Cheap suspension upgrade - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cheap suspension upgrade

I found this after reading the latest "Bike" mag out of the UK. Has anybody seen or tried this combo kit yet? Looks promising for $279.00.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.p...type=COMBI-KIT

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by Bear on a bicycle; 03-02-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: fixed link...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM

I would be interested in this, if we get some feedback about its results.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 PM

No way I'd run a purple spring

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Versys_guy got the Hyperpro springs set, tried the rear and went back with stock... He has since sold his Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versys_guy View Post
Got my hyperpro springs in yesterday. Had to make a ring to mount over end of shock spring to allow me to press and remove. No easy feat, I recommend taking it to someone with a real spring compressor unless you have a hydralic press and can fit a proper ring.

Mounted and ran it on preload #2, and searched for all my local bumps that I usually try to avoid. Don't have to go far to find them around here! The spring is better than stock but still a little on the stiff side, so I moved it back to preload #1 and will test later. Hyperpro recommends #1 or #2 for preload and 5 - 10mm static sag, and rebound dampening position #2.

Used the HR100 lift to pull shock

P.S. Hyperpro includes a spring mounting manual and explains all settings in detail.
Quote:
I have not put the fork springs in yet, going to change one thing at a time so I can get a feel for it. The Hypro oil for the forks is sae 15 wt.

I agree on the sag increaseing over time, my stock spring was getting better or I was getting used to it.

Going for a ride this morning and will test the new rear on preload #1 and rebound on #2.

Okay, after a pretty good shake down run this morning, I now like the rear and can really tell the forks are stiff now in comparison. Have to build 3 special tools to replace oil and springs in forks, probably in a few days. Golf tomorrow so it must wait, ha.

Update: 8/8/08 Front fork springs installed today, will test in the morning. Built the 3 "special" tools and worked great!
Quote:
Update on the hyperpro springs. I am keeping the forks but went back to stock with the rear spring. After 2 seperate 3 hour rides, the bumps are worse at speed, I believe the stock was better.

Last edited by invader; 03-02-2010 at 08:17 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneman064 View Post
No way I'd run a purple spring

I'm a performance rider and if it makes your bike handle better this is a small hurdle to clear...I'd get it powder coated red.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM

Spring should also be available in black, as on marc11's Hyperpro rear shock and spring assembly... Some have also just painted their spring.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5598
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
I'm not really a fan of progressive rate springs on the front. I prefer linear rate springs because they give constant feel and feedback, while progressive springs change feel and feedback throughout their travel. I have straight rate Sonic springs on my DL650 V-Strom because the OEM's were too soft. This created a much more stable and firmer ride than the OEM's.

On the rear of my DL650, I do have a progressive rate Hyperpro spring that I painted black.
http://stromtrooper.com/showthread.p...sonic+hyperpro

I have been pleased with the OEM suspension on my Versys, so I don't plan on changing it.

Here is a link to Sonic fork springs for Versys owners that are interested in upgrading;
http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/...08539379f82a6b

Sonic's website offers various spring rates based on rider weight and riding style, and they even have a spring rate calculator;
http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/...08539379f82a6b

Last edited by E-nigma; 03-02-2010 at 08:45 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 AM

I just got off the phone with Josh @ Hyper-pro USA and was inquiring about a black shock spring for $120.He said they would take about 3 weeks to order.I also inquired about a group buy.He said if 10 guys want one he could wave the shipping($12-$20) depending where in the US.Any takers out there?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 PM

I got an e-mail from Rich @ Sonic springs.He says they have fork springs but no shock spring for the V.Looks like Sonic is asking 1/2 the price of Hyper-Pro for fork springs.I believe I will get my shock spring from Hyper-pro for $120 and fork springs from Sonic for $80. $200 for both.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Stock fork spring rate: 0.620 kg/mm

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

When checking manually, my fork spring took 28 kg to compress it down for the initial 40 mm, resulting in a rate of 0.7 Kg/mm... At any rate, my stock springs provided marginal support at maximum preload with stock 10W oil, and now at 3 turns out from max preload with 15W oil.

Gustavo used 0.85 kg/mm Sonic fork springs that are about 45 mm longer than stock. He cut the spacers 8 mm shorter than the difference in length for less initial preload. The spacers originally measure 100 mm for the right, and 118 mm for the left.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 AM

Progressive Suspension's #11-1521: 0.71 to 1.16 kg/mm, 340 mm free length, 37 mm OD progressive springs available for $70.80 USD with $10 off coupon code + about $10 shipping in USA. Stock springs are 36 mm OD, but the inner fork bore is 40 mm ID. Like Gustavo's Sonic springs, they're longer than the 300 mm stock springs but can be installed by cutting the spring spacers.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...21&Click=6154&
Attached Files
File Type: pdf progressive_suspension.pdf (123.3 KB, 124 views)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Progressive Suspension's #11-1521: 0.71 to 1.16 kg/mm, 340 mm free length, 37 mm OD progressive springs available for $70.80 USD with $10 off coupon code + about $10 shipping in USA. Stock springs are 36 mm OD, but the inner fork bore is 40 mm ID. Like Gustavo's Sonic springs, they're longer than the 300 mm stock springs but can be installed by cutting the spring spacers.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...21&Click=6154&
I'm just curious about how this spring rate would work in a Versys, since a Goldwing weights 900 lbs (and much of this weight is on the front of the bike). I would think that after the first inch or two of compression, the already stiff forks on the V would be even stiffer/harsher with this spring?

Having a different spring length and preload should help some, but how much?

Are you looking for a stiffer feeling front end on your V? Or?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Stock fork spring rate: 0.620 kg/mm

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english
I know we have been through this before, but there is no way the OE spring is 0.62 kg/mm. I measured either 5 or 4.9mm of wire diameter (it seemed to vary in different sections of the spring), 21 active coils and a mean coil diameter of 31mm, which seems to be right, because that's very similar to what invader and others measured. Let's assume the smaller wire diameter (which gives a lower spring rate), put that into a spring equation and you get 0.92 kg/mm. Maybe they have a typo on their site?

Quote:
Gustavo used 0.85 kg/mm Sonic fork springs that are about 45 mm longer than stock. He cut the spacers 8 mm shorter than the difference in length for less initial preload. The spacers originally measure 100 mm for the right, and 118 mm for the left.
That's a good description of what I did, but let me clarify that the 8mm shorter spacer is from an already shorter lengths which were adjusted to make up for the longer springs. You can read about it here:
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=5461.0

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gustavo; 03-12-2010 at 10:05 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM

0.62 kg/mm did seem strangely low, and I really thought their claimed rate was more than that... A calculated rate gives you a good approximation, but the spring's actual measured rate also depends on its particular material and specific properties. My individual fork springs do take 28 kg to compress them for the initial 40 mm, confirming an initial rate of 0.7 kg/mm. They may need more than 56 kg to compress down by 80 mm, so the average rate over its usable range might be a bit higher... You did install the Sonic 0.85 kg/mm springs with 8 mm less initial preload.
Hyperpro fork springs for the Versys have a free length of 295 mm, with a rate of 0.765 kg/mm to 1.229 kg/mm (higher rates than Progressive Suspension 11-1521 springs). They come with the recommended 15W oil and settings for pre-load and rebound damping.

Last edited by invader; 03-12-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode