Ignition coils - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ignition coils

I was replacing spark plugs yesterday, and when I put the one of the coils back I noticed it didn't feel like it grabbed the spark plug. It felt OK on the other side. So I took it out again and checked with the spark plug I had just taken out, and sure enough, the socket on the coil isn't as tight as the other one. Looking at the spark plugs, the one that was on that side with the loose fitting coil looks to have a lot more wear than the one that fits well, so I am assuming it wasn't always getting a good spark.

I remember hearing about cracked coils, but not about loose fitting coils. It's easy to miss, because the coil itself fits tight in the spark plug hole, but you should feel some resistance when it goes over the spark plug terminal.

Of course, this had to happen on a Saturday evening (most shops are closed tomorrow, some on Monday too) before I head out on a trip next week. It doesn't look like anybody has these in stock (all the sites I looked at said 5-7 days to ship). So, next time you have the airbox off, check your coils for fit.

Also, anybody have a pair of (good fitting, obviously ) coils he can overnight to me? I'll buy you a new set in return.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
could you try bending the pins that contact the spark plug back closer together ?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 05:10 PM

I had this problem. I noticed that the little pin inside the coil socket was missing. This is the horizontal spring pin that drags against the threads on the top of the spark plug to make good electrical contact and secure the coil.

I replaced the coil with one purchased on ebay.

The replacement caused a noticeable drop in vibration in the bike at certain engine speeds, which I attributed to the bad coil's occasional misfire.

Relatively easy, cheap fix.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a spare pair of 2007 coils with about 8,000 miles on them if you still need them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Michael - Mine still looked like the spring was there, it just lost tension and stopped pushing against the threads of the spark terminal.

Invader - thanks for the offer. I got it fixed (at least temporarily), which should be enough to keep me on the road to Mexico and back. When I come back, I'll replace them with a new pair.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
..... which should be enough to keep me on the road to Mexico and back.

Gustavo
Hola Paisano, If coming my way, stop by and say hi, it has been 7 years since the last Christmas you popped in. I'll put on some Nescafe. If you have problems here, I have an extra '08 OEM stator, R/R, set of the Mitsubishi coils, and set of bearings front and rear, spare set of tires.

We will be here for Christmas, but then south for vacation in January.

I don't know the Coca Cola Marketing plan in the USA, but here in Mexico one day a couple of months ago I bought a coke at a restaurant in Zacatecas and on the side of the can was printed 'Gustavo'. Here we market Coca Cola with the names of our friends printed on the cans. I was very lucky to meet the young Gustavo some years ago and I count him as my friend today.

Que te vaya bien Gustavo.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Hola Paisano, If coming my way, stop by and say hi, it has been 7 years since the last Christmas you popped in. I'll put on some Nescafe.
I was wondering if you were around during Christmas. I am meeting some friends in Puerto Vallarta (it's basically an excuse to ride El Ezpinazo ), I have to check the timing and route options. I'll send you more info off-line later.

Saludos,

Gustavo

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM

I'm glad to see that it worked out. Have a great trip!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
I'm glad to see that it worked out. Have a great trip!
Thanks! So far so good:

Gustavo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode