Ignition 'guard' not closing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ignition 'guard' not closing

Howdy all-

Noticed the other day that the little spring loaded guard that is meant to cover the keyhole when key is not present isn't closing. I gave it a shot of wd-40 to no avail. Anybody have any easy methods to get that little guy moving freely? I've had the ignition freeze up on me before, so I'm keen to not allow any water in there. I've also been considering making some kind of cover for only the dash, handlebars, and ignition...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM
MTS

Goat try with the key in and out and let it soak in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 PM

It's fried! The Sun melts the plastic in the lock and binds the small internal springs. Well that's what it did on my BMW F650ST and the locks were better new than Vs. 650's. When you get new ones, try the fluid below from Amazon (hint - space age stuff: works on electronic boards, locks, everything, just let it seep in.) I hope I'm wrong, but these locks are terrible and it was the first thing I did after reading about all the key replacement on this site.

For Polycarbonate shields and even the Givi D410ST, Sun light is supposed to bad for the back side of the screen. So I carry a thin $20 cover and loop it around from seat to front edge of fender when left in Sun during day or rainy either one (Acid rain ALSO does not help locks either.) You have to go through Gestapo check points with the original bike's dealer to get a lock/key from BMW (and it won't match your other keys.) I hope Kawasaki's is better, but at least I learned that oem 'gotcha' already - $$$. It was not an easy job on my BMW, so I will assume it's not a bed of roses for the Vs. 650 either. I hope I'm wrong. Keep in touch and let us know the result please. I'd put the spray below in all of your locks now: ignition for what its worth (you may get lucky), gas cap, and seat. $25 incl. shipping but it lasts forever.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip kawdog. I'll definitely give this a shot and report back.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 AM

You could also try Kroil, which is hardcore stuff.

My recommendation would be to give a "dry" lube a try, though. Locks can get pretty gummy if you use too much wet lube and you'll have to reapply it all the time.

Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant is available almost anywhere and won't get gummy. The carrier in the spray should also clear out the WD that's in there, too.

Maybe get a small screwdriver and dry to jiggle the cover back and forth to work the lubricant in.

2014 Versys ABS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
You could also try Kroil, which is hardcore stuff.

My recommendation would be to give a "dry" lube a try, though. Locks can get pretty gummy if you use too much wet lube and you'll have to reapply it all the time.

Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant is available almost anywhere and won't get gummy. The carrier in the spray should also clear out the WD that's in there, too.

Maybe get a small screwdriver and dry to jiggle the cover back and forth to work the lubricant in.
The amazing thing about the space age stuff is it works on circuit boards and electronics too. It may take a couple of days to seep in (vs taking a switch apart), but the electronics are renewed after 20 years like new. As cheap of a solution as it is (50 cents an application or less), no wonder its a consistant top 10 Amazon product in it's class. Wet lube, dry lube, ... , forget that: it's in a class by itself.

However, once the lock cover is restricted, it may signify the internal springs have sprung through the melted/deformed plastic (or it's about too.) If it holds off a while, at least it wouldn't ground him immediately. The next thing will be not being able to insert the key due to plastic/spring garbage in key hole. Then you are grounded I would start getting the parts ready though, since the labor is the main thing to worry about for most non-pro mechanics. With up to a couple weeks getting the parts, it can ground you for a while if you don't plan it out start to finish.

And when I fished a jewelers screw driver in the ignition lock cover, I pulled out a long wiry springs with plastic bits on it. That was the finals straw and I could not get a key in afterwards. I'd be very careful about doing that (it's an oem trap, lol.)

Last edited by kawdog; 01-13-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode