If I had to jump start my Versys.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If I had to jump start my Versys....

I was given a brand new set of "mini" jumper cables for XMas last year. If my battery was to die out i the middle of nowhere, what id the proper procedure for jumping a bike? Can I jump it from another bike? A car? And I read somewhere that if jumping from a car you are not supposed to connect the black/neg cable to the bikes battery, but to the frame instead.....?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM

You can jump it from a car, just make sure the car isn't running. And you're always supposed to hook the negative on the dead vehicle to the frame.

If you had a dead batter I'd try to bump start it first though
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I found the answer.....

Jump Start The Battery From Another Motorcycle

1. Position the two motorcycles so the batteries are close enough together to facilitate the length of the jumper cable. Ensure the motorcycle with the good battery is NOT running.
2. Connect the RED clamp of the jumper cable to the positive (+) terminal on the dead battery.
3. Connect the BLACK clamp of the jumper cable to the negative (-) terminal on the dead battery, or to a grounded item on the motorcycle, such as the frame.
4. Connect the BLACK clamp of the jumper cable to the negative (-) terminal on the good battery, or to a grounded item on the motorcycle, such as the frame.
5. Connect the RED clamp of the jumper cable to the positive (+) terminal on the good battery.
6. Start the motorcycle with the good battery and wait a few minutes.
7. Start the motorcycle with the dead battery
8. Remove the RED cables first from the good battery, then from the bad battery.
9. Remove the BLACK cables from both batteries.
10. Leave the motorcycle with the bad battery running until you reach your destination and/or find a suitable place to re-charge the battery with a battery charger.

Jump Start The Battery From A Car

The procedure to jump start a motorcycle from a car is the same as it is for jump starting it from another motorcycle except for item (6). A car battery has more amperage, and the charging system for a car is much more powerful than that of a motorcycle. When jump starting a motorcycle from a car, DO NOT START THE CAR'S MOTOR because the extra power from the charging system will possibly destroy the motorcycle's charging system and could cause a fire. The car battery should have enough power to start the motorcycle without the car's motor running.

Read more at Suite101: Motorcycle Repair: Battery: How To Deal With A Dead Battery http://motorcycle-maintenance-repair...#ixzz0gPVG4vWD

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Ask MOM you'll probably find the answer there.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 PM

No bump start on a dead battery with a fuel injected bike any way. It must have enough charge to run fuel pump and "prime injectors" and run electronic ignition.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM

I have used my Verys to jump start my Chrysler Sebring a couple of times.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Not to high-jack the thread, but I will.

I made some mini jump cables out of monster speaker wire and some small alligator clips from Radio Shack. Cost was about $10.00, only did it myself because everything I looked at was too bulky. Used them about 3 times in 10 years, but never for my bike, one HD, one Honda ST and a Corolla.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM

One of the local yamaha dealers here in town told me to never jumpstart a bike direct from a car battery, but instead to plug into the 12v/ cigarette lighter because they are commonly fused at 5 or 10 amps and it adds an extra level of safety for the bike.

Any thoughts on this?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 AM

That's not necessary, sartek. If the car isn't running the bike will only draw the power it needs from the car battery.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartek
One of the local yamaha dealers here in town told me to never jumpstart a bike direct from a car battery, but instead to plug into the 12v/ cigarette lighter because they are commonly fused at 5 or 10 amps and it adds an extra level of safety for the bike.
I suspect that even a 5 to 10 amp fuse would blow when starting a Versys unless you first let the Versys battery charge for many minutes. In that case most of the starting current would come from the Versys battery, and only a lower sub 5-10 amp current from the other vehicles battery. I wouldn't worry about protecting the other vehicle by using a fused circuit.

I also take issue with the jump starting procedure in tenover's post. Here's how it should be done in cars, and I believe, in motorcycles as well: (I'll explain my reasoning after the procedure.)

1. Attach one end of the red cable to the dead battery's positive terminal.
2. Attach the other end of the same red cable to the positive terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.
3. Attach one end of the black cable to the negative terminal of the battery in the starting vehicle.
4. Attach the other end of that black cable to the engine block of the car with the dead battery. Look for unpainted metal surfaces and be sure it will clear anything moving when the car starts. Do not attach the negative cable to the dead battery itself.
5. Start the car. (Or motorcycle.)
6. Remove the cable connections in the reverse order that you put them on. That means that the first disconnection is from the block, and the last is from the positive terminal of the car that has just been started.

The reason you don't connect the black cable to the dead vehicles negative terminal is that the dead battery when charging will give off hydrogen gas. This is true for all lead acid batteries including gel and glass mat batteries which are now common in motorcycles. If you spark the cable, especially during removal when the jump started battery has charged for some time, the risk is greater.

On our motorcycles it's tough to connect a lead to the "block" because the engine is painted. You can usually find some unpainted ground connection that will work and carry enough current to start the bike.

The last issue is whether it's safe to jump start a bike from a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenover
The procedure to jump start a motorcycle from a car is the same as it is for jump starting it from another motorcycle except for item (6). A car battery has more amperage, and the charging system for a car is much more powerful than that of a motorcycle. When jump starting a motorcycle from a car, DO NOT START THE CAR'S MOTOR because the extra power from the charging system will possibly destroy the motorcycle's charging system and could cause a fire. The car battery should have enough power to start the motorcycle without the car's motor running.
I think the issue of having the cars engine running or not is not important. Sure, a cars charging system is much more powerful than a bike's. But the voltage is regulated the the same 14ish volts as a bikes. I can't see how a running car would provide a dangerous amount of power to the bike when a fully charged car battery in a non running car would not. The issue here could be that the bikes battery is so dead that connecting it to a high current 12 volt source (car battery in a non running car) or 14 volt source (car battery in a car with the engine running) delivers a high enough current to hurt the bike battery.

In the case of a totally dead battery the safest route would be to use a battery charger designed for motorcycle batteries.

Having said that I will add that I have successfully started bikes with totally dead batteries from cars. I just don't connect the black jumper cable to the negative terminal on the battery, and I let the battery charge for 5 to 10 minutes before attempting to start the bike.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM

always keep one thing in mind when using a set of jumper leads, to be used from a late model vehicle/Bike... prefer to have the postive lead with a surge protector on it - so that you don't blow your ECU or the other (late model) vehicles computer in case you miss-connect - or too much power coming through... you'd hate to do some damage either way. re: Machog making his jumper leads... that's a neat idea so that you can keep them on the bike - but I'd find a surge protector to add into the postive line of the jumper lead so that in case one makes a mistake.. woops - we no go now.... (d'oh!) HATE THAT!

Last edited by Andreas56; 04-11-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode