Breather/Catch can setup...is it needed? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Breather/Catch can setup...is it needed?

So upon doing a little research online for a truck that I am planning on buying, I see that it has a problem with carbon build-up because it is direct injection and the oil recirculation hastens the process.

The cure for that is a simple catch can put in line with the PCV valve. Done. A super nice one can be had for $100.

I got to thinking- After my last long ride, I had about 1" of oil in my airbox drain- which I promptly took care of. 1" is only a few drips.

So here is my question: Would the intake and engine longevity benefit from a catch can? I would maintain the recirculation but keep the mist from condensing in the airbox, and isolate it to a serviceable container.

The other option would be to vent it outside and plug the airbox.

Here is a good overview of how they work:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466346

2014 Versys ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Catch cans are usually for excess crankcase pressure on forced induction vehicles. It keeps the oily air from being recycled into the intake trac. The direct injection motors get carbon built up on the intake valves because fuel is injected into the cylinder directly as supposed to a port injection engine where the fuel is injected into the intake manifold and get into the cylinder only after flowing over the intake valves. The egr system is what recycles the unburnt exhaust gases back on to the intake valves. You will want to do a egr delete to get rid of that.

On the mazdaspeed vehicles those who didn't do an egr delete would just take their intake manifolds off clean em out and clean the intake valves, ever so often. The pcv valve recycles oily air into the I take track. Putting a catch can after that will prevent your intake from getting nasty. For more specific advise visit the forum for your malkeand model of truck.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black

Last edited by Obijack; 01-09-2015 at 01:02 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Well the truck is a given and it has been done and documented. My question is more specifically about the Versys having one installed. Keeping a cleaning intake would do nothing but help out.

The amount of oil in the intake was very negligible, but I think I'd rather keep it from getting there in the first place.

2014 Versys ABS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:01 PM

Does anyone make block off plates for th egr for the Versys. I know graves makes me for yamaha's. A lot of people did that on the fz09 forum.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
Does anyone make block off plates for th egr for the Versys. I know graves makes me for yamaha's. A lot of people did that on the fz09 forum.

Is there an egr on the versys?
I know there is a pair valve but it adds air to exhaust from air box and not other way around like egr does. There is a pair valve block off plate you can buy but is expensive and not a common product available. Edit: Driven Engine block off plate for Versys USD$35

If any of you want a crank case breather catch can filter look at the ProVent products.
I run a ProVent 200 in my 2011 VW Jetta 125TDI high output 2.0 litre common rail diesel.

Last edited by Gigitt; 01-09-2015 at 08:57 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
Catch cans are usually for excess crankcase pressure on forced induction vehicles. It keeps the oily air from being recycled into the intake trac. The direct injection motors get carbon built up on the intake valves because fuel is injected into the cylinder directly as supposed to a port injection engine where the fuel is injected into the intake manifold and get into the cylinder only after flowing over the intake valves. The egr system is what recycles the unburnt exhaust gases back on to the intake valves. You will want to do a egr delete to get rid of that.

On the mazdaspeed vehicles those who didn't do an egr delete would just take their intake manifolds off clean em out and clean the intake valves, ever so often. The pcv valve recycles oily air into the I take track. Putting a catch can after that will prevent your intake from getting nasty. For more specific advise visit the forum for your malkeand model of truck.
Hahaha i had a speed for 5 years. Never did the catch can. I was also spooked about direct injection with carbon buildup. I used to do seafoam induction cleaning every 10k or so, smoke party every time

Now i worry about the egr and sending raw fuel into the exhaust on my '12 ram cummins

/threadjack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode