Rear brake troubles - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rear brake troubles

Hello,
I have a question for you all, maybe you have experienced this. I was riding my 14 Versys home this past weekend and started to do a hard stop and my rear brakes started acting funny. It does have ABS so I should mention that.
The pedal started going up and down and the tire locked a little then freed up.
Some noise coming from the back brake caliper as well when that happened. What is that? Some said it is the ABS acting normal but that is the first time it has happened and I have over 3000 miles on the bike. I could brake hard before and there was no problem at all. I was coming down and long winding downhill road, other side of the mountain, so there was a lot of braking, maybe it was just hot. I rode it yesterday and it seemed better but I did not brake hard this time. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 PM

Garage
That's the ABS working. It's normal, don't forget going downhill there is less weight on the rear especially when braking heavily with the front. I have at times used heavy braking on the front and very minimal rear braking will activate the rear ABS.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 02-04-2015 at 12:05 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Yep. The ABS saved your butt from hitting the pavement.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ya just sounds like hot brakes and stupid abs arguing..... if it dosnt happen again dont worry if it happens cold. get your pads and pistons checked

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:42 AM

ABS = Automatic Bacon Saver....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I feel a little better now about the situation. Just strange it never happened before during the first 3000 + miles. My back wheel also locks up a little when downshifting and braking at the same time in certain situations, like turning.

I will keep an eye on it and thanks again for your input.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
Thanks guys, I feel a little better now about the situation. Just strange it never happened before during the first 3000 + miles. My back wheel also locks up a little when downshifting and braking at the same time in certain situations, like turning.

I will keep an eye on it and thanks again for your input.
some lock up is expected if you are down shifting without rpm matching as the motor working as a brake causing the rear tire to spin slower then the front causing the abs to freak out
also the bike wasnt broke in as much befor = lower compression, less bedded brake pads, fresh routers , fresh oils......

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM

Sounds like the bike is working like it should. But maybe your technique needs some help.
I really like Ken Condon's site- Riding in the Zone. Here's a piece on Traction-
http://www.ridinginthezone.com/motor...on-management/
There's great info on cornering and braking as well. Good luck and keep learning; 18 years on the bike and I'm still learning!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Just to clear it up the problem of the rear tire locking up came from turning, not cornering and we are talking about speeds of 7mph or less, a compression skid would have been the better way to put it.

Anyway just happy there is nothing wrong with my brakes, been riding all winter here in Oregon and looking forward to spring coming soon!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaofan View Post
...been riding all winter here in Oregon and looking forward to spring coming soon!
Me too. I've been riding all winter here in Arizona and looking forward to spring coming soon, so the temps will get back into the 80s (82F today...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Me too. I've been riding all winter here in Arizona and looking forward to spring coming soon, so the temps will get back into the 80s (82F today...).

Well, I have had to bundle up a little more than you this winter but hey, happy you get to ride year around in sunny Arizona! Someday I will live somewhere warm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode