Transmission is down - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Transmission is down

Have a 2012 with 21,000 miles. The transmission has always done funny things like miss shifts but they seemed to go away after about 10,000 miles. Back in October I could feel the shift lever bouncing up and down about a half an inch when in the first three gears. It almost felt like there was too much slack in the chain but that was not the issue. I keep a tight maintenance schedule and havent skipped anything. I let the dealership take a look. The mechanic rode it and agreed that it was not normal so in it went. He was unable to locate any one specific problem and requested a new trnsmission set from Kawasaki since I still have it under warranty. It is now 2015 and I still don't have my bike. Kawasaki refuses to replace anything unless the mecahnic can isolate the exact piece causing the problem. Two mecahnics have checked the tolerances and found them to be good with no observable damaged parts. Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, what part(s) caused the problem. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4b View Post
Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, what part(s) caused the problem. Thanks.
Not a similar mechanical problem, but a similar OEM Motorcycle company shafting an owner due to their poor quality verifications. I had a brand new 1997 BMW F650 ST, and it was using oil bad(!) I was putting in a third of a quart per 100 miles. The dealer said, "Oh, it's just breaking in" (my ass!) I rode like this for 2000 miles until I dropped it off and said, "FIX IT!"

Come to find out, it had no rings put in it from the factory (Austria)!! BMW from the Motherland (Germany) sent a complete sealed top end assembly with heads, pistons, and cylinders. Of course I'm thinking about the bottom end with that much metal grinding going on, but I was just glad not to carry 3 quarts of oil around with me and ride my motorcycle.

ANYWAY, in your case, IT'S NOT YOUR fault they don't know why they had a assembly error/vendor part's defect. That's not YOUR problem, their defect could have killed you on the road. YOU WANT IT FIXED NOW (a total new engine if possible)! They will keep jacking you around if you let them, believe me ymmv
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4b View Post
Have a 2012 with 21,000 miles. The transmission has always done funny things like miss shifts but they seemed to go away after about 10,000 miles. Back in October I could feel the shift lever bouncing up and down about a half an inch when in the first three gears. It almost felt like there was too much slack in the chain but that was not the issue. I keep a tight maintenance schedule and havent skipped anything. I let the dealership take a look. The mechanic rode it and agreed that it was not normal so in it went. He was unable to locate any one specific problem and requested a new trnsmission set from Kawasaki since I still have it under warranty. It is now 2015 and I still don't have my bike. Kawasaki refuses to replace anything unless the mecahnic can isolate the exact piece causing the problem. Two mecahnics have checked the tolerances and found them to be good with no observable damaged parts. Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, what part(s) caused the problem. Thanks.
We had the exact same symptoms on a members new V on the www.versys.co.uk forum recently. ie - when accelerating, especially in the lower gears, the gear shift lever would apparently feel like it was bouncing up and down against his foot.

It transpired that whilst the engine mounting bolts appeared to be tight, they were not tight enough. The engine was moving slightly in relation to the gear lever which is mounted on frame - and the linkage connects them.

So get them to check the tightness of the engine / frame mounting bolts, especially the lower rear bolts.

This solved his problem.

Richard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

That does seem like it would be the culprit. I will tell the mechanic to check those. Thanks for the help guys.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM

That makes sense, keep us posted as that would be the weirdest thing ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode