Crossover brake line - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crossover brake line

Bought some new Shinko 705's and raised my front fender (looks great) - now wanted to replace my crossover brake line. Saw this ad on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3676wt_939 thought it looked like a pretty good deal on custom lines. I'm not sure however what fitting I need - I'm assuming #4 from their selection. Is a 10mm correct? Anyone see a problem with using these?

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's right. They're 10 mm, 45 degree fittings (#4, Type A). Stock crossover line is 22" long (end to end including fittings), so you'll need a 28" line (end to end including fittings) with fender raised 3".
You might be able to reuse stock crossover line rubber cover to protect fender paint and the line, by heating it up to slip it over the fittings. May as well uprade the upper line too while you're at it... My handguard would'nt allow me to go with dual independent lines which are installed together on the master cylinder with a longer double banjo bolt.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Invader. Got my lines (both fronts for $49 shipped) - black plastic enclosed SS lines with black fittings, look and work great. Here's what I ordered from them if you're interested:

Line 1 (crossover) -
28"
Fitting #4 (10mm 45 degree) on both ends
Type A
Black fittings and black hose

Line 2 -
41"
Fitting #6 and #1
Type A

Was a real bitch to bleed them but finally got it...

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 PM

My first post on this great forum, will post a proper intro later on. Just got 2 identical V's for a 3-week trip with a friend of mine who's flying in from Europe.

Went to the eBay auction to source the same setup of brake lines to be used with a relocated fender. The seller is asking about angle orientation to be used with #6 fitting. Do you guys (goodVERSYSevil and Invader) recall what kind of orientation did you spec out when placing an order?

Thanks !
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 PM

I went with Galfer 2 front lines with no crossover.I have the Barkbuster Storm handguards.I only had to add 1/8" spacer to clear the double master cylinder banjo bolt.Turned out nice.

Last edited by inroads; 05-24-2010 at 07:07 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 PM

Thanks Inroads! Would you happen to have a picture of your master cylinder setup? Is the double banjo bolt pretty generic or some tricky stuff?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 AM

I got a Galfer brake line kit front and rear for the versys off E-bay.Banjo bolts are included.$140.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodVERSYSevil View Post
Bought some new Shinko 705's and raised my front fender (looks great) - now wanted to replace my crossover brake line. Saw this ad on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3676wt_939 thought it looked like a pretty good deal on custom lines. I'm not sure however what fitting I need - I'm assuming #4 from their selection. Is a 10mm correct? Anyone see a problem with using these?
To Raise the front fender you will need some sort of plate to be atteched to the original screw points and then attache the front fender to the plate. Now the questions is do you fabricate the plate/bar or do you buy it. Can anyone post a drawing of the fender extender plate. considering to go high on the fender.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
To Raise the front fender you will need some sort of plate to be atteched to the original screw points and then attache the front fender to the plate. Now the questions is do you fabricate the plate/bar or do you buy it. Can anyone post a drawing of the fender extender plate. considering to go high on the fender.
These are what mine look like, 1/8" X 1" aluminum.
For information, I did a search on "Tourances"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000972.JPG (82.4 KB, 161 views)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Garage
Thanks for the details. I just ordered the same set up for mine. Can't wait to get them and put some new tires on.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Garage
So where did you get the Shinko's and what size did you go with? I can't find a 150/70 anywhere in stock.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kup1236 View Post
These are what mine look like, 1/8" X 1" aluminum.
For information, I did a search on "Tourances"
Many Thanks for your kind feedback. Just woundering, haven't the front fender got 2 lock bolts. If you use the raise to secure the fender, then would you not need to have 4 holes on the raiser plate.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 AM

Hi. Can any of you gents please help?
Im looking at going the galfer route. I have to go with a splitter since the zeta guards won't allow for the double banjo setup. When contacting the guy who will supply me he said there is a difference in spec between the US and Euro Model Versys Regarding the brake setup?.

Is the difference so significant that I wont be able to use the galfer lines on my Euro model?
Cheers H
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodVERSYSevil View Post
Thanks Invader. Got my lines (both fronts for $49 shipped) - black plastic enclosed SS lines with black fittings, look and work great. Here's what I ordered from them if you're interested:

Line 1 (crossover) -
28"
Fitting #4 (10mm 45 degree) on both ends
Type A

Line 2 -
41"
Fitting #6 and #1
Type A

Was a real bitch to bleed them but finally got it...
Thanks for the list!

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode