Question on mounting powerlet plug - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question on mounting powerlet plug

Handlebars, rear pegs, plastic panels. Or under the seat? I was thinking of buying an extra gps adapter/cord and routing under the tank to the motowerk mount, with an plug under the seat. Which powerlet plug works best for the Versys? Thanks!
http://www.powerletproducts.com/powerOutletInfo

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Are you going to plug the GPS into the Powerlet or connect it under the seat? If you are going to connect the GPS permanently you might want to look at a distribution box under the seat. If you want an outlet within easy reach mount a Powerlet in either side of the console (black plastic panels) and you can get plugs for jsut about anything including Y adapters.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM

I got this from twisted throttle. It is made by S-W Motec. It uses the smaller BMW / mini outlet.......it works fine.

Last edited by mcrider; 03-03-2010 at 08:00 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just ordered the AKT-001-48 Cigarette Socket Panel Mount Kit from Powerlet to use for GPS,Phone,etc.The also have a plug to convert it to allow heated vest and such.But now that i see the one that mcrider has i like it alot better easy mount and not having to cut the panel

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM

I ordered a gps power cable from GPSCity and wired mine direct. If you want to track elapsed trip time with idle time on your gps, you will need to have it powered all the time.

If it is a power outlet you want, why not mount it in the dash? I bought a step drill from Harbor freight and mounted an $8.00 boat cigarette lighter outlet in the right side of the dash. I wired it direct to the battery with a fused lead at the battery.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...&pictureid=155

Works well for charging my cell phone while it is in the tankbag.

You could mount a Powerlet receptacle in the same fashion.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

Last edited by bscott; 03-03-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added link to pic.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Mine's in the dash, which works great. It was a bit of a PITA installing it there, but I did it at the same time I did the heated grip switch and fork light switch so it was one big project. I also like mcrider's version...if I have another outlet that's where it will end up going.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

This is my set up, hope its helps.

The Cig Plug-on dash, is wired to the battery with fuse and the GPS is taped from the Cig plug-(below) and has a fuse on the line -GPS LINE-it wa supplied with fuse.
Both work when ingnition is "ON".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPS Mount (3).jpg (342.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg GPS Mount (6).jpg (219.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg GPS Mount.jpg (364.6 KB, 168 views)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 PM

Garage
I'm thinking of mounting a 12v outlet in the dash like I've seen so many people do. But how do you cut the hole? I don't want to crack the dash.

The outlet I've looked at calls for a 1 1/8" hole and I've found a spade drill bit in that size, would that work?

I also really like what A2Ron did with the underseat mount, I can't figure out how he drilled that hole either

Example of a spade drill bit below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WoodBoringSpadeBit6522825.jpg (2.6 KB, 59 views)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Any drilling work will not crack the dash as its a soft plastic, not hard, so start with a small dia drill bit than work your way to the required size. Just take it easy and watch out for the wires below the dash.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respen View Post
But how do you cut the hole? I don't want to crack the dash.

I can't figure out how he drilled that hole either
Use one of these.

I see you have a Harbor Freight in Little Rock. I picked up a pair of these at HF for about $7.00. Works like a charm!

2008 Versys, SOLD!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM

Garage
Thanks! I will stop by tomorrow and get one of those.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Are you going to plug the GPS into the Powerlet or connect it under the seat? If you are going to connect the GPS permanently you might want to look at a distribution box under the seat. If you want an outlet within easy reach mount a Powerlet in either side of the console (black plastic panels) and you can get plugs for jsut about anything including Y adapters.
I just want to make it as simple as possible because I don't plan to keep the GPS on the bike most of the time. It looks like the dash or handlebar setup might make the most sense, but I will have a lot of cord to stow unless I purchase or make a shorter charger cable. Thanks for the pictures guys!

My Album:
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 AM

Mine is just like Fastoman and I used the hole drill that bscott used...cost about $5 at Harbor Freight. I have been really happy with it. I got a coiled coax cable and it makes connecting my heated gear a breeze.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mine is just like Fastoman and I used the hole drill that bscott used...cost about $5 at Harbor Freight. I have been really happy with it. I got a coiled coax cable and it makes connecting my heated gear a breeze.
You need heated gear in Georgia! Sounds like you are a year round rider! I give up when it is below 40 here. It is finally getting warmer today!

My Album:
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Forstner bits work well in plastic for the Power-let outlets. Have one on each side of my dash.

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 AM

If anyone is looking for a step drill bit, Harbor Freight has a coupon for $7.99 for three, as well as a 20% off coupon here:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...e=magurl5.html

2008 Versys, SOLD!

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
You need heated gear in Georgia! Sounds like you are a year round rider! I give up when it is below 40 here. It is finally getting warmer today!
We don't have a riding season here. We just take days off when it gets really cold or icey. I will ride in the high 20s, but sometimes it is just too much work for the 20 minute ride to work. Heated gear usually isn't necessary above 35 for the ride to work. The Powerlet and coiled cord made the whole process much easier.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 AM

Some more electric choices:
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/electr...s16cuj8slrqbp0

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
We don't have a riding season here. We just take days off when it gets really cold or icey. I will ride in the high 20s, but sometimes it is just too much work for the 20 minute ride to work. Heated gear usually isn't necessary above 35 for the ride to work. The Powerlet and coiled cord made the whole process much easier.
Yeah, I can agree with that! I don't mind the cold nearly as much as the hassle of getting all the layers on before riding. If it's not long enough to make it worthwhile, I just don't bother. I can ride comfortably in the high 20s, but it takes forever to get the layers off if I stop to eat. It's looking up now though - no freezing weather for us in the 10 day forecast.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode