LED indicators - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
LED indicators

Hi Guys - and hope someone can help? Running an 07 build / 08 model (Green) here in Perth, Western Australia. Want to put on a pair of mirrors with built in LED indicators, but have seen comments re needing to add resistors. O.K on the spanners but not the electrics, so "Q"What resistors, where, and why. On another front - BUZZING - just started after arounf 1,500km and have placed a small rubber wiring Grommet in the gap between the instrument cluster & the cowling and improved. Looking at all the methods listed it seems that it about finding where is the best place to damp / absorb and that differs from bike to bike.

P.s Forecast of 41c for fri - a bit too hot for me to take the bike out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM

the flasher unit needs a certain amount of resistance in the circuit to flash correctly. LED are lower wattage draw so need more resistance added or a different flasher. I put a lower wattage bulb in an XR front signal lights and had to use a different flasher unit that the instructions indicated. It was a tridon EL-12 flasher btw.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that - as I want to ADD a pair of LED mirrors & retain the existing indicators, am I still likely to have a problem given the OME will still be drawing power?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM

I "added" running light, brake light, and turn signals - all LEDs - while keeping the OEM lights. No changes needed in the flasher. Everything worked fine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM

Exclamation

I just tried to replaced my rear turn signal bulbs with 12V Amber LED's and no workey....

1. The front signals(OEM incandescents) flashed at the proper rate in front as though the rear was working, but the rear(LED) replacement bulbs would not light up at all.

2. When I removed the rear(LED) bulbs altogether from the sockets the flash rate double, detecting no load.

Does anyone know why. SuperBrightLEDs.com says I may need an LED flasher relay. Doe this sound right? See them at the bottom of the page in this link below. Where is our OEM flasher relay located on the bike and do I need the pin style or flat adapter connection style flasher relay?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Fflashers.htm

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

My Titan & Versys Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Rubicon Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Duty Website:

20,000+ Versys miles and loving every one!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Found the problem. I had the leads for the aftermarket signals I installed reversed. That's why the incandescents would work, but not the LED's. The LED's would only take power from the inner nipple, not the outer body of the socket. I also replaced the flasher relay, so I'll have no problems replacing the front signals with these Motrax LED's in the near future.

My Titan & Versys Website:

My Rubicon Website:

My Super Duty Website:

20,000+ Versys miles and loving every one!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode