Front Sprocket Nut - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Front Sprocket Nut

Having trouble getting front sprocket nut off. Dallasdon posted that it is removed counterclockwise. no success. Is there a chance it is left hand thread? Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Dallasdon is right.remove counterclockwise. It's just tight as hell. use a impact wrench. hope it helps. ride safe.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, that will be my next step!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes, loosen counterclockwise with 26 mm socket. A 1-1/16" (26.9875 mm) 6 point socket also works. I guess you already flattened back the bent washer behind sprocket. It's supposed to be tightened to 92 ft-lbs, but a lot of force is needed to break its original bond. I blocked the rear wheel with a padded length of 1-1/2" (38 mm) X 2-7/8" (73 mm) wood stud across the swingarm, and cracked the nut loose with an extension pipe on 1/2" drive breaker bar... I don't need the extension pipe anymore, now that its already been removed and torqued back to 92 ft-lbs. You'll need a very powerful impact wrench to loosen it but if you do, leave it in neutral. Use a torque wrench to re-tighten.

Last edited by invader; 03-21-2010 at 05:16 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 PM

Hi there... I had the hardest time ever!!! to remove this nut... what I did was use a 1" 1/16th" socket... grounded the end of the socket (where if you have a look is usually a tappered edge on the inside of the sprocket) was that it had 100% flat edge on the socket to make sure that it had full bite surface on the rather shallow nut durface.... and with the rear brake locked on, clamping the chain and with a large length bar (and I do have proper gear for all this via my late father's Service Station tools) counter clockwise still couldn't remove the socket... I spent some 2 hours trying to remove it and in the end I got my dremel and cut a slot into the cross section of the nut and used a chisel to gently stretch the nut until if finially came off... (I am a metal worker so this isn't new to me) what I did then was repaired the nut with welding the cut I had made and refiled the nut and replace it (looks good as new with a fresh coat of silver paint on it) - when I changed the sprocket and did what I wanted to do.. however I did re-order another nut @ some $22.00Au and will repalce the nut next time I'm working on that area again. The problem being that the nut itself doesn't have a very large surface face area for the socket to geniunely bite on to. After further enquiring on other bikes that this seems to be a problem as they do lock them on pretty hard... I was told that the Dealership had a special rachet tool for this job. Hope this is of some help... catchya Andreas...... errrr still no responce on a 2007/08 VERSYS dealership catalogue? anyone got the candy Lime version brochure> - thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:22 PM

I know what you mean, I was also unable to break mine free by hand with a breaker bar and 2 feet of pipe on the end. Fortunately my neighbor had a 3/4 drive impact wrench, nut came off in about 2 seconds flat. I don't think it was necessary to put it on that tight at the factory. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode