Engine Guards and Vibration??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Engine Guards and Vibration???

Put on the SW Motech engine guards today and I could swear that the vibration (buzz) is more noticable. Anyone else had this experience? Or, is it in my mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM

With or without the handlebar balancers on? It has been discussed that they make a difference. Just my guess...

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
With or without the handlebar balancers on? It has been discussed that they make a difference. Just my guess...
I'm using CRG mirrors, so no weights (the vibration was less noticable before the engine guards and I already had the CRG's). I'm thinking about getting the Motovation weights that have a place for the CRG's. Also, I'm going to "stuff" the bars with silicon (It helped on a thumper I had).

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:17 PM

Oh great. I'm going to put on sw motech engine guards tomorrow. The last thing I wanted to hear was more vibration in the bars.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Oh great. I'm going to put on sw motech engine guards tomorrow. The last thing I wanted to hear was more vibration in the bars.
Hopefully it doesn't happen to everyone???? Maybe nobody else has had this as an issue, or maybe it is common. Hopefully somebody (or a few somebodies) will comment on their experience. But, I'm going to do both of the things I noted above, because the "buzz" wasn't enough to bother me and now is just on the edge of bothering me.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 AM

No vibration with the H & B Bars.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM

I installed the SW Motec on my V. I did notice notice a smidge more buzz. But barely enough to notice. So little that I'm starting to wonder if it's just in my head.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 AM

By the way, what do you torque the engine bolts to?

The diagram is a little confusing. It's showing that I use a locknut where the engine bolt threads in?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 PM

I too noticed a slight increase in vibration with the S W crash bars. However after just a couple of rides it doesn't seem to be any problem. I have the 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket and at 70 mph up to 80 my bike is dead smooth. I do have Bark Buster hand guards but the handle bars weren't a problem. Changed to Honda XR650L mirrors and they solved the mirror issue. I have owned 12 motorcycles including a BMW K1200LT and my Versys has to be my favorite. It's not an LT but then again it didn't cost $21,000.00 dollars either.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 02:35 PM

I have SW-Motec on my Versys with stock handlebars and weights with NO change in any vibration, bars, pegs, mirrors, etc.

I've ridden a LOT of bikes with way MORE vibration that the Versys.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sike View Post
Put on the SW Motech engine guards today and I could swear that the vibration (buzz) is more noticable. Anyone else had this experience? Or, is it in my mind?
I noticed a bit more vibration after the crash bar installation. I thinking it may be due to the extra washers I had to install to take care of the frame tolerance to motor mount issue, (two on one side, one on the other). The whole assembly would be tighter and not sprung as before.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 AM

Loosen the u clamps a little solved my vibes from the sw crashbars
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Loosen the u clamps a little solved my vibes from the sw crashbars
Thanks for the tip, I'll loosen up on the clamps before I put it back on the road. It will be awhile as it's still -9C outside and a foot of snow on the ground.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 PM

I second the "loosen the u clamps". I installed my SWM bars last week and noticed a MARKED increase in vibration in the handlebars, footpegs, dashboard; everywhere! I even noticed what felt like an electric shock in the end of my finger when I pushed the mode button on the dash; it was buzzing so much. (This is at freeway speeds between 4K and 5K on the tach).

I took the u clamps off entirely and everything seemed to go back to about normal. I reduced the torque on the engine bolts from 46 Nm to 32Nm, but couldn't tell much difference (with the clamps still removed).

I put small strip of dense foam around the frame (under the crashbar and u clamp) and tightened everything back up. The vibration returned.

I found that leaving the clamps as loose as possible, while still having enough tension in them to not rattle, is necessary to keep the vibration away. I left the foam in place under the u clamps.

HTH.

Michael
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I'm using CRG mirrors, so no weights (the vibration was less noticable before the engine guards and I already had the CRG's). I'm thinking about getting the Motovation weights that have a place for the CRG's. Also, I'm going to "stuff" the bars with silicon (It helped on a thumper I had).
Rhino Moto makes bar end weights that have grooves for the CRG mirror clamps.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Rhino Moto makes bar end weights that have grooves for the CRG mirror clamps.
I like there stuff, too. But, the Motovation ones (that also have the groove) are already in the mail to me.

Thanks
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 AM

With the H/B bars, the left side sure gave more vibration and that is the side I couldn't get to rest flat until it was screwed down. I did everything I could by keeping screws loose to make it rest flat before tightening, but the bar or bike just don't match. I ended up with a thick rubber washer near the seat connection to space it out and that sure helped.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I bought some new bolts (I like the locking kind that have the nylon inside them). So, I will find out Saturday morning.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Installed the LSL sliders today after a 500 mile ride Tuesday/Wednesday. The bike feels so much better with the SW Motech bars off. The extra vibration really bothered me, and with the bars off I realized that it wasn't so much the quantity (since I have owned cruisers and thumpers) but more the "type." It was a vibration that was just kind of irritating. The green LSL sliders look pretty good with the green of our 09's. Also, put on the Pazzo's. The green of the adjuster is a little bit of a clash, but it is a small enough part that it still looks good.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Installed the LSL sliders today after a 500 mile ride Tuesday/Wednesday. The bike feels so much better with the SW Motech bars off. The extra vibration really bothered me, and with the bars off I realized that it wasn't so much the quantity (since I have owned cruisers and thumpers) but more the "type." It was a vibration that was just kind of irritating. The green LSL sliders look pretty good with the green of our 09's. Also, put on the Pazzo's. The green of the adjuster is a little bit of a clash, but it is a small enough part that it still looks good.
Can you post a pic of the Lsl sliders on your bike. I do believe we all need some protection, however i can't do the H&B. They look way too BMW GS geeky for me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode