Bike Won't Start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bike Won't Start

All,
I am in dire need of some help here. I started my '09 V last on last saturday. I was out of town for a few days and when I cam back home I put on some new mirrors a new tankbag....in any event after I finished all of teh additions I tried to start the bike to see what kind of vibrations I would see in the mirrors and the bike wouldn't start. At first it made the attempt to start but then it would just turn through it cyclic nothingness. I let it sleep overnight in hopes taht with a good charge on the battery it would spring to life, however still nothing. I will note that the last time it started the exhaust was really rich but I attributed that to it being up for the winter.

Any Ideas???

Dan
life happens, ride often
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM

flip the kill switch when you put the mirrors on?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM

+1 on the kill switch on the right handlebar. It is easy to hit it with a gloved finger or hand and not notice that you have switched it off. I've done this a few times. I've even considered taping it in the on position.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

The kill switch was the first thing that I checked. The bike would go through the ignition cycle, the engine would turn over but no starty. Further it would leave a little spot of gas on the floor from where it came out of the over flow tube, so it was getting gas. The next question are air and spark. After some pondering and conversing with an old friend we decided it was time to take the gas tank off and then continue to remove the air box. Once we determined that a mouse hadn't made a home in the air box, we then removed the spark plugs and low and behold the plugs were fouled beyond recognition. This is a case of bad gas. Note to self, fuel stabilizer isn't all it is cracked up to be, I wll have to come up with a better winterization process for next year. I never would have thought that the plugs would have fouled on a bike with 550 miles on it. Needless to say once we got it all back together it ran fine.

Dan
life happens, ride often

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM

I had a similar problem today, just bought the bike (08 w/ 12,000 km), today was my first time taking it out (and it was great) but after bringing it to work, starting a few times, bringing in and out of shop for some adjustments, around 9am tried to start it to bring it in for safety and would not start, tried again at 9:30, 10, 12, 2pm. It would not start so i had to load it in a truck and carry it home, pretty embarrassing first impression at work. Tomorrow I will try the tedious task of pulling off the tank, air box to check the plugs, thanks for the info, hope it works for me too!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Must be a phase of the moon thing. I had mine delivered this week and don't even have plates on it and it is doing the same thing. Cranks, spits, won't start and smells like bad gas.

I wonder if with the cold weather I should change the heat range of the spark plug until it warms up a little more (High today was only 45deg F) I plan to start riding to work next week.

Last edited by ironrider1000; 03-05-2010 at 08:08 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphydt View Post
the plugs were fouled beyond recognition. This is a case of bad gas. Note to self, fuel stabilizer isn't all it is cracked up to be, I wll have to come up with a better winterization process for next year.
What grade and brand of gas was it, and how long was it stored for? Did you add Sta-Bil or other stabilizer as soon as you stored it? Stabilizer does have a shelf life. Was it still bright red? It would help to shake the bike back and forth a bit when you add it, then run the engine for a few minutes to also protect the gas in the pump, lines and fuel rail.
I don't have such problems with Canadian Shell premium gas in it when it's stored... I leave the fuel tank in a shed, out in our relatively cold winters.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 AM

fuel stabilizer

my dealer told me not to use stabil. the service manager said with the newer fuels starting can be a problem. i also heard on the same thing on click and clack. i have been using sea foam with out problems. just a thought.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM

I swapped plugs and the old ones were black and wet. Must remember to ride it harder to keep the plugs hot in this cooler weather.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Changed the plugs and VOILA. Started right up
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrider1000 View Post
I swapped plugs and the old ones were black and wet. Must remember to ride it harder to keep the plugs hot in this cooler weather.
Make sure the engine is properly warmed up before riding it harder and at higher rpm's. The cooling system's thermostat should allow engine to reach and remain at normal operating temperature. Depending how cold you ride in, covering up part of the radiator (bottom half) for temperatures under 40 degrees Farenheit would help achieve an acceptable operating temperature more quickly... If the radiator fan starts, decrease amount of coverage.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:12 AM

I am getting a problem like this that the bike wont start, see my other thread, starts fine, but then I have to ride up a very steep incline to leave the garage, when I come out and stop the bike to close the garage door behind me, the bike will then not start. Could it be this incline is soaking the plugs?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 02:37 PM

I am having a problem with my Versys over-heating. The fan isn't coming on. I checked the fuses but they are okay. For a while there, the fan would come on whenever I turned the ignition switch on.

Since the weather has been fairly cool. I have been riding the bike and it hasn't overheated. Now that the weather is warming up, the high temperature indicator light has come on some steam came out of the overflow tube.

I don't want to ride it anymore until the problem is fixed.

Any suggestions?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:29 PM

I had that happen to me on my off-road bike. I removed and tested the radiator fan/motor, hooked it up to 12 volts and quickly found that it was shot. I replaced it with a new fan/motor assembly and away I went.

I am now much more careful when I wash my dirt bike, and I don't point the hose in the area of the radiator or fan.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Man that drawing is hard to follow, according to the drawing the fan relay is fuse #2 and is 15 amp. Separate instructions on testing fan,see page 552, section 16-64.Fan Motor Inspection •Disconnect the connector [A]. •Using an auxiliary leads, supply battery power to the fan
motor.
If the fan does not rotate, the fan motor is defective and
must be replaced.
Radiator Fan Circuit

If that works, then the next thing is to test the fan relay, make sure fuse #2 is good. The purple with blue tracer is the coil circuit for the fan, it appears to go to the ECU, this wire needs to be disconnected from the ECU and if you ground the purple/ blue at the relay end, this should pull in the fan relay, and the fan should run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode