Charging capacity reached..and surpassed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Charging capacity reached..and surpassed

I'm pretty sure I over taxed my '09 650's charging system yesterday. I would like to know what the potential consequences are for doing this for an extended period of time.

I have Kimpex grip heaters with a ceramic resistor installed. http://www.amazon.com/Kimpex-Handlebar-Grip-Heater-12-170/dp/B002OP5YDM/ref=pd_sim_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=147TZK903R9P2TDJ79F7#productDetails I also have installed a Powerlet connector for accessories and heated gear. Also installed is a Powerlet cellphone charger. Yesterday I used a Gerbings heated jacket liner with a heat controller. With the Heat-troller set to very low, pulsing briefly every few seconds the heated grips, stock high-beam, cellcharger all worked beautifully together with normal voltage readings. During my final leg home with the temps dropping I decided to try the Gerbings heat-troller on MAXIMUM. Also I hit some stop and go traffic so the fan started cycling. I noticed my voltages drop to 12.1 volts from the normal 14.1 to 14.3 after about 15 minutes. Switching to low beam and turning the grip heaters off immediately resolved the voltage back to the normal range. I suspect that I discharged my battery to some extent during the 15 minutes. I guess that means no heated gloves for me..on the Versys

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 02-15-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM

The only thing that will happen is that you'll drain the battery, that's it. There won't be any long term side effects.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

That's good to know. I knew of a guy who put aircraft landing lights on his harley..it lit his path for a bit then the whole shooting match quit...all electrics engine everything. Seems his stator windings melted into a chunk useless alloy.

I'm no diplomat

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you still have a stock regulator/rectifier, your charging system is always running at maximum capacity anyway and shunting any unused power to ground, so it will never feel the difference.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Yes..I still have the stock regulator/rectifier. I've been keeping up with the threads on that issue and the more I read the more confused I get so I'm doing the-head-in-the-sand fix on that

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
I suspect that I discharged my battery to some extent during the 15 minutes. I guess that means no heated gloves for me..on the Versys
Turn off your high beams and all might be well.

Going to a better heated grip setup might be good as well. For example using a PWM controller instead of the ballast resistor. Or just buying a set of Oxfords.

FWIW I run Gerbings jacket liner, Warm n Safe heated gloves, Oxford heated grips, and LED driving lights together on my Versys with no problems at all. When it's cold I usually have the gloves on high. Less likely to have the liner on high, and even less likely to have the grips there. Less likely than that to be using the high beams with all that other stuff on high--I don't find myself riding in really cold weather at night.

I did some testing of the voltage at various RPMs with various settings. If I were to have high beams and driving lights on high as well as jacket liner, gloves & grips on high, yeah it takes a some RPMs to charge. Don't remember but maybe it was 6k? Doesn't matter since I don't run it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode