Question re adding gas / fuel / petrol - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Question re adding gas / fuel / petrol

Hi

I added gas twice today to the V (before and after a glorious ride inthe sun on the "Sea to Sky" highway).

The first time I got off the bike, removed my helmet & gloves, added the gas and geared up again.

The second time I sat on the bike, took off my gloves (only) swiped the credit card on the pump, filled the tank, closed the cap, put on the gloves and headed home - much simpler.

BUT afterward I worried - what IF something went wrong - e.g. a spark cause the gas to ignite while I was sitting on the bike. I would have had great difficulty geting off the bike (if the tank hadn't exploded in my face).

Am I being paranoid?

Do you sit on the bike while gassing it up, or do you always get off?

Cheers

Bigaussie

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 PM

I always get off when I fill up, it does a couple things, it affords you the opportunity to strech your body and it gives you a chance to give the bike a quick look over as there could have been as much 250 miles since you last got off.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers

Dan
life happens, ride often
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 AM

I always get off for several reasons:

1) I grab a paper towel before I start fueling so that (in the unlikely event) that I spill a little... or even just a few drops spit out... I can get it off tank immediately!

2) A quick visual inspection of the bike & gear.

3) A few deep knee bends for my aging legs (sometimes cleverly disguised as a quick visual inspection of the bike).

4) While I really donít think itís ever going to happen, if it ever did catch fire; I want to be running for a fire extinguisher to save the bike, not running for my life!

Whenever I see someone fueling from the saddle I think to myself; Well arenít you Mr. Cool - You stupid ass!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM

I always get off the bike. Gives me time to stretch, plan, snack, whatever. Plus it just seems safer...

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Ted

I get off the bike, get a towel, wipe the nozzle of the pump (so no crap gets in the tank, and use the same towel to catch drips. I don't pay at the pump and usually am out on commutes/ short rides, but it is good to stretch legs and also check the V after paying up.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Get off the bike and refuel. Leather gears are good source for static current and can cause fire! Always get down for your own safety.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Well arenít you Mr. Cool - You stupid ass!

That is what I thought AFTER I did it.

I was less than 1 km from home so the stretch / inspection / etc was able to wait that last 60 seconds.

I will take all your advise from now.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

How do you get static current while sitting on the bike? I've heard that before with gas cans that are in the trunk of a car...that is usually carpeted.

The stretching is a good idea but if you're just commuting then why get off if you don't have to?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I ALWAYS gas up sitting on the bike so I can FILL it!

Having said that, I NEVER fill it up UNLESS I'll be riding at least 10 miles so I won't get the gas expanding from engine heat and leaking. (Basically I fill at the start of a ride.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Yes you are paranoid

I always fill up sitting on the bike and no explosions in 30 years!

Mainly because like others mention I like to get it filled to the right to the top, plus its a lot less hassle than getting off.

Some times I take my helmet off and make a few cell phone calls as well. BTW, its an urban myth that cell phones can cause an explosion at a gas station. But, peace of mind is a good thing, so keep doing what makes you comfortable and I'll do the same.

Machog

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
How do you get static current while sitting on the bike? I've heard that before with gas cans that are in the trunk of a car...that is usually carpeted.
Vehicles can generate a substantial static charge while theyíre moving and can hold the potential because theyíre isolated from the ground on rubber tires, therefore itís not a real good idea to make the first point of contact to ground with a gas nozzle.

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Vehicles can generate a substantial static charge while theyíre moving and can hold the potential because theyíre isolated from the ground on rubber tires, therefore itís not a real good idea to make the first point of contact to ground with a gas nozzle.
Thanks Hardware for the explaination on the static current.

End of the day, its your call gentlemen. Gas it which everway you feel is good for you. Me will always get down, and fill the tank with the bike on side stand.

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 AM

I like to stay on the bike but only while smoking and talking on my cell. However I do dismount when I feel like slamming a tallboy before my ride.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 AM

I sit on the bike when filling her up. Only way to get her filled to the brim.
I do agree it's good to stretch out before mounting the iron horse again.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Well every day I learn something new. Today I learned that my front tire made by Dunlop is made out of conductive compound and the back is also Dunlop and is non conductive, both OEM for the Versys.I tested the side wall and tire tread as well as going from the metal wheel to the tread surface using a 500 volt megger.So some tires are conductive, containing carbon black which is a UV inhibitor.
If you ever see a video of trucks coming in contact with power lines and the resulting tires catching on fire, that is why.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...some tires are conductive, containing carbon black which is a UV inhibitor.
Interesting... I didnít know that.

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Well every day I learn something new. Today I learned that my front tire made by Dunlop is made out of conductive compound and the back is also Dunlop and is non conductive, both OEM for the Versys.I tested the side wall and tire tread as well as going from the metal wheel to the tread surface using a 500 volt megger.So some tires are conductive, containing carbon black which is a UV inhibitor.
If you ever see a video of trucks coming in contact with power lines and the resulting tires catching on fire, that is why.
weldone onewizard.

Very interesting facts..

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
cls

Yep, I stay on the bike and I don't take my gloves off. I'm in and gone in very short order. Almost 30 years, a few hundred thousand miles, and no issues.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Yes you are paranoid

I always fill up sitting on the bike and no explosions in 30 years!

Mainly because like others mention I like to get it filled to the right to the top, plus its a lot less hassle than getting off.

Some times I take my helmet off and make a few cell phone calls as well. BTW, its an urban myth that cell phones can cause an explosion at a gas station. But, peace of mind is a good thing, so keep doing what makes you comfortable and I'll do the same.

Machog
if you try using your batphone on a petrol forecourt in the UK the pretend "'elf & saftey" twonks will be on your case pronto. I'd agree its an urban myth.... a far more likely explanantion is that some of the early digital fuel dispensing systems have a problem from RFI. there shouldn't be many of those left, as all applainces have to pass the low voltage standards.. that means testign against emitting RFI and against system failure from enternal RFI.... its been a requirement for many many years, possibly 15..20 years
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM

A friend of mine gassed up sitting on the bike when we were 100 miles away from home. He dumped gas in his lap, and we were lucky to be near a truck stop where he could get a shower and run his clothes through a washer and dryer.

And that's why I ALWAYS get off to fuel.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode