600 mile service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
600 mile service

Hey everyone! I'm wondering how much the 600 mile service is or what people paid? Also in the owners manual it says there is no need for a valve inspection at the 600 mile service. That would save alot of dough at the dealer. Im thinking of doing the service my self, but wondering if it would void the warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I do all my own maintenance... If done properly, and documented in your service manual, warranty can't be affected.
At 600 miles, you can change your oil and filter. Valve clearance inspection is only recommended at every 15000 miles, but many find some under spec by the time they check, especially on the exhaust side. I checked mine at 4600 miles and found one exhaust valve already at just under specified range, and adjusted them all.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM

+1 on what invader said. Oil change is a snap. Do it yourself and you'll start learning about your bike.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Save your receipts and document you did the required work. It's legal to do so.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I do all my own maintenance... If done properly, and documented in your service manual, warranty can't be affected.
At 600 miles, you can change your oil and filter. Valve clearance inspection is only recommended at every 15000 miles, but many find some under spec by the time they check, especially on the exhaust side. I checked mine at 4600 miles and found one exhaust valve already at just under specified range, and adjusted them all.
thanks for the info Yea I think I will do my own oil change. When I bought my Honda Shadow they threw in the 600 mile service for free.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Great advise above.

Regular oil changes (every 3-4k miles) and lube the chain every 300 miles or so and that's about it.

With 23k miles on mine, I'm still on the same chain and sprockets, they look good for at least another 5k miles.

I cleaned the air-filter at 18k after a long very dusty trip (it was filthy and needed it). While I had the tank off, I changed the plugs-total waste of time and money, plugs will be good to 50k in my view.

Same for valves, I haven't done them and won't until the 50k mark and maybe not even then. Others will disagree with me, but on most of my other bikes I had them done and it was like the plugs, a waste of money. Only bike where it made a slight difference was my KLR.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM

600 mile service takes about an hour and a half. So figure your dealership/shops hourly rate and add the oil and filter.
Good luck and Welcome aboard!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Just what happens at the first service besides changing the oil? My dealer told me when I bought it that they'd do it for $100
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM

My two cents is that I would change the oil and filter within the first 100 miles (preferably the first 50) just to get all the metal bits and break in crud out of the motor. Then again at 600 miles. Do this on any new bike.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsmartBullet View Post
Just what happens at the first service besides changing the oil? My dealer told me when I bought it that they'd do it for $100
They should kiss anyone who pays $100 for a 10 dollar oil change. At 600 miles, they will do little else, I am sure. I only go to my dealer for warranty issues. Everything else I will do myself or find a trusted mechanic and pay them cash. Dealerships make their money on repairs and maintenance. That is why they sell those warranties, they make big money on those.

My Album:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
They should kiss anyone who pays $100 for a 10 dollar oil change. At 600 miles, they will do little else, I am sure. I only go to my dealer for warranty issues. Everything else I will do myself or find a trusted mechanic and pay them cash. Dealerships make their money on repairs and maintenance. That is why they sell those warranties, they make big money on those.
+1 Save your money and do your own oil changes and maintenance.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 AM

And all this time I thought I had done good, getting them to throw it in for free when I was dealin with them on the price of the bike.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrown View Post
And all this time I thought I had done good, getting them to throw it in for free when I was dealin with them on the price of the bike.
Yea I've been pretty lucky dealing,just keep pestering untill they give me a good deal
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM

I think all they do is change oil, check all fluids, and re torque all bolts.

Not really worth it in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode