Plugged Tire - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
vp7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Plugged Tire

As mentioned somewhere else on the forums, yesterday I found a flat rear tire on my bike when I wanted to go for a ride. The puncture was in the thread of my almost brand new Pirelli Syncs. I used the plug kit and the mini compressor to make repairs and then took it on a short trip to see if it holds up, it did but now I would like to know if it's OK to keep using the tire. Only 400 km on it and I really don't want to replace it unless I have to.

I will be riding mostly short trips this year and it will be a short season as well.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I, personally, would use it till it's worn out. However, I would check pressures more often than normal, and if it starts to lose some, consider removing the tire and getting a "hot-patch" put on the inside.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Rub

A subject that brings up about as controversy as a helmet thread.

Rub

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
A subject that brings up about as controversy as a helmet thread.

Rub
Good point! I have a hole in my helmet, will a plug hold or should I get a new one?!

My Album:
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Rub

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:50 PM
cls

Run the plug. I've only had one fail ever, and that was a slow leak. Use your head. But, if it'll plug nicely, check it frequently and run it. Free feedback, and worth every penny.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:33 PM

If you decide to replace it, send me your plugged tire.

I'll run it and let you know how it did...

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 PM

One thing I do to make the Plug more reliable is use some of the Rubber Cement on it. That way it will vulcanize to the tire. I have used Patched and plugged tires on the track at ridiculous speeds and never had a problem.

You can also go to your local Auto parts store and get a Patch/Plug it is shaped like a Mushroom and is basically a Patch with a plug coming out of the center of it. They work really well. But you will have to remove the tire from the rim to install one.

Todd
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
vp7

The kit I used did have the rubber cement and I did use it, I took it on a 150 km ride and checked the pressure during the ride. It seems to be holding for now, I will keep on riding it, especially since it was a very slow leak and inside the thread just off centre.

I don't know how much I will ride it right now anyways.

Thanks for the input.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Good point! I have a hole in my helmet, will a plug hold or should I get a new one?!
Gee - I don't know!
I've got TWO really BIG ones in each of my helmets... one I plug with my neck, and the other I cover with a piece of transparent plastic....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Now that you have pluged the hole the next thing to do is to ride without worring about the hole....why?,,,because you have pluged the hole.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Plug Type

My 2 cents: It depends on the type of plug...

Depending on the size and location of the hole, etc, Iíve had mixed results with the flat and string type plugs on car tires and I wouldnít want to use one on a bike for any more than an emergency (no other choice) repair to get me back to civilization & fix it properly.

OTOH, Iíve used the mushroom-head plugs (the smaller ones that are inserted from the outside & not the even better Patch/Plug type that TAPNTX is referring to above) on car tires for decades and even on a couple of bike tires (including one that had almost no tread left) and Iíve virtually never had one fail.

Two exceptions: Iíve seen steel belted radials on cars where the metal fibers around the hole wouldnít permit any type of plug to seal it properly and Never, EVER plug a sidewall!

Of course this is just anecdotal evidence with a mere 2 cents worth of value and all of the plug manufacturers that Iíve seen specifically state that they are for temporary repairs only... So if you use a plug and it fails and you crash & die, please donít come back and blame me!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
...Of course this is just anecdotal evidence with a mere 2 cents worth of value and all of the plug manufacturers that Iíve seen specifically state that they are for temporary repairs only... So if you use a plug and it fails and you crash & die, please donít come back and blame me!
Exactly! Dunlop Says:

It would seem that not many would argue that a plug is as good as an un-punctured tire. Few might argue that there is no difference between a plug and a patch plug. I've patched several truck tires 80psi with the kind of plugs you just jam in from the outside "sticky ropes". Never had one fail. I've also patch/plugged several motorcycle tires without a failure. But I've never used the "sticky ropes" on a motorcycle tire.

In fact I often replace my motorcycle tires long before they would fail the state inspection, but I run my car tires till they are practically bald. I wonder why that is?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman064 View Post
... I often replace my motorcycle tires long before they would fail the state inspection, but I run my car tires till they are practically bald. I wonder why that is?
Cars don't fall over as easily

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM

How would you feel about the tire maybe blowing up at 80 mph due to the plug?

I know how I'd feel, not smart. Replace the tire and have total piece of mind about it. Why take the chance?

I am the AGATT rider who also replaces tires as soon as they hit the wear marks. Only have two tires and I want mine in top shape. No exceptions.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 PM

I had the same issue with my ex (V-strom). I had it plugged and remounted with a tube installed. It was worry free ever after. And yes, you can use a tube with a tubeless tire and wheel.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
Replace the tire as soon as you can.

Last year I had a puncture from an unknown source on the rear tire of my V-Strom while traveling on the interstate in Oklahoma City. We were leaned over in a curve when the puncture occured. This was during a 5000+ mile 2-up trip with my wife, and we were pretty heavily loaded.

The tire deflated almost immediately, and the bike was almost impossible to control and keep from crashing. The rear kept fishtailing as the flat tire moved around on the rim.

I never want to experience that feeling again.

This is the temporary plug. We had the tire patched from the inside at a dealership in the next town. They also put a tube in the tubeless tire because they didn't trust the patch.

Last edited by E-nigma; 03-23-2010 at 06:11 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 PM

I purchase a set of the mushroom plug kit and a small foot pump but when getting a screw in the front tire I ended up replacing it for piece of mind. I kept the old tire and will probably have it plug patched, but the thought of the plug failing on a front tire at 70 plus mph, my nerves got the best of me and a new Pilot Road is now on the front.
I would be curious how many out there running with plugs, which tire and for how long.
The disclaimer in the plug kit says temp. repair only, do not go over 50mph and over 100 miles.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 AM

Replaced my rear pilot road yesterday had about an inch long tear pretty much in the centre of the tread it took 5 sticky rope plugs to get to seal so that i could get it to the tyre shop. The Michelin had 7500 miles on replaced it with another. Personally I don't want to ride a tyre with so many plugs. but the plugs did their job. I will never leave home without my puncture repair kit. just my 2c

ps tear was caused by a plastic friggin road cone some idiot hit and ripped the top off leaving the base with about 12 hardened plastic (teeth) to attach the top section. They seem to creep up on you at 4:30 am

Last edited by Hammer; 03-25-2010 at 01:32 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 AM

Indeed Those things are damn dangerous. I was lucky. the tire deflated pretty rapidly. But was able to pull over safely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode