Give engine guards the only one for 2012 in California? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Give engine guards the only one for 2012 in California?

Thanks! They look to be about the cheapest too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 09:57 PM

I put the SW-Motech on my 2014, but I also ended up taking off the smog canister. I did have it on with the bar, however, and it works after a little grinding.

I think the Givi probably looks better, although the SW-Motech is stronger.

2014 Versys ABS

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
I put the SW-Motech on my 2014, but I also ended up taking off the smog canister. I did have it on with the bar, however, and it works after a little grinding.

I think the Givi probably looks better, although the SW-Motech is stronger.
When I asked GIVI about their crash bars for 2012 with California pollution, they said, " as far at the TN422 goes, unless the carbon canister is mounted up toward the front of the bike you shouldn’t have any problem."

Where is my carbon canister mounted at? I'm sorry for dumb questions, but I'd just like to get my safety items ordered asap (esp. in California!) "Toward the front of the bike", is not well defined to me.

THANKS!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 09:54 AM

When looking at the left side of the bike(as in passenger side here in the USofA) there is a plastic cover which obscures the view of the cylinder which you get on the opposite side. There are a few small hoses going into it.

2014 Versys ABS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
When looking at the left side of the bike(as in passenger side here in the USofA) there is a plastic cover which obscures the view of the cylinder which you get on the opposite side. There are a few small hoses going into it.
Thanks!

I need to print the shop manual out this weekend. Someone said when I first came here that I could get mods for pennies on the dollar on the FOR SALE thread, ha ha. The earlier models have a lot of deals, but the later 2010-2014 not so much. Just getting anything you need is good though.

Thanks again. Crash bars are cool. I've just never had so many restrictions on crash bars before, and the Givi seem to have the 'least' amount of required adaptations.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Here's a pic of my '09 w/ SW-Motech crash-bars AND the charcoal cannister still in place (it's GONE, now...)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05960 copy.jpg (83.7 KB, 79 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

I think I'd like the Hepco Becker crash guards, but I don't want to pay $91 or the Queen's tax for shipping putting them over $320 from Australia! Hepco Becker case guards (same type guard) is what I had on my Nighthawk 750 and they held up great: just a chrome scrap on one side from the pavement. The centerstand and now this at $300 for an accessory. They were both just a little over $100 for my Nighthawk 750: sticker shock!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's a pic of my '09 w/ SW-Motech crash-bars AND the charcoal cannister still in place (it's GONE, now...)!
Hi Eddie, your picture of the trailer got my attention, did you buy it or build it, I will be retired in a month, and would like to travel a bit, looking at a one or two bike trailer, the one I have now I built, but it weighs 400 LBs and was made for hauling 2000LBS and my old dirt bike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I think I'd like the Hepco Becker crash guards, but I don't want to pay $91 or the Queen's tax for shipping putting them over $320 from Australia! Hepco Becker case guards (same type guard) is what I had on my Nighthawk 750 and they held up great: just a chrome scrap on one side from the pavement. The centerstand and now this at $300 for an accessory. They were both just a little over $100 for my Nighthawk 750: sticker shock!

I had the Hepco,Beckers and they saved my leg from much worse damage when a car hit me....$221 & Free Shipping.....http://www.accessoryinternational.co...ersys-650.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If you can find a new or used set of H/B's for a 2007-2009 they will work only a different bolt length is need for one bolt.

IMG_0008 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Hi Eddie, your picture of the trailer got my attention, did you buy it or build it, I will be retired in a month, and would like to travel a bit, looking at a one or two bike trailer, the one I have now I built, but it weighs 400 LBs and was made for hauling 2000LBS and my old dirt bike.
It's this Harbor-Freight one

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb...res-90153.html

w/ the addition of a 12" spare (under the tongue), some plywood for the "deck" (1/2"?), an H-F front wheel chock, and some 'formed' aluminum bits (ramp, etc). Because of the shortness of the tongue you need to be CAREFUL backing it, OR you can weld an extension to it. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send a few more pics.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode