Frame rust - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Frame rust

Hey fellas, my V has only 3500 miles and I found some rust on the frame, under the head bearing area and some around the radiator holders, there was some on the serial number punched on the frame. If left unchecked that can ruin your bike for good, take some time and go over the bike frame just to make sure, once in a while. I use some heavy gear oil with a brush and covered the spots. My headers are also getting rusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Really bad in the winter months

The day I picked up my bike, I did a long ride up along the Tennessee line. We had several good snows in that region in the days before the ride and I splashed through salt several times during the ride. I noticed the next day that there was rust in several places on the bike from the salt. I now make a point to thoroughly rinse the bike off after every salty ride.

You can see the rust near the oil drain plug in the photo below:

After seeing your post, I think that I'll double check the area around the head bearing area. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and would hate to have to give it up because of my failure to keep an eye on the rust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Exactly Mr. Vee , I will be checking that area for the life of the bike, there are many places in the bike were rust can start and never be seen.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It does not look great but spray rust check (oil based rust inhibitor) on some of the parts of my bike that tend to rust. In the summer when rust is not a concern you can just wash it off.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeWNC View Post
You can see the rust near the oil drain plug in the photo below:
The 'rust' you're referring to on your cast aluminum oil pan is just some baked-on road crap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:08 AM

This is why I'm surprised to see people riding when there is tons of salt left over from a previous snow fall. Snow is still melting causing water and salt to mix together. Can't be good if spray from your tires and other vehicles splash onto your frame. I had the itch to ride when it got to 59F 2 days ago but since my bike is in pieces for maintenance and upgrades it forced me not to ride.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Simple, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
This is why I'm surprised to see people riding when there is tons of salt left over from a previous snow fall. Snow is still melting causing water and salt to mix together. Can't be good if spray from your tires and other vehicles splash onto your frame. I had the itch to ride when it got to 59F 2 days ago but since my bike is in pieces for maintenance and upgrades it forced me not to ride.

We're riders, not 'hobbyists'. It means a bit more maintenance along the way, but I bought the bike to ride, not park. I'm careful to wash it often, especially during rough weather, and I've learned which areas to pay particular attention to. If my ride couldn't take our local conditions, I wouldn't have it.

The rust in the photo above on the muffler mounts next to the oil drain plug is no longer a problem. I've found that frequent washing and a little WD40 keeps it at bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode