Cold weather woes - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cold weather woes

It got down into the low 20s here in Philly last night and was still well below freezing when I left for work this morning. I didn't wear my heated gear because I only have to commute about 2 miles to work. However, once I got to work this morning and tried taking the key out of the ignition, I realized that there must have been a bit of moisture in the ignition switch because the key was completely frozen in there. I work in a bad part of town so definitely didn't want to leave my key in the ignition and my girlfriend took our hair dryer with her on her business trip so I had to head to the shop to get the key unstuck. Needless to say, I immediately regretted not hooking up the heat to my gear since the shop I go to is about 15 miles away and I was an icicle by the time I got there. Anyway, they used a heat gun and some teflon lube to get it unstuck.

Anybody else ever run into a similar issue with their V in the cold? Any suggestions for preventing it from happening again? Any suggestions for how to get the key out once it's frozen in there besides using a hair dryer or heat gun? This hadn't ever happened before so I felt unprepared to do anything besides drive to the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.harborfreight.com/pencil-torch-94185.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
That is EXACTLY the type of gadget I was hoping someone would suggest.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM

This is off topic, but I'm from Philadelphia! I got a buddy who also rides a V that lives here. Woohoo! However, we haven't seen any other V in town yet.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
wd-40 or deice spray might have unfroze it but i really dont know
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiDinh View Post
This is off topic, but I'm from Philadelphia! I got a buddy who also rides a V that lives here. Woohoo! However, we haven't seen any other V in town yet.
No way! There was a rider on here a while ago from Philly, but I believe he moved. Oddly enough, there is another V rider who lives a couple blocks away from me and rides a red 08 with a ton of awesome farkles. Let's definitely plan to go riding together once it warms up again!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych-ed View Post
No way! There was a rider on here a while ago from Philly, but I believe he moved. Oddly enough, there is another V rider who lives a couple blocks away from me and rides a red 08 with a ton of awesome farkles. Let's definitely plan to go riding together once it warms up again!
Awesome! I don't want to be stalker-ish and ask too much information, lol.

If you have time can you post in this thread? It'll help keep track to see who is around us and I wouldn't mind a V ride of +4 or more in the spring/summer.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21732
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 PM

Garage
I couldn't get out on Sunday. 41c or 105f is just too hot for me ! Summer is definitely here in Queensland.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That's really horrible. I hate excess heat... It's nice and frigid and snowy up here in the great white north, eh?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieglitter View Post
I couldn't get out on Sunday. 41c or 105f is just too hot for me ! Summer is definitely here in Queensland.
just means you need to ride faster to get more air flowing past ya
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:12 PM

That won't work if the air is higher than normal body temperature... It actually needs to be lower than body temp to keep it from overheating (hyperthermia).

Last edited by invader; 11-19-2014 at 06:39 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
I tried that, but the air was so hot. I could feel it on my eyes. Almost burning. I could only ride with the visor down. Not too much fun. The only positive was that the tires definitely stick to the road !
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 AM

Garage
It was 30 degrees in Florida when I left for work yesterday. Brr. The bike acted like it didn't want to start. Guess it is time to change to a lighter oil.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 07:33 AM

26*f here on the water (normally warmer) onthe coast of NC - I drove today, when there is frost on the roads its just not worth the risk to me. (and my current gloves are really only good town to about 38 with the heated grips)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieglitter View Post
I tried that, but the air was so hot. I could feel it on my eyes. Almost burning. I could only ride with the visor down. Not too much fun. The only positive was that the tires definitely stick to the road !

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That won't work if the air is higher than normal body temperature... It actually needs to be lower than body temp to keep it from overheating (hypothermia).
i know, it was sarcasm
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:14 AM

actually it also works if it improves evaporation - otherwise we would all die very quickly anytime the air temp was in the 90's
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That won't work if the air is higher than normal body temperature... It actually needs to be lower than body temp to keep it from overheating (hypothermia).
Isn't it hyperthermia when I'm complaining in August & hypothermia for my February rant?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 PM

yes, and statistically more people get hypothermia in 50* weather than in 30* weather because at 50* they think they can handle it and are less likely to dress appropriately.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Wear a wet "sweat-shirt" (and I MEAN soaking wet!) - at 105F it keeps me cool for about 1.5 hours....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Isn't it hyperthermia when I'm complaining in August & hypothermia for my February rant?

Haha, yeah. I thought I might have made that mistake... There is very little difference between both words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode