Help w/PIAA 500/600Hz dual horn install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help w/PIAA 500/600Hz dual horn install

Please give me a perfect place to install dual PIAA 500/600Hz horns on a 2012 Vs. 650. Finding where to mount these lifesavers is a different task on every bike. The Japanese don't leave too many places behind the fairing to mount them either (even their oem disk, beep-beep horn is hanging outside of the front fairing edge.)

Ideally, I'd like to point them towards my front fender from under the head lamp somewhere. I'm sure there is a perfect place only an oem shop Wrench knows. The OEM horn hangs down maybe because I can barely hear it with my ear plugs in while driving, esp. on the expressway.

These are the best insurance in the city, better than flashing lights hanging on your bike. In the large city of SO CA (LA), they are essential.

THANKS!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
make a bracket off the oem mount and mount them on it, or use a pipe clamp style and mount it to it
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
make a bracket off the oem mount and mount them on it, or use a pipe clamp style and mount it to it
Thanks!

I saw where Capt. Kirk used the OEM bracket, so I'll try something similar. I just feel like a naked bulls-eye target riding in LA, CA without them! Sometimes, it's hard to get the perfect mount for safety items when you just want to get them on to help save your life.

It's great to sneak behind the driver's door that just pulled out in front of you and blast them with a 500/600 semi-truck sound horn, ha ha. A little pee and poop in their pants may help keep them from pulling out in front of motorcycles again!

Thanks Again!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have one mounted in place of the oem & one mounted in the left fairing.
I did find that they worked better when I ran a dedicated wire from the battery thru a relay. The factory horn wire then just has to carry the current to trip the relay.

It's probably my imagination....but I swear that the horns get louder when someone is trying to kill me.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
IMG_0766 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thanks Joe,

That looks like a real air horn! Mine aren't but if you point them forward, they blast pretty good anyway. Thanks for the idea!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:11 PM

Garage
I did like Joe did and used the factory point on right.
I fab up an L bracket, and all is well. I tapped off the regular horn lines to control the relay.

Mike
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
I did like Joe did and used the factory point on right.
I fab up an L bracket, and all is well. I tapped off the regular horn lines to control the relay.

Mike
Hi Mike!

I'm from Atlanta GA too (Tucker, GA).

"I tapped off the regular horn lines to control the relay."

Do you mean you just split the cables like in the instructions, and THAT served as a relay mechanism for the new horn; or did you put a relay somewhere in the system? I kind of liked that about PIAA horns: it was just wiring and brackets. But if it improves sound or the electrical system, I am all for it.

Thanks!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I vaguely remember a thread related to this subject; I thought that the bottom line was that the factory wiring was marginal for running the pair of PIAA horns..
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Used an Eastern Beaver dual horn wire harness / relay. These are older Fiamm fwy blasters. Loud but lower tone than the Piaa's. Time to UPGRADE!

Used OEM attach point with a bolt/nut (must insulate from one another, used rubber flange cover and plastic bolt sleeve) pointed horns down so low risk on water. Not the best looking but works well, easy install / access and good sound factor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150103_073244.jpg (54.6 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by rydbayb; 01-03-2015 at 11:11 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
I vaguely remember a thread related to this subject; I thought that the bottom line was that the factory wiring was marginal for running the pair of PIAA horns..
Someone told me that the OEM horns sound pretty loud IF you run them thru a relay so they get the FULL voltage....

Here's a pic of where my WOLO Bad Boy (it's a Stebel Nautilus "clone" available at Harbor-Freight or Princess Auto) mounts behind the left fairing, so it's hidden from view while still making LOTS of noise! When the Stebel Nautilus 'died' on the GREEN HORNET, I replaced it w/ a WOLO, same location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03576 copy.jpg (42.5 KB, 75 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
Used an Eastern Beaver dual horn wire harness / relay. These are older Fiamm fwy blasters. Loud but lower tone than the Piaa's. Time to UPGRADE!

Used OEM attach point with a bolt/nut (must insulate from one another, used rubber flange cover and plastic bolt sleeve) pointed horns down so low risk on water. Not the best looking but works well, easy install / access and good sound factor.
Aren't those too close to the exhaust headers? Keeping the plastic horns away from heat (header pipes) and water makes it challenging, since all the other real estate is mostly claimed. The picture may be an optical illusion though
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Aren't those too close to the exhaust headers? Keeping the plastic horns away from heat (header pipes) and water makes it challenging, since all the other real estate is mostly claimed. The picture may be an optical illusion though
These are 5-6 inches from the closest header. The pic looks closer tho. The right lower plastic cover is 1-2 inches from the pipe. With everything exposed up-front that area gets a lot of air but I'll admit, I have not ridden the bike for hours on end in 100+ degree weather.

I orderd my new ones. I think the 'finish line' race flag decals on the horns will look great on my 2013. If not I'll have to take them off.

Glad you got your 410. That was one of the best mods I ever put on my V.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 PM

Got the Piaa 500 & 600 installed! OMG - sound so good! Way better than the old Fiamms. Used a 1 inch spacer (actually an unused alu bar end) to push the horns out a bit from the original attach point. They should be far enough away from the headers to withstand the heat. No problems with the old fiamm's but they are made of a thicker plastic. We will see. Even with the cone protectors (I decided to leave them on) they are sharp and loud. I like the location and the look as well.

Last edited by rydbayb; 01-08-2015 at 11:11 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Someone told me that the OEM horns sound pretty loud IF you run them thru a relay so they get the FULL voltage....

Here's a pic of where my WOLO Bad Boy (it's a Stebel Nautilus "clone" available at Harbor-Freight or Princess Auto) mounts behind the left fairing, so it's hidden from view while still making LOTS of noise! When the Stebel Nautilus 'died' on the GREEN HORNET, I replaced it w/ a WOLO, same location.
That's where I'd like to mount my PIAA's behind the fairing, bouncing off the ground on either side of front wheel.

When I tried a WOLO Bad Boys on my Dodge Dakota, they sounded like, "wooo wooo." I got my money back ($29?) and got oem stock horns, about 500 Hz: much better, but I may have done something wrong in install procedure. Except for PIAA horns, all third party horns have been bad so far (and oem beep beep motorcycle horns too - those SHOULD be against the law!)

Try PIAA's. The first time I heard them was my BMW K1100LT, and they rocked. When you have a-holes pulling out in front of you, they will be peeing and pooting in their pants: and they will look next time after they change their dress (usually.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode