Heated Grips - Electrical hookup - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated Grips - Electrical hookup

First mod to my 2011. I've got some BikeMaster heated grips on order. As another member mentioned, under the left fairing there's an electrical connector. It's a black box with two pairs of two wires. I hooked up a test lamp and one pair is always hot and the other is switched through the ignition.

I was thinking I would hook up the grips to the switched one's. Is this a good idea? I have no idea which circuit it's on or whether it can handle the additional load...I read the grips pull 4 amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDownSouth View Post
First mod to my 2011. I've got some BikeMaster heated grips on order. As another member mentioned, under the left fairing there's an electrical connector. It's a black box with two pairs of two wires. I hooked up a test lamp and one pair is always hot and the other is switched through the ignition.

I was thinking I would hook up the grips to the switched one's. Is this a good idea? I have no idea which circuit it's on or whether it can handle the additional load...I read the grips pull 4 amps.
That's how I have mine. I have it taped in to the power outlet wiring that's set up to run the factory grips. That way I can't leave the grips on and come back to a dead battery. There's a relay kit you can buy from the dealer that make's it work without any hacking of wires.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You should have a relay in the circuit I don't recall, but you might be able to download the instructions on installing the Kawasaki heated grips and relay kit off Kawasaki.com Then you can make sure you wire those up correctly.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You should have a relay in the circuit I don't recall, but you might be able to download the instructions on installing the Kawasaki heated grips and relay kit off Kawasaki.com Then you can make sure you wire those up correctly.
plus one
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I took Two Wheels advice and looked around the Kawasaki web site. They have a relay that plugs into the connector under the left fairing. It then activates the wires dangling down to give you two switchable circuits. I ordered the relay online for $30, which is of course triple what I should be paying but at least it eliminates a lot of wire hacking. Comes with bracket for mounting a hidden 12V socket.

If my BikeMaster grips don't come with them, I'll need to go to the auto store and get some of those round connectors and the installation should be pretty "plug n playish".

I'll post after all is completed.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 PM

That sounds a lot neater than the homebrew hack job I wired up on my '08.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I completed the BikeMaster heated grips this weekend. My 2011 has the accessory plug under the left fairing. I found the Kawasaki relay online for $30. It made the electrical installation very simple. I just needed to go to Home Depot and pick up a small box of the round automotive electrical connectors to add to the pos and neg grips wires.

Installing the grips was fairly easy. The left grip went on tight and I had to use a rubber mallet, then a 1" socket to use as a driver for the last 1/2" that the grips go past the ends of the handlebars.

The right grip was a different story, as it went on somewhat loose. I used the glue supplied by BikeMaster. It's like superglue, which is very thin and instantly stated dripping on the gas tank! Cover your tank. Then the end weight was pressing too hard against the grip so I installed a washer between the handlebar and weight...problem fixed.

BTW, the grips work great! I was wondering if they would heat my finger tips. I guess they warm the blood in your palms, which then flows to the tips. Very happy with them.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:20 AM

Garage
Can anyone post a picture/link of what connectors I will need to plug my R&G heated grips into the factory plug? I want to be prepared when it's time to install them. So I don't have to go to the store four times like the OP lol.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlee View Post
Can anyone post a picture/link of what connectors I will need to plug my R&G heated grips into the factory plug? I want to be prepared when it's time to install them. So I don't have to go to the store four times like the OP lol.
what year of bike are you getting? does it already have a switched (relayed) power supply ? what kind of wiring does your heated grips come with?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:09 PM

You only need the relay because you're pulling more power than you potentially should from the lines available at the connector. You can absolutely wire them directly to the battery without any relay or harness, and it doesn't make a cable mess and doesn't add any cost and doesn't use up the connector that you may want to use later for something else. The only downside is that it doesn't automatically shut them off when the bike is off, you can potentially drain your battery, installing a switch is trivial.

(I have the same heaters on my '13, direct wired, never had any issue.)
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:14 PM

Garage
I have a stock 15' and I ordered the relay already and plan on installing it at the same time. I like the idea of just plugging my grips into where the oem kawi ones would go. I'm guessing they are bullet connectors... I will install the connectors on the grips where they plug in
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlee View Post
I have a stock 15' and I ordered the relay already and plan on installing it at the same time. I like the idea of just plugging my grips into where the oem kawi ones would go. I'm guessing they are bullet connectors... I will install the connectors on the grips where they plug in

yes once you put the "oem relay kit thingy" in you can hook your heated grips up to the factory accessory bullet connectors

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Garage
Thanks!!!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:00 PM

all you lucky people with factory connectors

just wired in my power relay and fuse block under the left fairing. all new wires except for tapping into the running light feed to trigger the relay.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
all you lucky people with factory connectors

just wired in my power relay and fuse block under the left fairing. all new wires except for tapping into the running light feed to trigger the relay.
lol i know right? tho im honestly happier with my own relay and fuse block so i know its fail safe
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tml#post940961

yes im a guy.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:33 AM

Garage
I used AME grips wired direct to the battery. They turn themselves off.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 11:07 PM

Garage
Question regarding OEM heated grips

I just received my OEM heated grips in the post today. The instructions for installation are horrible. I've managed to install the OEM relay first ($19.95 here in Arkansas) and that part is done. Back to the installation instructions. They were vastly underexposed so the photos might as well not be included.

So, I've located the +/- leads and I know where to plug the new grips in. My question is this: What will be the presumed power consumption when the grips are on high?

Other circuits will be required for my bike. I will be running wiring from the battery to the cowling where I will be installing a Centec Fuse Block. Since I need a switched circuit to turn off the additional circuits. I was considering using the + positive lead from the newly powered power taps to power on/off a separate relay and in turn the Centec Fuse Block.

Since this is my first go with a Kawasaki is this scenario feasible or?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Numerous threads use search

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...s-his-fix.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...headlight.html notice last picture, looks like a wiring mess. It is meant to look like that to scare off newbies
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:24 AM

Garage
I did use search. None mention how many useful amps/volts are available after running the bike itself. My impetus is to not overload the available power taps under the cowling.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
I did use search. None mention how many useful amps/volts are available after running the bike itself. My impetus is to not overload the available power taps under the cowling.
See these threads
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1116674
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tml#post579465
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in