Good Place To Mount Strebel Nautilis Horn - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Good Place To Mount Strebel Nautilis Horn

If your looking for a good place to mount check this out.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-30-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
One more photo

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-23-2010 at 12:12 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like this mounting better then under the faring. But, as this fella from UK forum says, you should get the more rugged, waterproof one.

Quote:
Just fitted my new Black Nautilus "Compact Tuning" model . 24.99 from local car spares shop.
Fitted it to the spare frame bracket that is on my Non ABS model. Good 1/2" gap between horn and C/Head + will be kept dry from warm air flow from radiator.

This is the fully Waterproof version which includes air vent adaptor / pipe, to stop water getting in when it's operated. :028:

Unlike the cheaper 15.99 non waterproof versions you get on Flea-Bay. :004:

:172: Loud. :152:

Richard

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...&topic=7659.45

Last edited by Ivan V; 03-14-2010 at 03:45 AM.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
I like this mounting better then under the faring. But, as this fella from UK forum says, you should get the more rugged, waterproof one.

[quote author=TowerMan link=topic=7659.msg91960#msg91960 date=1268404634]
Just fitted my new Black Nautilus "Compact Tuning" model . 24.99 from local car spares shop.
Fitted it to the spare frame bracket that is on my Non ABS model. Good 1/2" gap between horn and C/Head + will be kept dry from warm air flow from radiator.

This is the fully Waterproof version which includes air vent adaptor / pipe, to stop water getting in when it's operated.

Unlike the cheaper 15.99 non waterproof versions you get on Flea-Bay.

F***** Loud.

Richard

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...&topic=7659.45[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ivan

Richard

Last edited by TowerMan; 03-14-2010 at 04:17 AM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:10 AM

the only downside in my books is y'con't use that position if you have ABS

also for those who ride on the correct side of the road the horn is pointing away from the source of danger, of course if you ride on the wrong side of the road such as in the US, Canada or continental Europe thats not an issue

so my horn is stuffed under the LHS faring where its discrete and unobtrusive (until it needs tomake its present felt, when its 'kin loud)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Water hasn't been an issue as you can see from the water spots on the photo on the horn have been in several rain storms and hosed it down real good at the car wash to make sure. The horn is way loud sounds more like a train horn. To and from work every day i have to cross train tracks i always stay back from the cars just getting to the tracks then i hit the horn a few times in an instant there on the brakes and looking for a train.just my way of messing with people

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Water hasn't been an issue as you can see from the water spots on the photo on the horn have been in several rain storms and hosed it down real good at the car wash to make sure. The horn is way loud sounds more like a train horn. To and from work every day i have to cross train tracks i always stay back from the cars just getting to the tracks then i hit the horn a few times in an instant there on the brakes and looking for a train.just my way of messing with people
Weljo, what do you do? Just re-route the original horn wires? Also, how sturdy is the horn after mounting and do you have to modify anything to mount it? Nice job and thanks for the pics. Mark
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Very simple you can use the stock wires but i purchased the optional plug in wire harness for about 16.00. Had the tank off at the time because i mounted an glpro gear indicator and a powerlet 12v outlet. The mounting spot is already on the bike just bolted to it its on very sturdy.i've attached a link below that has the horns and wiring.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/motorcycle...4_287_247.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Probably order one on Monday. Thanx again.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 AM

Don't just use the stock wiring. The Stebel horn draws way more current than the OEM horn. That's important for two reasons: (1) with too light wiring, the horn will sound less loud than its potential volume, and (2) you can melt your OEM wiring and burn out the OEM horn switch, especially if you lay on the horn for a few seconds.

Use heavier gauge wire, like 16 or 14. Disconnect your OEM horn hot lead and attach it to a proper horn relay. (My Stebel came with a relay in the package.) Connect the relay to the battery's hot terminal and the horn to the relay and then ground both the relay and the horn. Now when you push your OEM horn switch, the relay closes and the horn draws current right from the battery on heavy gauge wire that can handle the current load. Your horn is loud.

Not complicated -- and way simpler than replacing your OEM horn switch and anything else that gets fried because you connected a current hog like a Stebel horn to OEM wiring.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

Last edited by Bones; 03-14-2010 at 11:19 AM.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Under the left side fairing works more neatly I believe. Mine's a WOLO from Harbor Freight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03573.jpg (648.0 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03575.jpg (489.0 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03576.jpg (678.1 KB, 291 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Why not mount it in the same place as the stock horn?
That's where I mounted mine. I used the stock rubber mounted horn bracket, after reforming it slightly.
I also pulled the stock horn wiring up behind the left fairing where I rewired it to a relay.
It's been there for a long time and lot of miles and weather.
Works fine for me and looks better to boot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0667.jpg (92.6 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0670.jpg (153.0 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0672.jpg (229.6 KB, 230 views)

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott View Post
That's where I mounted mine. I used the stock rubber mounted horn bracket, after reforming it slightly.
I also pulled the stock horn wiring up behind the left fairing where I rewired it to a relay.
Any clearance issues with the crash bars and the Algard engine guard? I plan on ordering the crash bars soon, and if there are issues with the Stebel in that location, it'd be nice to know.

Thanks,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM

No clearance issues at at all. The horn isn't even even close to either.
Actually the horn was there first. I removed it from another bike and put it on this one.
The pictures make it look closer than it really is.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

Last edited by bscott; 03-14-2010 at 06:01 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Any clearance issues with the crash bars and the Algard engine guard?
Dave, that's an SW Motech crash bar in the photo, not an Algard.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Dave, that's an SW Motech crash bar in the photo, not an Algard.
In the photo, it looks like bscott has both. I also have the Algard, and I'm lookin' to get both a Stebel horn and the Motech crash bars. I guess my post wasn't as clear as I intended.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott View Post

Well, if that is doable why put it under the faring or on the side?
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 AM

Stebel do say the horn has to be mounted near vertical
IIRC theres also a comment about not allowing water into the horn aperture

theres several Stebel horns, some are plug replaceable for the stock horn (no realy required), some are much meatier and need a relay and good wiring

some stebel horns can be separated so you can mont the compressor in one place and the horn elsewhere
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 AM

As much air as a Stebel outputs, I can't imagine much water staying in there. I have mine mounted in the same place as the stock horn with heavier wire and the relay (which are both required to get the full volume from the horn). I scared the crap out of a buddy when he asked what it was...I showed him! I haven't had any trouble with water, but I avoid riding in the rain if possible. It does take a little bit of bending to get it vertical, but not much.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 AM

I have ridden in rain several times with the horn in this position, both on this bike and with the horn on a previous bike. Last summer, I rode for two days straight in rain coming back from Ohio to Kansas. The horn still worked fine after that trip, although I was thoroughly soggy!

Stebel says to mount it vertical, as I understand there is a drain hole for water that will not allow water to drain if mounted any other position.

BTW, if anyone wonders what they sound like, here is an audio link:
http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/suon...nautilusCS.swf

2008 Versys, SOLD!

Last edited by bscott; 03-15-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode