Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: western Massachusetts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Don't just use the stock wiring. The Stebel horn draws way more current than the OEM horn. That's important for two reasons: (1) with too light wiring, the horn will sound less loud than its potential volume, and (2) you can melt your OEM wiring and burn out the OEM horn switch, especially if you lay on the horn for a few seconds.
Use heavier gauge wire, like 16 or 14. Disconnect your OEM horn hot lead and attach it to a proper horn relay. (My Stebel came with a relay in the package.) Connect the relay to the battery's hot terminal and the horn to the relay and then ground both the relay and the horn. Now when you push your OEM horn switch, the relay closes and the horn draws current right from the battery on heavy gauge wire that can handle the current load. Your horn is loud.
Not complicated -- and way simpler than replacing your OEM horn switch and anything else that gets fried because you connected a current hog like a Stebel horn to OEM wiring.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by Bones; 03-14-2010 at 11:19 AM.