driveway. Honestly, on a 500 pound motorcycle with a seat as high as the Versys there doesn't seem to me to be much utility for such maneuvers.

I find the rear ABS does a good job in the dirt when descending slowly down something steep or when making a max effort stop. So far I've not found any situation where I want the ABS off. I'm not very experienced on the dirt, so my opinion isn't worth all that much, so you're getting what you paid for.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:14 AM

I have been riding dirt road and some trails lately.
Basically never been in a slope so steep that this would have helped.
And it's not like I didn't test the braking limit in the steeper slopes.
I did check how much abs breaking gives me.

However, this entire notion of blocking the rear to help slow down starts to make sense when you have knobbies first, to pile up dirt in front of tire. A slick tire does not benefit from locking.

It makes sense further in low traction surface, like loose gravel, mud and sand.
But when you think about it, I have not seen much slopes with mud; mud holes are always flat.
Sand is moved around by rain on slopes. So, that's the one case to worry about.

So, turning ABS off is mostly for fun, or for knobbies.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koen View Post
Hi,

does anyone have ABS ON/OFF switch?
FWIW - I rode quite a few 'gnarly' dirt trails near an area ski hill this morning on my '15 650LT and ABS. LOTS of loose gravel, so I made a point of using LOTS of rear brakes on the down-hills...!

The wheel 'locked-up' just FINE, and slid when I wanted it to, FULLY in control.

-
bigaussie likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
VERIFIED and it works: spin the rear wheel in the sand or grass while front is locked. ABS turns off until the ignition is off-on.
I need to add: with street tires in dirt, you don't get much benefit from disabling abs, at least not as much as with knobbies. But spinning the rear with knobbies has 2 problems:

1/ you could dig a hole that you have to get yourself out of (don't ask...)

2/ it wears the tire; I probably ate up 300km worth of rubber in 10 seconds due to poor location.

So, REALLY try to find slippery surface like grass...
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Rear brake ABS disconnect?

Hi-

Just wondering if anyone has figured out a way of turning off ABS on the rear brake only? I'd love to be able to disconnect just the rear for riding on dirt/gravel. I'm surprised that there's no aftermarket mod to do this yet.

And on a related note, has anyone tried the technique of just pulling the fuse for the ABS out temporarily? Obviously, that will remove the front ABS also. Not real desirable in my book, but does it have any other side-effects (like upsetting the onboard computers?)

Thanks

-dm

-dm
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:08 AM

Legitimate request.

non-matching but valuable reminders:
-you can disable all abs by stationary spinning the rear wheel in second gear; reset by cycling ignition off/on.
-if abs off needed, it's usually contemplating a steep downhill and I simply turn off ignition.

Most anomalies with abs will be recorded with a code.
See https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...sys-650-a.html
This guy might be the only one with rear abs off that I know of, and it was because the pump failed.

Watching this thread with interest.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Very simple fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stanley-all-trades-cutting-pliers-84-105-64_1000.jpg (17.3 KB, 3 views)

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I have ridden some dirt w/ my '15 V650LT (ABS), and found that I could 'lock' the rear wheel when I wanted to on dirt/gravel.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

ABS Disabled Below 3.1 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have ridden some dirt w/ my '15 V650LT (ABS), and found that I could 'lock' the rear wheel when I wanted to on dirt/gravel.
Read the owners manual, ABS disabled below 3.1 MPH

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...90-post49.html
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Duplicate Post

So I moved the existing thread as this has been discussed to death, someone find the connectors real cheap and then we got something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode