To sell or to store that is the question. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To sell or to store that is the question.

I just found out I will be going away for 6-7 months starting in June, I will most likely be storing my V but wanted to know your opinion on another option.

I was thinking that if I sell the bike I can come back and find a new one or some other used one that summer, although if I do end up buying a condo and buying a new car (yes I am selling my car) that may be a bit difficult.

So should I store the bike for that many months? (most probably longer because I will be back in January or February, so won't be riding right away)

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 PM

If you own it outright and this is the bike you want, you should keep it. 6 or 7 months goes by like that. If you are thinking of another bike then this would be the best time to sell. The V is the best bike to own when you have other expenses due to it's reliability and low operational expenses.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 PM

If you sell it and then buy another 7 months later you will have to start fresh with farkles.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
vp7

It is the bike I want especially since I can't have any more than 1.

Yes the farkles are good and maybe I will be able to get the Corbin seat when I get back, and I should be able to pay it off by the end of the 7 months.

My plan was to store it but right now I am doing a bit of a house cleaning just to get rid of a lot of the junk in my house.

Vlast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Like blipco said, 7-10 month go by in a blink of an eye. If you are happy with the way the bike is setup, you will not find it to be financially beneficial to sell and then try to reproduce this same bike later. If you want something different when you get back, there is no point in storing it.

I store my V-Strom in NM for that long, sometimes even longer than a year. I put some Sta-Bil, top the tank off and leave it on a charger. Never had a problem, the bike always starts at the first push of the magic button.

Gustavo

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

I'd store it for sure.
It's better to have than to want, instead of to want and not have!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Bikes are stored for many years and still run fine.

i am assuming that you store it in a garage.

This would be my checklist:

use up the gas that is in the tank, and let the engine run until it dies from lack of gas. The drier the carb and the engine of gas, the better.

take out the plugs and inject about a teaspoon of motor oil in each hole, replace the plugs, and hit the starter for a few seconds to circulate the oil in the cylinders. (NOTE: bike will not start from lack of gas)

mix a good amout of stabil and gas in a gas can and fill the tank to the top with gas.

remove the battery from the bike and put it inside warm somewhere fully charged. I would not leave a battery tender plugged in for 7 months! the battery will survive.

if you have a bike stand, put it on the stand and fill the tires to the manufacturers limit. or just leave it on the sidestand

wax all painted surfaces ( including the black handlebars and other black, colored, and silver painted surfaces, and do not remove until you return and use the bike.

spray all shiny metal surfaces with a light coat of wd40, including boltheads, carb linkages, and hinged items (footpegs, brake lever linkages) AND FORKTUBES.

ALSO, lube the chain with motor oil and a 1 inch paintbrush liberally and wipe excess.

cover the seat with a garbage bag and reinstall (especially if you are leaving it outside!!

Cover with a breathable waterproof bike cover.

LET BAKE FOR 7 MONTHS.... You will return to a bike that is as fresh as it is today... I guarantee it!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
vp7

Thanks for the tips,

I am definitely leaning towards keeping it, because I know if I didn't I probably would never get the chance to buy one again. I love the bike and it does everything I want it to right now, I knot know of any other that would be in the same class and not be cost prohibitive.

As far as I know it will be stored in heated storage by a company with all the rest of my stuff since I will be moving out of my apartment. I am hoping to be able to make it to WV before I go but that's all up in the air.

Vlast

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Store it!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Store it

Why can't ypu take it with you?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
vp7

LOL, IED's etc.

Where I am going people are afraid to drive in very armoured vehicles let alone on a motorbike. I am going for work and that will be 12 hrs a day 7 days a week. No time for "civilian" pleasures.

Vlast

Last edited by vp7; 02-17-2010 at 11:10 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp7 View Post
LOL, IED's etc.

Where I am going people are afraid to drive in very armoured vehicles let alone on a motorbike. I am going for work and that will be 12 hrs a day 7 days a week. No time for "civilian" pleasures.
vp7 I assume this means your going to Iraq or Afghanistan, if so, be careful. Store the bike and take pictures with you! This will give you something to look forward to; coming home to the V will be like coming home to a faithful dog. Good luck.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Well i guess if your not paying for the storage store your V so you can have a nice long streess reducing ride when ya get back
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster_71 View Post

vp7 I assume this means your going to Iraq or Afghanistan, if so, be careful. Store the bike and take pictures with you! This will give you something to look forward to; coming home to the V will be like coming home to a faithful dog. Good luck.
My friend is working out there right now fixing electrical work. He stays on base. Says it's more monotonous than anything. After his hellacious divorce in which he lost everything to his b*tch wife of twelve years he said the thought of being blown up by a rocket attack is worth it as long as every morning when he wakes up she's not there. True story.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
My friend is working out there right now fixing electrical work. He stays on base. Says it's more monotonous than anything. After his hellacious divorce in which he lost everything to his b*tch wife of twelve years he said the thought of being blown up by a rocket attack is worth it as long as every morning when he wakes up she's not there. True story.
The question is, Do I sell or store my wife? Wifes generally don't do well in storage, I think.

My Album:
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
vp7

As some of you know nothing is ever 100% sure int he military but the plan is that I will be going to Afghanistan. But until I am there who knows. I have no wife to store, so I will store the bike and sell the car and look for some new stuff when I get back. Unfortunately when I get back will be in January so not much riding right away when I will have the time to do it. But who knows I will be looking for a new place to live etc.

Vlast

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks for protecting our freedom!

My Album:
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Our thoughts and prayers go with you.
Thank you & be safe,

You may find this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...layer_embedded

www.TheWarriorSong.com

http://www.warriorlegacyfoundation.org/

I hope this works.

Steve

Last edited by sstack; 02-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 PM

If you don't leave the battery on a tender, you'll be be buying a new one when you come home. Small batteries sulfate quickly as they self-discharge in storage. It'll cost only a couple dollars worth of electricity.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:35 PM

Hey VP, May god be with you and all of our troops. We'll pray for you. Be careful and I'm sure we'll hear from you then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode