Battery Charger Q - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Battery Charger Q

I want to intall the OEM 12V socket so I can I charge/maintain the battery thru there. Good idea? Bad idea?

I have the Deltran Battery Tender Junior charger. This "cigarette lighter" connector looks like it should work >>>

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Deltran-Cigarette-081-0069-5/dp/B003CJ927I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1420245258&sr=8-8&keywords=12+volt+battery+connectors

It will definitely connect to the charger but is the "cigarette lighter" style connection to the outlet on the bike the best or is there a better type of connector thru the 12V socket?

I've been looking but don't see much.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:03 PM

Won't work, the factory plug is switched so no power will flow if the key is off.

What I did was install the power plug BUT I then hooked up a "69" lead to the battery for the tender to hook to (that's the end that comes on the Deltran and the lead come with it, at least on the Jr. I bought) and ran the lead under the seat so I can get at it to plug the charger.

Here a short write up I did on a cheaper way than the full factory power socket setup that has no mods need to the bike at all.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104938

PS this only works for the 2nd gen Versys as the 1st gen is not per-wired.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 01-02-2015 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Time. Nice set-up and write up.

Forgive me as this is all new to me. I thought if you did not use a relay the 12V outlet would not be "switched" - or tied to the key but instead "always on".

Also, my original plan was to use the "ring connector" with the snap cord but I can't seem to find a nice place to tuck the cord (I may give it another look).

** Right now I'm using the gator clips but my tail bag sits on the pillion so pulling the seat off is a bit of a pain**

Looking for a solution.

Last edited by Gatorfan; 01-02-2015 at 09:20 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
I have mine installed with the ring connectors and coming out the side right by the stock helmet lock, should be far enough forward that it should clear your boxes and you can tuck it away when not in use.
or if you never take your cases off you could install it inside one of your boxes then you can jump start people from it (did this a few times on my cafe bike)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1420251250518.jpg (48.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 1420251536177.jpg (51.3 KB, 51 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 01-02-2015 at 09:22 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

So Silvie, it looks like you tuck it behind the black plastic above your shock?

(thank you for pics)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 PM

Garage
Sorry. I can't get pics till spring....
I originaly used the rings and mounted directly to the battery. I had the pig tail come out on the kickstand side down in the trelis for the rear support. I have a black zip tie holding it close to the trellis, and not visible unless you get real close and loom for it.
I then intsalled a fuze block under the seat, and wanted to clean up my battery so I hooked it into the Fuze Block on a "always on " circuit.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is a pretty old thread, but I hate starting new ones for simple questions. I bought the ever popular Battery Tender Jr when I had to replace the battery in my wife's Yamaha 250 and it works great. I want to buy an extra set of pigtails to install on the V, but the owners pamphlet only talks about lead-acid batteries. Can Battery Tender Jr be used on AGM batteries. Thanks, CJC

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:33 PM

I hope so because I've been doing it for that past 5 winters
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
This is a pretty old thread, but I hate starting new ones for simple questions. I bought the ever popular Battery Tender Jr when I had to replace the battery in my wife's Yamaha 250 and it works great. I want to buy an extra set of pigtails to install on the V, but the owners pamphlet only talks about lead-acid batteries. Can Battery Tender Jr be used on AGM batteries. Thanks, CJC
i think some on the OLD tender JR were lead only but the newer ones can do multi type batteries, look on the charger or google the model # and you can get some definitive info

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i think some on the OLD tender JR were lead only but the newer ones can do multi type batteries, look on the charger or google the model # and you can get some definitive info
Silvie might have nailed it (thanks Silvie). On line on company website it details p/n 021-0123 and says it is good for all battery types including AGM. But in my owners sheet, which says p/n 392-0247-RC. it says "Use charger for charging a LEAD-ACID battery only". I will contact company and keep you posted. While newly purchased, mine came from O'Reilly auto parts and perhaps was old stock? Guess that one will continue duty on my wifes Yamaha and I will buy another for my V and my Honda.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Chuck - just tell her to get out there and RIDE it! That way the battery WILL be charged up...

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM

I have a 12v (cigarette) power port direct connect to the battery. Replaced my float charger clips with a male cigarette plug. Just plug the float charger in the port, works for me.

JoH
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 06:34 PM

The only problem I was told about was not to try and run one battery tender to two different types of batteries at the same time, I guess you could do that if you used a "Y" plus and took the batteries out of the bikes. Really though the tenders are cheap enough to get one for each bike, doing so for three bikes is cheaper than one battery is.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I have a 12v (cigarette) power port direct connect to the battery. Replaced my float charger clips with a male cigarette plug. Just plug the float charger in the port, works for me.

JoH
Just make sure you check/confirm the polarity with a volt meter when wiring the leads from the charger to a plug. Getting them accidentally reversed will fry the battery and perhaps other components. Sometimes you have to reverse the leads when plugging a charger into a power port. Also the 12 power port will need to be wired direct to the battery on the bike, and NOT through a relay or some other method, to be able to charge the battery through it.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-24-2017 at 06:47 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just make sure you check/confirm the polarity with a volt meter when wiring the leads from the charger to a plug. Getting them accidentally reversed will fry the battery and perhaps other components. Sometimes you have to reverse the leads when plugging a charger into a power port. Also the 12 power port will need to be wired direct to the battery on the bike, and NOT through a relay or some other method, to be able to charge the battery through it.
+1
JoH
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Silvie might have nailed it (thanks Silvie). On line on company website it details p/n 021-0123 and says it is good for all battery types including AGM. But in my owners sheet, which says p/n 392-0247-RC. it says "Use charger for charging a LEAD-ACID battery only". I will contact company and keep you posted. While newly purchased, mine came from O'Reilly auto parts and perhaps was old stock? Guess that one will continue duty on my wifes Yamaha and I will buy another for my V and my Honda.
I finally unplugged mine from the wife's bike this morning and it says p/n 021-0123. The part number above of 392-0247-RC must be the instruction pamphlet. So, I am still going to e-mail their tech support to be sure and YES, I will probably buy another to use on my V and my Rebel and leave the first one permanently on the wife's Yami which does not get ridden as much, or as fast, or at high rpm's to charge the battery. Yes, Fast Eddie, I could tell her to ride more. But on page 3 of the marriage handbook it says that suggestion would have the same success rate as pushing wet noodles up hill. I will let you know what tech support says.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...Yes, Fast Eddie, I could tell her to ride more. But on page 3 of the marriage handbook it says that suggestion would have the same success rate as pushing wet noodles up hill. I will let you know what tech support says.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode