Engine vibration damping - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Engine vibration damping

There have been many threads on buzzing cowling, vibrating handlebars and mirrors. I assume this is all coming from engines that are not well balanced.

It would be expensive to tear down and balance an engine to see if the vibration problems were eliminated. However, has anyone experimented with adding soft fiber and plastic (rubber) washers around the engine mount bolts; to absorb some of the vibration.

I was thinking about trying it, but wanted to see if anyone else had already done it; and if so, what were the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 PM

I believe the V is designed to use the engine as a stressed member, if this is the case DON'T.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Pegasus, can you say a few more words: what it means to be a stressed member.
Thanks
Scotty

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:01 AM

I think he's saying that the frame relies on the engine itself to act like....part of the frame. Needs to fit solid and precise. Think of it as a "load bearing" wall in your house. If you knock it down or mess with is's structure, the whole house could come down...or part of it anyway. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's right, cabrown... It's just the upper rear mount that uses four rubber bushings on the 2010. The 2006-2009 Versys frame would have to be adapted to fit the bushings. You can see the bushings (92092) placement on 2009 Ninja 650R parts diagram, compared to 2009 Versys. The new frame diagram is barely changed, as you can see the new bushing housings drawn over original design. Maybe the upper rear engine mount bung surfaces could be drilled out and ground down a bit to allow installing the four rubber bushings (2 outer, 2 inner), although that would require removing and reinstalling engine.
Kawasaki rubber bushing part # 92092-0021 ($5.40 each).

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/27652

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 AM

They both explained it much more eloquently than I could have.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Vibration???

(It's not a problem... its a feature!)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Hey Invader

I didn’t know that the ’09 Ninja 650R was already using the new Versys engine mounts - and I’m somewhat relieved to see that it is. I almost didn’t buy the 2010 V because I was a little skeptical about the idea of the rubber mounts with this type of frame/engine design (if it flexes at this mount, what happens at the other mounting points) but I guess if the Ninjas haven’t broken in half... it’ll be ok...

Thanks for posting that up. I’ll sleep a little sounder now.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your insights and input. I will not plan anymore to change the front mounts. I hope that someone, someday, will try the new rear mount and let us know if it helps decrease the effects of engine vibration.
Scotty
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrown View Post
I think he's saying that the frame relies on the engine itself to act like....part of the frame. Needs to fit solid and precise. Think of it as a "load bearing" wall in your house. If you knock it down or mess with is's structure, the whole house could come down...or part of it anyway. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.
Cabrown, are you saying the Versys frame is made out of wood? 2x4 are strong.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Hey Invader

I didnít know that the í09 Ninja 650R was already using the new Versys engine mounts - and Iím somewhat relieved to see that it is. I almost didnít buy the 2010 V because I was a little skeptical about the idea of the rubber mounts with this type of frame/engine design (if it flexes at this mount, what happens at the other mounting points) but I guess if the Ninjas havenít broken in half... itíll be ok...

Thanks for posting that up. Iíll sleep a little sounder now.
Congratulations, you are the first post I have seen that has the 2010. Have you taken delivery?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Congratulations, you are the first post I have seen that has the 2010. Have you taken delivery?
Thanks...

No, I donít have it yet but they promised me itíd be ready by the end of this month - and fortunately itís a short month!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Thanks...

No, I donít have it yet but they promised me itíd be ready by the end of this month - and fortunately itís a short month!
I hope you post a review as I am seriously considering holding out for a 2010 instead of buying used - I live in Canada so there is a bit of a wait for riding season so I have lots of time to make up my mind. I read the main differences, besides the cowling are wrt lessened vibration and softer suspension. Hoping to hear your thoughts after you get a chance to ride it.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 AM

There are no suspension changes from 2007-2009 to the 2010 Versys. Besides cosmetics, passenger seat and grab handles, it's just the upper rear engine mount's rubber bushings and hollow rubber padded footrests, which are not directly adaptable to previous models.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
There are no suspension changes from 2007-2009 to the 2010 Versys.
Invader

I have to disagree with you there as:

The 2007 to 2009 rear suspension unit part No = 450140-14723A

BUT 2010 rear suspension unit part No = 450140-147458

Images / info on part No's from this website - http://www.cornwallkawasaki.co.uk/sh...2&model=VERSYS

I donít know what the differences are but I expect we will find out between us sometime soon

Richard
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Maybe color of spring?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Maybe color of spring?
Possibly, but putting both into a basket this is how they are listed

up to 2009 - 450140-14723A SHOCKABSORBER,SPG,SIL+B £350.74
2010 onwards - 450140-147458 SHOCKABSORBER,P.SILVER £351.40

Richard

Last edited by TowerMan; 02-16-2010 at 02:13 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Maybe they filed the edge of the spring. I saw that mod somewhere here.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM

Greetings, After I fixed the front cowl vibe,added heavy bar end weights, sheepskin seat pad, and hand guards, I only feel a slight vibe on the foot pegs. My Kawasaki ZX6 had much more vibes I never could never get rid of.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 AM

About the suspensions, Kawasaki doesn't mention any changes for 2010. They do talk about how it has stiff springs:

"Both the front fork and rear shock combine long travel with stiff springs... Combining both long travel and stiff springs yields the benefits of both off-road-style and sport-bike suspension, offering excellent road holding in a wide range of street riding conditions and superb feedback, enabling aggressive sport riding."

The new 2010 part number does have more than a last letter difference for the color, but there are no visual differences with the rear shock/spring assembly.

"Consequently, a great deal of development time was devoted to the tuning of the Showa rear shock unit. The high-grade unit makes use of a free piston and 2-stage damping valves to ensure smooth action at the initial part of the compression stroke and firmer damping near full compression, giving a more planted feel."

http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/versys/...ion-and-wheels

What's strange is that a couple of Versys reviews claim that the 2009 model got softer springs with new damping settings, although the part numbers had not changed. 2007 to 2010 Versys all have the same fork spring part # 44026-0097, available for only $30.44 each... Having said that, my 2007 suspensions' support is just fine (190 lbs solo, no gear) at mid #3 preload rear, and 3 turns away from max preload front with 15W (max preload with stock 10W).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode