Is there a California approved Vs. Muffler slip on? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is there a California approved Vs. Muffler slip on?

I just want to get the exhaust fumes behind me instead of below/in front of me. I'm surprised this has passed safety audits. Exhaust fumes are not healthy!

Is this why the seat dumps you into the gas tank? When you fix that problem, you are asphyxiated with exhaust fumes! Maybe I can get this one for free, after pointing the serious problem out (plus a bonus engineering commission?)

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 06:27 AM

Garage
You're the only one I have ever seen complain about this. There are exhausts that stick out further such as

All ugly but if that's what you want go for it
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 AM

Header bolts?

Hey there, I have not heard of this either. Take a sec and see if the header bolts are tight, and or the header portion that attaches to the muffler.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

If they are CA approved, I would. I just got a new Shoei 110 helmet and chrome shield (tight seal), and fumes were definitely in my helmet. Maybe I have an exhaust leak on a 7k mile used bike, but either way, gas fumes are fight or flight time! And it seems more plausible since my seat pads allow me to sit back, in traffic or idle, fumes come up at me. California roads are parking lots most of the time. The exhaust goes to the side instead of down. Maybe i just need a deflector or rotate the exhaust pipe down if I could.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get my mechanic to check it out and I'll get all new exhaust gaskets and donuts. I started to black out strong and quick (with my helmet lid closed the first half mile.) What the hell!?!?

Last edited by kawdog; 12-15-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What about the vehicle you were following? Were you breathing in its exhaust fumes?

Is there chain lube smoking on your muffler, or an oil leak or rubber hose burning on your exhaust?

Last edited by invader; 12-15-2014 at 08:25 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
You mentioned GAS fumes. Is it raw gas you smell or exhaust? I have never smelled exhaust fumes on mine, excepting after oil change when bike is on the lift and I run it to check for leaks (with garage doors open). Exhaust fumes when riding, never.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 AM

From what I recall pretty much none of the aftermarket exhausts are street legal in CA, due to CARB (CA Air Resources Board) aka smog laws. The stock exhausts have a catalyzer built in, most aftermarkets don't. But, that hasn't stopped plenty of people from putting aftermarket pipes on their bikes...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 AM

Scott oiler or such . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What about the vehicle you were following? Were you breathing in its exhaust fumes?

Is there chain lube smoking on your muffler, or an oil leak or rubber hose burning on your exhaust?
I have a gravity fed oiler and after I let some loose going down the road I have a little smell for a while. Just saying.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had this on when i registered my bike in Cali..No issues. As of 1-1-2013 2013 & newer bikes in Cali can no longer be fitted with an aftermarket exhaust. But since you have a 2012 your golden...IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
california?? soon you'll have to buy electric bikes....
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
california?? soon you'll have to buy electric bikes....
With those 2 cunts: Nancy Pelosi & Barbara Boxer we will all be on bicycles.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
You mentioned GAS fumes. Is it raw gas you smell or exhaust? I have never smelled exhaust fumes on mine, excepting after oil change when bike is on the lift and I run it to check for leaks (with garage doors open). Exhaust fumes when riding, never.
I may still be dizzy! I had just gotten on it for my first test ride and may have idled it too long with my sealed helmet visor shut. As soon as I hit the road and made a right turn (no other cars on road), I started to black out until I flipped the visor up.

The 2012 model was bought new 4-21-14 and only had 6900 miles because the owner and his wife were very short and could not ride it :-) So it is in very new condition from sitting in a garage. I'll keep my visor up at idle, since I do get whiffs of exhaust fume when not rolling, but I'll get all the exhaust gaskets and donuts and reinstall the exhaust asap.

It does sound bad-azz, so one of the short owners may have gotten it too far over and rested on the exhuast somehow. Exhausts have to be perfectly installed, so somewhere in the last 2 years it may have dinged the exhaust and impacted the seal. No biggy, I'm happy as hell with my Vs. (it does sound bad azz! :-)
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Are you medicated? Why would you sit there idling with your visor shut?
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you medicated? Why would you sit there idling with your visor shut?
Nope. While I was sitting on it, I probably did not shut the lid; but did when I putted around a condo commuity (1/2 mile) before I hit the street. It was the first time I used a Shoei 1100 helmet with Shoe chrome shield (tightest shield seal I have ever seen.)

I never worried about sitting on a bike and idling it before. This is the first one with the exhaust below and in front of the pilot! (except for a 1971 Norton Commando with headers only maybe, that I did not idle like that.)

Before newer bikes, 3' was a minimum total exhaust length for best tuning. Then BMW F650 had dual chamber cat exhaust. I have to look better at this one and can preliminarilly see some cuvey headers, but have not located the cat or how they economize the length with chambers. I personally don't like the (toxic) exhaust restriction, but it has its advantages logistically (and there is nothing I can do about it anyway.) Until I get a center stand, I am not going to idle the bike on a side stand alone. From a safety point of view though, it's a
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Engine should always be turned off, be it on a side stand or center stand... The exhaust outlet is not in front of you. This is the first time we hear of such a ridiculous claim. You must be just breathing normal Cali smog, and are also suffering from heat stroke or some other physical ailment.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Engine should always be turned off, be it on a side stand or center stand... The exhaust outlet is not in front of you. This is the first time we hear of such a ridiculous claim. You must be just breathing normal Cali smog, and are also suffering from heat stroke or some other physical ailment.
Actually, I've got my seat paddled where it cradles over the middle hump in the seat so yes, it is in below/front of me coming under my helmet. You have not provided any useful information yet, except to tell me I made a typo: and that was borderline minutia. You must be getting cabin fever from being inside a few months. Do you have any other ID's?
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 PM

Never had a problem with exhaust as you're describing. It seems like my exhaust kicks out pretty far behind.

Internal combustion engines usually smell. You could try sticking a length of flexible exhaust tubing on the muffler and wiring it behind you to see if it alleviates the issue. As weljo posted above, those are the longest pipes they make for the V without going custom. Maybe you could be the first person to have a custom under tail exhaust on the V.

I'm pretty sure someone made one for a ninja 650R....

2014 Versys ABS
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:55 PM

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:09 AM

Garage
It sounds to me like you don't have a stock muffler... I dare say no one has EVER called the stock sound "bad azz" and I too have never heard of this fume issue.
Got any pictures of the smelly culprit?

Luck favors the prepared.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-man View Post
It sounds to me like you don't have a stock muffler... I dare say no one has EVER called the stock sound "bad azz" and I too have never heard of this fume issue.
Got any pictures of the smelly culprit?
If my grandma had heard my bike she would have been excited. She would have loved a hopped up sewing machine!

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode