my original clutch-cable... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
my original clutch-cable...

Well, my original clutch-cable on BIG RED 'died' on me yesterday. I was about half-ways to a place 40 miles from here, and when I pulled in the lever, its normal resistance suddenly reduced considerably, and I had trouble finding neutral.

I figured the cable was in the process of failing, so I U-turned and made my way home, reducing use of the lever as much as possible, then changed it out at home after I inspected the lever-end of the cable and saw it had broken several strands.

All-in-all, NOT bad considering that BIG RED's odometer read 53,750 miles!!! I lube it regularly w/ WD40 - (OF COURSE!!!). Now I need to get another to carry under my seat....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just goes to prove nothing lasts now a days.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Freddy lube the hole in the lever where the lug goes into with a bit of grease. If the lug binds up it'll break just like you said yours did.

Still 53,750 miles isn't a bad run!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:46 PM

It's been year since I broke a clutch cable. I have one of those spiffy cable lubers that use a spray can and straw and also use grease on the lever and cable barrel. I never carry a spare cable but just change cables before long trips. Suprisingly, the cables are cheap from Kawasaki. I think I paid about $12 for the last one.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:09 PM

I'm glad to hear you got home. Mine went last summer and I was 2 hours from home and no local dealers had any cables. Thankfully my girlfriends family all ride so arrangements were made for bike storage and a ride home to get a cable. It could have been a hell of a lot worse. 2 min before it let go I had been rolling down the interstate at 80mph. Now I check it all the damn time.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM

Garage
I snapped my cable a few years ago on my way to work. I had to ride 5 miles of stop light roads.
I am sure I was not very nice to my baby that day. I would push as hard as possible when the light turned green, getting the bike moving, then pop up to 1st or 2nd. It definatly sounded rough.
When I got to work I was able to call up my parents and they delivered my truck and trailer, so I didn't have to ride her home.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:07 PM

When you have to stop with a broken clutch cable you can start it in gear.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...Now I need to get ANOTHER to carry under my seat....
For my friend David.... See the CAPITALIZED word above....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
so back in october, you were riding around the AZBDR with no spare clutch cable, including places that you would never have gotten out of without a clutch.

now i find out that you were counting on my spare clutch cable, ya know, the one i've always carried under the seat since day one. Mrs. Fast would be worried if you got stuck out in the dessert somewhere.
Keep following, Dave....

Quote:
...Eduardo doesn't need a spiffy cable luber, he has a spiffy sherpa who carries a spare cable for him.
Here's a pic of the underseat area on BIG RED, from QUITE awhile back, when it was clean.... I felt bad putting that cable ON, all dusty NOW....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
I'm glad to hear you got home....
... I pulled into a vacant lot (planning to change it there, but then decided that I MIGHT have enough left to get home. Which I DID...!). I'm SURE that there was ENOUGH clutch-cable left for a CERTAIN Easterner (from VA) to get home on the "Rat", his home-built Kawasaki SUMTHIN'....

Just pulled it outta the trash-bin.... I can save it for ya, Dave....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-31-2014 at 02:33 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 12:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
When you have to stop with a broken clutch cable you can start it in gear.
I can't start my bike in gear without the clutch though. In neutral it will fire with just the starter. When in first I need to have the clutch pulledn in or the starter won't turn over.

My old ninja would start anytime I hit the starter. Didn't matter if the kickstand was down, in gear, with no clutch....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 AM

You're right. I forgot that the bike I ride the most, the KLR has the side stand safety and clutch lever safety disabled.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
You're right. I forgot that the bike I ride the most, the KLR has the side stand safety and clutch lever safety disabled.
Seems Kawasaki waste a lot of money on those switches...everyone I know has disabled them!

Funny I never HAD a bike that had them until I got the KLR and I never watched MY bike ride off into the sunset because I started it in gear.

Could it be the "Nanny State"?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Seems Kawasaki waste a lot of money on those switches...everyone I know has disabled them!

Funny I never HAD a bike that had them until I got the KLR and I never watched MY bike ride off into the sunset because I started it in gear.

Could it be the "Nanny State"?
its funny watching squids take off with the kick stand down and fall over when they take off
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
...When in first I need to have the clutch pulled in or the starter won't turn over....
I didn't try it, but I believe pulling in the clutch-lever EVEN w/ the cable broken and then hitting the start switch SHOULD enable a start. The "clutch-switch" is attached to the lever itself, NOT the clutch.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:41 PM

At least someone is thinking 'round here. Duh!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 03:27 PM

Another cable of concern may be either one for the throttle. While installing heated grips on mine, I found the return cable has several broken strands at the grip end. Since the bike barely has a thousand miles, it must have been damaged or defective at assembly line.
I'm going to replace it and carry spares for all cables on this bike.

2014 Valkyrie 1800
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Well the best way to never break a cable to buy a spare and carry it with you at all times...you'll never break a cable that way...what else will go wrong?

Who knows?

2012 650 Versys
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrider View Post
Another cable of concern may be either one for the throttle. While installing heated grips on mine, I found the return cable has several broken strands at the grip end. Since the bike barely has a thousand miles, it must have been damaged or defective at assembly line.
I'm going to replace it and carry spares for all cables on this bike.
You don't even need the return cable. If the pull cable breaks you can swap for the return. Cables last a very long time if maintained. I would inspect them all before setting out for the end of the world. Instead of carrying a spare just swap it out before you leave. I have quite a few spares this way. For some reason clutch cables from Kawasaki are very cheap. Last one I bought was about $12.

Last edited by waltermitty; 01-01-2015 at 06:35 PM.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 03:17 AM

Quote:
let's see, you're setting out for the "end of the world", and don't think that the purchase of a $12 spare part that fits nicely under the seat would be an appropriate precaution given the many reports of breakage.

i'll call that advice pure baloney, and hope riders on this forum recognize it.
I agree completely, what's the point of having a "spare" secondhand cable sitting at home in the garage when you're miles away from home. A new cable can fail just like any other mass produced part. If they're only $12 each why wouldn't you fit a new one before a big trip and keep a new one under the seat just in case. Or maybe even fit one of these? http://www.magura.com/en/powersports...allgemein.html
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
let's see, you're setting out for the "end of the world", and don't think that the purchase of a $12 spare part that fits nicely under the seat would be an appropriate precaution given the many reports of breakage.

i'll call that advice pure baloney, and hope riders on this forum recognize it.
Actually, we did set out for the end of the world recently on three old KLRs. A spare clutch cable was not amoung the spares we carried. The oldest bike, a '99 KLR reached Ushuaia yesterday after about 50 days on the road. Spares were plug, clutch and brake levers, water pump seals. How far have you been? The other two bike only made it to Guatamala and back for reasons not related to the bikes. I will be setting out to Ushuaia again next year on my '07 KLR carrying the same spares.

All three bikes had all new cables.

We called that bike the Ratbike because it had a bunch of old parts on it from the bike I rode to Deadhorse, Alaska a few years back . . . without a spare clutch cable.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Actually, we did set out for the end of the world recently on three old KLRs. A spare clutch cable was not amoung the spares we carried...
walter, nobody cares whether you carried a boatload of spares for your KLR, or none.

it's your hard and fast advice for others to participate in such foolishness that becomes the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode