Extended warranty? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Ted
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extended warranty?

How many of you folks have done the Good Time Protection Plan for the V?
Worth it?
Thanks.
Ted is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, tx
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I didn't buy it and I don't think it's worth it as most extended warranties aren't.

Besides if you're going to have a catastrophic failure then it will probably happen within the first year unless you don't ride your bike. If you ride pretty regularly and everything is fine within the first year then chances are your engine was properly put together and it will last a long time.

My dealer won't even stand behind a cable that I believe was defective. Frayed real bad after only 5 months. So, I'm not going to give them more money. Save the 600 dollars (or whatever the price is) for your future repairs.
rumbo75 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Member
 
blipco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: boston, MA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My friend, a twenty year motorcycle mechanic at a big dealership told me although it may give you peace of mind you will find that if it doesn't break in the first year it probably won't. That is why on the Jap bikes you can get a long contract for a reasonably low price. He never recommends them.
blipco is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Member
 
Sike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you can negotiate a good deal on it (they mark them up a ton), then it is worth it (if you keep your stuff and do it every time). I have had them on all my vehicles for about 20 years, and I'm now about $700 up. But, I have kept most of those vehicles until the extended warranty has been up. And, more importantly, I have had good relationships with each of the dealers. So, a couple months before the warranties have been up, they have carefully examined my vehicles (bikes and cars) and fixed anything questionable under warranty.
Sike is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, tx
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sike View Post
If you can negotiate a good deal on it (they mark them up a ton), then it is worth it (if you keep your stuff and do it every time). I have had them on all my vehicles for about 20 years, and I'm now about $700 up. But, I have kept most of those vehicles until the extended warranty has been up. And, more importantly, I have had good relationships with each of the dealers. So, a couple months before the warranties have been up, they have carefully examined my vehicles (bikes and cars) and fixed anything questionable under warranty.
How do you figure you're $700 up? Most dealers are very expensive for their service. Maybe you would be up even more if you didn't buy the warranty and had service done at a cheaper shop? Have you had bad luck on your vehicles, generally speaking?

I bought warranties for vehicles in the past and I've never used them. I believe extended warranties are only good if you have a lemon. But aren't there laws for that? You should know if you have a lemon by the end of the year....hopefully.
rumbo75 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,327
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I bought my '04 KLR used (236 kms!!!) w/ a 36 month extended warranty. Bike NEVER saw a dealer again, and now has 66,000 kms (41,000 miles).
IMHO, SAVE your $!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Pegasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Peters, MO
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought mine for $600 when I bought the bike. The salesman only had a small leaflet on it that didn't really explain much. After waiting for a month and not receiving anything from Kawasaki in the way of a policy that explained what was covered I returned to the dealer and asked about it. He called someone and they promised to send a policy. Two weeks later...nothing so back to the dealer, they called again. After two more weeks I called several phone numbers and finally got through to someone that promised to send me a policy. The next week I got a letter that in one paragraph said to read my policy carefully. That was enough, back to the dealer to get my money back. Finally after another 2 months I got my money back. Never again. Who ever manages that program is a moron. Did anyone out there ever get a policy????
Pegasus is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA California
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extended Warranty

Guys,


Go to e-bay and buy the GTPP for $315, the plan covers all Kawasaki bikes under 900cc for 48 months. Look under Kawasaki Extended Warranty. My .02 GV09
GraciesVersys09 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Sike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
How do you figure you're $700 up? Most dealers are very expensive for their service. Maybe you would be up even more if you didn't buy the warranty and had service done at a cheaper shop? Have you had bad luck on your vehicles, generally speaking?

I bought warranties for vehicles in the past and I've never used them. I believe extended warranties are only good if you have a lemon. But aren't there laws for that? You should know if you have a lemon by the end of the year....hopefully.
I have kept track over the years. The cost of the repairs that were covered under the extended warranty versus the cost of the extended warranties. I have used the dealer repair prices, because they were the folks making the repairs (so, obviously I could have found a cheaper place to do it). I haven't had any lemons. But, for example, our Suburban paid us back quite nicely in this equation. The warranty cost us about $1200 (several years back), and it provided us roughly $4300 in covered repairs (about $1600 of which was that last check-up before the warranty ran out). Another car that helped greatly in the equation was my Acura. The radiator went out a couple weeks after the standard warranty was up, and the part alone was about $1000. So, maybe the cheapest of shops and no warranties would have me a couple hundred ahead, but my way of doing it has been much less stressful for me.
Sike is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Member
 
blipco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: boston, MA
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sike View Post
I have kept track over the years. The cost of the repairs that were covered under the extended warranty versus the cost of the extended warranties. I have used the dealer repair prices, because they were the folks making the repairs (so, obviously I could have found a cheaper place to do it). I haven't had any lemons. But, for example, our Suburban paid us back quite nicely in this equation. The warranty cost us about $1200 (several years back), and it provided us roughly $4300 in covered repairs (about $1600 of which was that last check-up before the warranty ran out). Another car that helped greatly in the equation was my Acura. The radiator went out a couple weeks after the standard warranty was up, and the part alone was about $1000. So, maybe the cheapest of shops and no warranties would have me a couple hundred ahead, but my way of doing it has been much less stressful for me.
Talk about apples and oranges. You are comparing a Chevy Suburban to a Japanese motorcycle?
blipco is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Member
 
Hardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
How many of you folks have done the Good Time Protection Plan for the V?
Worth it?
Thanks.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It depends on how much you intend to ride it. See my reply on this thread...

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...7367#post67367

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Hardware is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Member
 
Sike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Talk about apples and oranges. You are comparing a Chevy Suburban to a Japanese motorcycle?
You missed the Acura example?

Why the hostility or argumentation?

The plans on the motorcycles, and I have had many, have been far less expensive. The plan on the Warrior paid for itself and the next three bikes, too. You don't have to agree with me, I'm just trying to present some personal evidence. Part of the reason these plans pay off for the companies is the lack of follow through of the owners. Virtually nobody gets the motorcyle plan transferred.
Sike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome