Service Question - do I need to replace the fuel hose? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Service Question - do I need to replace the fuel hose?

Hi Everybody

It has been a year since I was last on the forum, mainly due to selling a house, a change of cities, renovations, etc. I have been riding a bit, but not as much as I would like.

I have a service question – I am now at 30,000 miles / 48,000 kms. The service manual for my 2007 Versys on page PERIODIC MAINTENANCE 2-5 says the Fuel hose should be changed / replaced every 4 years / 48,000 kms. The bike is now 8 years old.

Both the small shop I am planning to use http://www.adrenalinmotorcycle.com/ and the local Kawasaki dealer SG Power in Victoria, BC were surprised with that recommendation.

Would you bother? The parts department of SG Power don’t think they have ever supplied one.

Cheers
Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi Everybody

It has been a year since I was last on the forum, mainly due to selling a house, a change of cities, renovations, etc. I have been riding a bit, but not as much as I would like.

I have a service question – I am now at 30,000 miles / 48,000 kms. The service manual for my 2007 Versys on page PERIODIC MAINTENANCE 2-5 says the Fuel hose should be changed / replaced every 4 years / 48,000 kms. The bike is now 8 years old.

Both the small shop I am planning to use http://www.adrenalinmotorcycle.com/ and the local Kawasaki dealer SG Power in Victoria, BC were surprised with that recommendation.

Would you bother? The parts department of SG Power don’t think they have ever supplied one.

Cheers
Alan
New hose is dirt cheap at any auto parts store. Just a few cents per foot. New hose will more pliable and seal beater. Personally I would do it if I had the tank off but would not bother to do it until I had some other reason to take the tank off.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2017 at 11:26 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:25 PM

No.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
New hose is dirt cheap at any auto parts store. Just a few cents per foot. New hose will more pliable and seal beater. Personally I would do it if I had the tank off but would not bother to do it until I had some other reason to take the tank off.
So, admittedly, I haven't needed to take my versys tank off but aren't we talking about hoses with the special fittings on the ends that clamp the hose to the tank? All my other fuel injected bikes had those. I've got to look at the fiche... Are we talking about part 51044-0034?

Last edited by Marylander; 02-12-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The service includes valves and spark plugs so the tank will be off, so I may as well get it done.

Does anybody know the parts numbers? The catalogue is at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2947

The high pressure line is 51044-0034 but I can't see the normal fuel lines.

Thanks

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Marylander

That is the part I could find

Anybody know of any others?

Alan

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Some people do preventative maintenance. Some wait until things break. I guess it depends on where you are when you break down.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM

I've had several fuel injected Kawasakis with similar set-ups. The last one was a ZX-10R that went more than 10 years. I suspect the little hose is over $100, but it is your money. Be careful with the connections.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is only one fuel tube. # 51044-0034

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/...66a2/fuel-pump

Mine is also 8 years old, and I have no intentions of replacing it... If you do, be very careful to avoid breaking off the plastic fitting at the fuel pump. I never tried removing the fuel hose from the fuel rail.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Some people do preventative maintenance. Some wait until things break. I guess it depends on where you are when you break down.
Since I will have the tank off I may as well do it all at once. I will warn the mechanic to be careful.

I was pleasantly surprised to be quoted $CAD87 - the same Invader's link in USD (and at the moment $US1 = $CAD1.25)

I just hope the stealership honour their quote.

At the same time I am changing to Goodridge stainless steel brake lines for just under $CAD180 (USD145) + tax for front & rear (plus install). Is this a good price?

Thanks everybody.

Alan

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:28 PM

How about other things that are overdue, like your brake fluids, coolant, spark plugs, original tires, valve clearance inspection, throttle bodies synch, clean and re-oil air filter...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:52 PM

hose replacement

I too saw that replacement was recommended and since I worked in a kawi shop at the time, i ordered one. at the time they were constantly on back-order and took a couple of weeks to show... lol it's still in my tool box waiting for a failure to make changing it necessary.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
How about other things that are overdue, like your brake fluids, coolant, spark plugs, original tires, valve clearance inspection, throttle bodies synch, clean and re-oil air filter...
Hi Invader

Brake fluids will be replaced as part of the change of the brake lines to Goodridge stainless ones.

Coolant, spark plugs, clean and re-oil air filter and valve clearance were discussed to be part of the valve service (but I will include them all in a written note).

Miss Jaffa will be having a normal oil change (full synthetic), chain clean (incl. lube and adjust), etc. at the same time.

I am on my 4th set of tires (Pirelli Angel for the last 3 sets)

The thing we haven't discussed yet is throttle bodies synch. What does that involve (and approx. how many hours)?

The only one item we discussed and decided not to do was replace "Rubber parts of master cylinder and calliper" . Do you think they need doing every 4 years? (I am sure mine have never been done).

Looking at the service manual for on pages PERIODIC MAINTENANCE 2-3 to 2-5 other things I am fairly sure haven't been done over time are:
  • Engine vacuum synchronization
  • Steering stem bearings - lubricate
  • Air cleaner element - replace
I will get them all done (or do I just need to clean and oil the air cleaner element?)

Cheers

Alan

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2017 at 11:35 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 01:25 AM

Oh yeah of course, new brake fluid with the new brake lines... TB vacuum synch is quick and easy once you're in there for other maintenance. I did it with airbox removed and rear of fuel tank propped up for easy access to TB vacuum bypass adjustment screw and vacuum access fittings. Leave the TB's screw that is closed, closed, and adjust the other TB's screw to balance both TB's vacuum level at 1,300 rpm idle.

I wouldn't replace master and caliper rubber seal parts. Just replace brake fluid every 2 years.

Air filter is good for a few washes and re-oiling. Replace when it starts to lose its structural integrity.

Steering stem bearings are well factory greased, but it's still good to clean it out, re-grease, and adjust tension... Rear suspension swingarm pivot bearings should however be inspected and properly greased ASAP.

I checked my valve clearances at 4,600 kms and found one exhaust valve already at just below minimum spec, so I set them all at middle of range; inlets at 0.18mm and exhausts at 0.26mm... It's good to check and set them before long, as exhaust valves are typically found to be on the tight side, mostly with early Versys models.

Last edited by invader; 02-13-2015 at 01:40 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Fuel and vacuum hose is generic. Just make sure inside diameter matches. It's less than $1 per foot if you purchase from auto parts store. The fittings slide on and off and are reused. See service manual. You can cut the hose to length with a knife.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-13-2015 at 04:40 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
HI All

Thanks for your advice and input.

Had the service done today at http://www.adrenalinmotorcycle.com/, a really cool co-op.

I got to 'help' (mainly passing tools and cleaning bits like the air box). Scott the mechanic has built a KLR with a Versys engine so knows all about out toys.

I was only charged 4 mechanic hours for:

Value service
install s/s brake lines
Install new fuel line
flush coolant
oil service
chain service
clean the air filter
install new spark plugs.

All parts are 10% off for co-op members.

The air filter was disgusting but the valves were within spec.

He couldn't balance the throttle bodies as their gauge was broken - someone had dropped it

It sounds so much better now that it can breathe properly.

Cheers

Alan

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome back and for sure that air filter was discusting.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Welcome back and for sure that air filter was discusting.
From the looks of that "filter" - a WHOLE LOT of horsepower was somewhere else, rather than IN your engine...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
From the looks of that "filter" - a WHOLE LOT of horsepower was somewhere else, rather than IN your engine...!

Since the service it runs smoother and quicker.

But I can't believe the difference the stainless steel brake cables make. I have confidence in my braking for the first time, and I am not locking up the rear wheel in an emergency stop any more. Why didn't I do this 5 years ago?

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 AM

Old fuel lines can collapse and suck together preventing fuel from flowing through the lines. That is not good for FI engines. Thanks for the reminder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode